Are you expecting a payrise linked to inflation?

Carryfast:

toonsy:
In answer the question posed by the OP do I expect a payrise linked to inflation? Probably not,

^ That means you expect and are happy to accept a wage reduction by stealth.
Would you expect a shop keeper or self empoyed to take the same view ?.
If not why the double standards.

No, if you quote the full reasoning and not just your selected bit you’ll see that I’d also accept other things, for example I get between 10-20% staff discount depending on items/time of month, that could be increased therefore lowering my cost of living therefore lowering the percentage I’d effectively need as I’d be more shielded from increased prices.

Extra holidays, discount to be allowed to be used on fuel, one off payments etc etc are all things that would assist with the cost of living along with a modest percentage rise as opposed to a double digit payrise.

Then again I’m fortunate in the sense that earn far more than I need, but I’m not so blinkered that I can’t see that a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble in the not so distant future.

The CWU are fighting Royal Mail for an inflation linked rise. I don’t think they’ll get it to be honest. They’ve offered us 2% with no strings and a further 3.5% if we agree to start later, work mandatory Sunday’s, lower pay for new starters and a few other things.

The union have kicked right off and everywhere I go I see notices on the wall talking about how they’ve just given their shareholders a £400m bonus which they didn’t even need to give. The 1 month dispute process is over any day now and the union are talking up industrial action.

toonsy:

Carryfast:

toonsy:
In answer the question posed by the OP do I expect a payrise linked to inflation? Probably not,

No, if you quote the full reasoning and not just your selected bit you’ll see that I’d also accept other things, for example I get between 10-20% staff discount depending on items/time of month, that could be increased therefore lowering my cost of living therefore lowering the percentage I’d effectively need as I’d be more shielded from increased prices.

Extra holidays, discount to be allowed to be used on fuel, one off payments etc etc are all things that would assist with the cost of living along with a modest percentage rise as opposed to a double digit payrise.

Then again I’m fortunate in the sense that earn far more than I need, but I’m not so blinkered that I can’t see that a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble in the not so distant future.

Translates as everyone should base ‘their’ wage demands on ‘your’ personal wage structure and perks.
While even at best 11% on your staff discount
etc isn’t going to match the equivalent of 11% on your wage per hour/month/annum.

Carryfast:

The picture for the truly self-employed is completely different. At the end of the day, you can only charge what the market will take, and much as my costs are rising, so are my clients’. Sure, I could insist on more, but then they’d simply use someone else.

Lucy:

Carryfast:

The picture for the truly self-employed is completely different. At the end of the day, you can only charge what the market will take, and much as my costs are rising, so are my clients’. Sure, I could insist on more, but then they’d simply use someone else.

The only way to test what ‘the market will take’ is to withdraw the product.So I tell the shopkeeper or fuel supplier or council tax I can’t pay wont pay the shopkeeper says fine then go somewhere else but you leave the shop empty handed the goods stay on the shelf or you go without the fuel or the council takes you to court for non payment.
That’s the definition of the withdrawal of labour if the employer refuses to pay.

Carryfast:
… The only way to test what ‘the market will take’ is to withdraw the product.

This has to be buffoonery of the highest order, you’ve outdone even yourself with this one. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pray tell… what is the self-employed person supposed to do to live (on planet Carryfast) once he/she has withdrawn their services? Is there some sort of handout on planet Carryfast that they could claim in those circumstances?

In the real world, a self-employed person who withdraws their services gets absolutely nothing, as well as quite probably losing the client.

I’ve been self-employed for a while now (2003 - present,) so how about letting us know how much experience of being self employed you have to base your laughable utterance upon?

Carryfast:

toonsy:

Carryfast:

toonsy:

Translates as everyone should base ‘their’ wage demands on ‘your’ personal wage structure and perks.
While even at best 11% on your staff discount
etc isn’t going to match the equivalent of 11% on your wage per hour/month/annum.

Well as the question was asking “are you expecting a payrise linked to inflation” I was answering from my perspective. I appreciate this is staying on topic which is fundamentally something you struggle with.

Nowhere did I say I was championing my expectations for all. Merely what I would expect, and that if that wasn’t possible in terms of a percentage increase then using other perks would be acceptable to me.

inflation is the same as a pay cut
inflation is the same as a wealth tax on your savings.