Are you a flasher?

Recently I’ve noticed fellow drivers don’t seem to flash you back in or say thank you when I flash them back in, as much these days.
Not a problem but I just wonder what’s changed. I wonder if it’s because we have a lot more foreign drivers from where it’s not customary or just one of those things that’s going out of ‘fashion’?

Anyway, I’m trying to stop doing it myself because of the lack of appreciation but old habits die hard.
I’ll always say thanks for a flash back in though [emoji1360]

I’m definitely a flasher. I’m always flashing lorries to change lanes, pull out, pull back in again. I regard myself as a courteous driver, frequently flashing all manner of vehicles in and out of side roads, also waving pedestrians across too. There’s nothing worse than being courteous and flashing someone out and then not even being acknowledged. You end up cursing and wishing you hadn’t let them out but by then it’s too late. If it wasn’t for us truckers letting other vehicles in and out the whole road network would grind to a halt!

I’m a flasher aswell. I have noticed the same that sometimes they just leave you out there, not real an issue most of the time but when it’s ■■■■■■■ down with rain at night and visibility isn’t the best it would be nice to be given a flash.

I’ve also noticed a few tossers recently that drive at 50-52, you go to overtake then they speed up and just leave you out there. I guess they find it funny to leave another truck stuck out in the road causing a nuisance

I don’t flash anyone in unless I know them.

Reason 1: you don’t get a chance most drivers these days are already moving back in when their backdoors are still level with your wing mirror.
Reason 2: you get no acknowledgment in return if you do flash someone in.

If someone flashes me in I will acknowledge it but I don’t expect it nor do my jimmies get rustled if they don’t.

harrawaffa:
I don’t flash anyone in unless I know them.

Reason 1: you don’t get a chance most drivers these days are already moving back in when their backdoors are still level with your wing mirror.
Reason 2: you get no acknowledgment in return if you do flash someone in.

If someone flashes me in I will acknowledge it but I don’t expect it nor do my jimmies get rustled if they don’t.

This.

Plus, most of the time I just plod along at 50. Not company policy, I do it to maximise my earnings as I’m hourly paid. Because of that, most people just fly past me and it gets a bit tedious flashing in 2-300 vehicles in a day. (much the same reason I suppose that crane drivers rarely flash anyone in).

Added benefit is at that speed you rarely get lingerers at the side of you for the next 10 miles as they discover their daf will go 0.001 mph faster than you on the limiter.

I rarely get the chance now, as said above by the time you’re ready to flash they’re back in with not even a car’s length passed so buggered if i can bothered to flash 15 seconds after they cut across :unamused: , if i do flash those who answer are rare indeed.

I always answer of someone does my the courtesy.

Anyone else still use the old double click of the lights as a reply? Does anyone left out there have a clue what i’m talking about :laughing:

Anyone else still use the old double click of the lights as a reply? Does anyone left out there have a clue what i’m talking about

Yes I used to use that method all the time. It annoyed me when some changed it to , left signal , right signal, left signal or worse hazards on for a few flashes.
The latter two can cause confusion on occasion.
I suppose though with some vehicles now its almost impossible to switch your lights on and off twice ■■?

Juddian:
I rarely get the chance now, as said above by the time you’re ready to flash they’re back in with not even a car’s length passed so buggered if i can bothered to flash 15 seconds after they cut across :unamused: , if i do flash those who answer are rare indeed.

Anyone else still use the old double click of the lights as a reply? Does anyone left out there have a clue what i’m talking about :laughing:

yes…i continue to flash…and yes,i do remember when we all used to flick our lights on off on off…or the other way about :smiley: …i think i might do that tomorrow for old times sake,as i celebrate 40 years of HGV -ing! :sunglasses:

Fizzifish:
I’m definitely a flasher. I’m always flashing lorries to change lanes, pull out, pull back in again. I regard myself as a courteous driver, frequently flashing all manner of vehicles in and out of side roads, also waving pedestrians across too. There’s nothing worse than being courteous and flashing someone out and then not even being acknowledged. You end up cursing and wishing you hadn’t let them out but by then it’s too late. If it wasn’t for us truckers letting other vehicles in and out the whole road network would grind to a halt!

