Are you in a union?

the maoster:
Juddian bangs on about this from time to time, and in my mind he’s absolutely correct; look around at any Co with excellent terms, conditions and wages and I’ll wager my left knacker that they are unionised. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

Absolutely!

I’ll wager my right knacker the same anti union people also want to race around at 50mph on singles…

I’m a union boy too, USDAW. Unions have their flaws & their are things about them I’m not so keen on, but generally a recognised union in the workplace = good working conditions. Quite simply, if we lost the union at our place I am pretty certain saturday, sunday & bank holiday premiums, overtime rates, yearly pay increases, average hourly rate for holidays etc. etc. would gradually follow them out of the door.

Im a union man to.ill always defend our union as they have proven there selfs time and time again.unite is ours

sonflowerinwales:
Being in a union got me £7500 for an unfair dismissal case. Well worth the small amount a month.
Paul

Got me £3.5k for a breach of TUPE regulations from an agency Dec2013 just in time for Crimbo :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

This really has opened my eye to unions. I’m coming out of the Army in a few months and moving into C+E work, and this was one area I had not even considered! Thank you for starting the thread mr lordi I have been edumicated :slight_smile: . Just one thing now… decide which one will be the best for me :smiley:

What does a union do these days ■■?

I’m very much in favour of unions if they work properly but these days they’re just another insurance policy you pay out for every month in my opinion and experience. They may provide you with some legal representation but they don’t have any clout and won’t protect your jobs, terms or conditions anymore. What is the purpose of a union these days? The only credible person I can think of was Bob Crowe and the RMT/ Train Drivers. As for the others, in my opinion the unions are broken and they’re a total waste of time and money… Thatcher had seen to that !!!

I’ve been laid off three times and in those companies I was a member of a union (TGWU). Greedy Stobarts came in, took the work then shut the places down…

Waste of time, do not touch with a barge pole, especially Unite, full of rubbish. Save your money, fight your own battles and take responsibility for your actions.

Unite have coverd our backs but that may be down to the shop steward we have

Ask again 19th September!

Wow if anyone wanted to bring an outside organisation (a union) into my company it would be a No, I run the business my way on my terms if you don’t like them don’t work here.

Muckspreader:
Wow if anyone wanted to bring an outside organisation (a union) into my company it would be a No, I run the business my way on my terms if you don’t like them don’t work here.

Do you by any chance own a mill?

the maoster:

Muckspreader:

Do you by any chance own a mill?

No a sugar plantation

Muckspreader:

Out of interest will you back and fund your employee with representation should the ■■■■ hit the fan if he is involved in an accident. I’m not sure mine will, That is the only reason I’m joining up.

manic-merc:
Waste of time, do not touch with a barge pole, especially Unite, full of rubbish. Save your money, fight your own battles and take responsibility for your actions.

I thought the same ,how wrong i was,i hope it dont come back and bite you on the arse, :neutral_face:

manic-merc:

if you’re in unite, get driver care as they pay for your parking and speeding fines too! :laughing:

Out of interest will you back and fund your employee with representation should the [zb] hit the fan if he is involved in an accident. I’m not sure mine will, That is the only reason I’m joining up.

Here’s a surprise for all you stars who join the union on this promise, you are covered by your employers insurance company indemnity :open_mouth:

also who has received the promised £10k if you lose your licence on medical grounds…

They promise the earth and deliver nowt!

Also with Unite, although not driving at the minute, the reps at our site are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

In fact im wrong.lets all pull out the union and continue the race to the bottom.ill give up my full sick pay for a v8

I received 15K from the T&G as was when i had my heart attack in 2008 and lost my license. Most unions now though are about the perks for members - free legals, cheap insurance, loans, credit cards e.t.c - told by union rep that is the bit they push to get people to sign up.

A lot depends on the employer had some who worked well with the union and some couldn’t care less - it all came down to who treats the driver the best as they find the drivers will stay if they are a good employer.

Just to add to my previous post… it is worth noting that many well unionised drivers enjoying great pay & condition’s aren’t working for firms running the trucks for profit. They are working for the likes of supermarkets.

Reality for a lot of hauliers these days trying to make money out of moving goods around is that it’s a struggle. Some simply aren’t in a position to start offering up the sort of conditions supermarket drivers get. Even if they were, so many modern day drivers are so accustom to working for lousy pay & conditions these days they don’t need to… just get in a few shiny new Volvo’s instead. Bog standard DAF CF’s and better pay all the way for me.