Are you expecting a payrise linked to inflation?

So am new to the HGV industry, infact I’ve not been on PAYE for a long time.

I know my workplace just recently had a 3% payrise, just before I started working there.

So come next March/End of financial year, will you be asking for a payrise matching inflation? Or are you expecting none/less?

Unfortunately our Union agreed a 3 year pay deal 2 years ago, so next year got an eye watering 3% pay rise to look forward to!!

Our minimum wage just went up by 5.2%. Inflation is 5.1%. Stupid prices for rent, staples and fuel. Blaming it all on covid is now being added to by blaming the war in Ukraine. We have plenty of coal, gas and oil, but that’s not helping because the fat cats are just getting fatter at our expense.

Problem is if everyone gets big pay rises, then the BoE will just jack up interest rates aggresively and big wage rises will just fuel further inflation. People should get a pay rise, but only 3 - 4 % as any higher will just end up costing even more.

richiem1987:
Problem is if everyone gets big pay rises, then the BoE will just jack up interest rates aggresively and big wage rises will just fuel further inflation. People should get a pay rise, but only 3 - 4 % as any higher will just end up costing even more.

Yes I agree to a point.

But the other half of me often wonders why this is only ever an argument to be had when it comes to pay rises for “lower” staff (ie not management) whilst the issue never seems to be a problem when senior management types get eye watering pay deals with bonuses awarded into the millions.

For over a decade the rates paid to agency driver never changed. Then in the prelude to pay parity a token 50p/hr here and there appeared. Then suddenly rates jumped to more realistic rates. Then due to parity I got 9.9% this year thanks to the company drivers that I work alongside

richiem1987:
. People should get a pay rise, but only 3 - 4 % as any higher will just end up costing even more.

I understand 6.6% is the current mean number for pay rises. But taking into consideration recent BoE and inflation changes the net value is equivalent to 0.2% in real terms

peterm:
Inflation is 5.1%. .

CPI is 9%
RPI is. 11.1%

Not sure where you get 5 from?

Not bothered , all these cost of living rises just mean saving a bit less , and to be honest all these kids need a reality check with there cars on pcp, 30 + mortgages , dubai holidays

stu675:

peterm:
Inflation is 5.1%. .

CPI is 9%
RPI is. 11.1%

Well it says next to his name Australia…

toonsy:

richiem1987:

Yes I agree to a point.

But the other half of me often wonders why this is only ever an argument to be had when it comes to pay rises for “lower” staff (ie not management) whilst the issue never seems to be a problem when senior management types get eye watering pay deals with bonuses awarded into the millions.

^^^^
This absolutely. We hear over and again that prices have to go up “to maintain our profit margins”. and that any wage increases will “only fuel inflation”. Err double standards operating here, but those who actually do the job should know that they are only pawns for others to exploit for their own profit.

toonsy:

stu675:

peterm:
Inflation is 5.1%. .

CPI is 9%
RPI is. 11.1%

Ok, thanks [emoji106]

toonsy:

richiem1987:

Yes I agree to a point.

As in the case of the 1970’s it’s all price led not wage led.Its a deliberately rigged method of reducing wages by stealth.Unless it’s met by equivalent wage increase demands
No one moans about shopkeepers or self employed increasing their prices so why the double standards regarding employed workers demanding commensurate increase in their wages.

While wages don’t form 100% of overheads.
So 10% on wages shouldn’t translate as 10% on prices.Price increases should therefore never exceed wage increases.

cav551:

toonsy:

richiem1987:

Yes I agree to a point.

^^^^
This absolutely. We hear over and again that prices have to go up “to maintain our profit margins”. and that any wage increases will “only fuel inflation”. Err double standards operating here, but those who actually do the job should know that they are only pawns for others to exploit for their own profit.

Yes yes yes!
It gets a bit tiresome when bosses tell us to tighten our belts whilst they are awarded obscenely large bonuses!

richiem1987:

But with inflation running at 9%+, a 3-4% pay rise is a substantial pay cut.

Harry Monk:

richiem1987:

But with inflation running at 9%+, a 3-4% pay rise is a substantial pay cut.

Which the employers and the bankers will call
avoiding a ‘wage price upward spiral’.
Conveniently air brushing out the fact that it’s price led with the win win that it also effectively allows these scammers to write down the value of investments and the resulting returns owed to investors and pensioners.

It’s actually commodity led, in the sense that the rapid increases in price are on things that people can’t realistically do without such as gas/electric for heating and cooking, fuel for vehicles predominantly so that people can get to work and still make a wage, and food which we all need.

I always make my point earlier that it only seems to be payrises for the little folk that cause inflation, never the millions in bonuses or share dividends that those at the top receive.

From government there seems to be a lack of any clarity about where the money is firstly coming in from and secondly where its going to. We know some of it (NI rise to pay for NHS and social care etc) but the rest is all sleight of hand. For instance what is the tax take from fuel NOW compared to what it was. The best we ever get is a “the government has introduced the biggest ever cut in fuel duty blah blah” which is true but if also doesn’t paint the full picture, nor does it account for all the additional income from the widespread withdrawal of rebated (red) fuel because I suspect there’s an awful lot of money being made there.

All in all it doesnt sit right with me that we have government ministers saying people shouldn’t be asking for bigger pat rises whilst they sit on a ministerial salary with ministerial expenses, nor does it sit right that the governor of the BOE is saying much the same given the pay he will no doubt be on. I note that all MPs have also had a payrise “but they can’t say no to that” apparently :unamused:

In answer the question posed by the OP do I expect a payrise linked to inflation? Probably not, but I’d expect a fair rise from a firm that made over £2bn profit last year and is still forecasting more for the current year. Whether that’s more percentage pay or mixed with a bonus plus extra discount or whatever I’d be open minded about.

Somewher very close to CPi.

toonsy:
In answer the question posed by the OP do I expect a payrise linked to inflation? Probably not,

^ That means you expect and are happy to accept a wage reduction by stealth.
Would you expect a shop keeper or self empoyed to take the same view ?.
If not why the double standards.

stu675:

peterm:
Inflation is 5.1%. .

CPI is 9%
RPI is. 11.1%

Have a look at where I live.

toonsy:

stu675:

peterm:
Inflation is 5.1%. .

CPI is 9%
RPI is. 11.1%

Thanks. I’d posted before reading your post.