Fizzfish, drivers like yourself always worry me. It’s nice to be courteous and all that but you need to be very careful flashing drivers out (or even worse, waving them out) because as I am sure you know if they go and have an accident then you are involved. Just be wary.

jakethesnake:
Anyone else still use the old double click of the lights as a reply? Does anyone left out there have a clue what i’m talking about

Yes I used to use that method all the time. It annoyed me when some changed it to , left signal , right signal, left signal or worse hazards on for a few flashes.
The latter two can cause confusion on occasion.
I suppose though with some vehicles now its almost impossible to switch your lights on and off twice ■■?

Me , I also use my cab light say hello (2 21watt bulbs the ERF type) :smiley:

jakethesnake:
Fizzfish, drivers like yourself always worry me. It’s nice to be courteous and all that but you need to be very careful flashing drivers out (or even worse, waving them out) because as I am sure you know if they go and have an accident then you are involved. Just be wary.

:unamused: Jake mate, seriously.
Are you fully aware of how condescending you come across on here sometimes
Have a day off man ffs. :unamused:

Depends who it is , you make a mental
Note of who does / doesn’t flash you
In or thanks you , so I don’t
Bother with there lorries full stop

Flashing, as others have said a lot of drivers now pull in before you’ve had time to flash.
Courtesy works both ways, like acknowledging when some one lets you out which most drivers can’t be bothered just putting a hand up to say thanks.
The times iv’e moved over by a slip road they come down 50mph, you move over, they join and all of a sudden they hit the noisy peddle and leave you out in lane two, why can’t they put their foot down to join and adjust their speed to the current traffic, or the BMw and Audi brigade, all coming down nose to tail then get upset that you didn’t press the vanish button and stayed where you are as you can’t mover over as the next lane as your’e being overtaken. I don’t bother now.

robroy:

jakethesnake:

:unamused: Jake mate, seriously.
Are you fully aware of how condescending you come across on here sometimes
Have a day off man ffs. :unamused:

I could say how you come across but I won’t. Can I ask if you understand why I said what I said and if you realise that other drivers have ended up in serious bother with being what they regard as being courteous.

The point of my post was trying to pass over some helpful info that may just help someone.
There are some that listen and take advice then there are others who think they know it all already.

I’m still a flasher and since our trucks are limited to 85, I get a lots of practice.
More drivers acknowledge you than don’t. Tippers less so.

Regarding foreign drivers, on a recent trip to Spain with motorhome/car/trailer combo I was surprised to find the majority of trucks acknowledged being flashed in and the few I passed mostly flashed me back in.
I think wot we’re educating them.

I always flash and always say thankyou with the indicaters. I think its a pleasant bit of mutual respect in the same way as holding a door open for someone or saying thankyou to someone for holding the door for me.

I always used to flash lorries overtaking me in, nowadays less so because quite simply of the number of drivers who don’t acknowledge or think that indicating in is acknowledgement enough. My theory on why a lot don’t thank you is that they are incapable of driving in a straight line whilst watching their nearside mirror and therefore miss your flash. I’m damned if I’m going to repeatedly flash on the off chance they just may be looking in their mirror at the right time.

There are certain companies and types of lorries I’ve given up flashing in; any 8 wheel tipper in Leicestershire, anyone pulling a ferry trailer on the M180, anyone pulling a Sawyers fridge trailer, anyone westbound on the 62 between Hull and Google!

I also when bored play a game wherein if a wagon I flash in doesn’t acknowledge I then don’t flash the next one in irrespective of Company so if you’ve ever overtaken me and not been flashed in and you are an aknowledger don’t blame me, blame the ignorant ■■■■ in front of you! :wink:

I’ll always say thanks, unless you drive like a helmet. Can’t remember the last time I was overtaken but I’ll always flash in, always give a wave if someone moves over to let me out too.

I’ve made it from Dover to Glasgow without being flashed in once, all the jealous beanos raging because a V8 passes them :laughing:

I keep a list of them, so before I flash them out I check to see if they are on the list

Juddian:

Hiya Juddian I still give 2 flicks of the side lights to say thanks after being flashed back in
I’m nearly 50 now and this is how my Dad taught me
I only drive a 12 tonner nowadays as I can earn just as much as I was earning driving class 1s but I still flash to be courteous and I still pride myself as a professional lorry driver