Are Night heater safe these days?

Hi All,
Just a quick question. I am thinking of doing my Lgv. But there is a one big thing that I am a bit paranoid about! :confused: And it’s not doing the test… or finding work. And hoping you lads/ lasses can put my mind to rest.

How safe are NIGHT HEATERS these days…?

The reason I am asking this is I lost my Dad in France back in the 90’s.
Because of a foult on his Night heater. He pass away in his sleep. And the cause of it was that is night heater put carbon-monoxide back into his cab . I was only 15 when he passed away. And for that reason It as put me off from doing my test.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK THANKS

Sorry to hear about your Dad Percy, I drive a MAN TGX & haven’t had any problems with the night heater, I leave a window open about an inch anyway & only put it on when I wake up, very rarely use it all night, but I’ve often heard other wagons parked next to me with their heaters running all night, they don’t seem to have any problems.

Thanks mate. miss him a lot. but life goes on eh… I suppose trucks have come a long way since then too

I never knew this could happen. I sometimes use my night heater in a 08 daf 7.5ton. I don’t leave the windows open because I’m paranoid of something being sprayed into the cab. Now I’m worrying about carbon monoxide. I think I’ll stick with the sleeping bag and extra blanket.

yeah it can mate. well i don’t know about now but it did happen to my dads Mercedes truck don’t know what the model or Year it was. as I was only a teenager.

Hey never heard o Desiel giving of Carbon Monxide in the 40. Years I have been on the road.

I don’t think it is possible. Must have been a gas cooker they give off Deadly C.M.
There was one lad. Carlisle trucks top 35 years ago came out of club ■■■■■■ and lit the wee camping Gaz stove for a heat never woke up

Deisel safe

You don’t need a job that does nights out just to get behind the driving wheel. Get a day job so you won’t need to use a night heater.
Also you can buy battery powered carbon monoxide detectors like you do smoke alarms.

Sorry about your Dad mate. There are alarms that will detect carbon monoxide.

There are an awful lot of night heaters fitted and running even in an English May :slight_smile:. They are a reliable and safe bit of kit, that said I use quilt or in the winter quilts to keep me warm when I sleep.
Use the night heater during the evening and set to come on half hour before getting up.

Hi …Thanks lads when my dad passed away. I do know he didn’t have a camping stove but he did have a small fridge in the cab. and he was out on a run with 2 other drivers. an they went for something to eat an a few beers. An when morning come the knock’t on his cab an there was no answer and the 2 drivers broke into his truck. and my dad didn’t wake up. But i was told that after tests on his fridge and truck that it was a fault on his Night heater and it was carbon-monoxide poisoning. from his Night heater.

Thing Is I don’t really want to do just day work i want to do the nights out. but I suppose if I’m so worried about the Night heater thing it to just not use it when I’m asleep… Im still a long way off passing my test yet but. think i will just have to Grit teeth. and get on with it if i want to do the Job… it means a lot to me lads… truly your comments do mean a lot…

About twenty years ago a French driver was asleep in Vivonne truckstop, his night heater had a fault in it, it caught fire at about 3 am, the fire station is about a mile away, they got there in two minutes but it was too late, he died, drivers tried in vain to rescue him.
I always sleep with the Windows down a bit and open the sunroof a few inches.

toby1234abc:
About twenty years ago a French driver was asleep in Vivonne truckstop, his night heater had a fault in it, it caught fire at about 3 am, the fire station is about a mile away, they got there in two minutes but it was too late, he died, drivers tried in vain to rescue him.
I always sleep with the Windows down a bit and open the sunroof a few inches.

That must of been horrifying and very disturbing for the drivers. that was there at the time. poor man. at leat my dad past away peacefully. yeah it makes sence to keep well ventilated.

m1cks:
Also you can buy battery powered carbon monoxide detectors like you do smoke alarms.

This ^^. We have one in the wobbler box and our hallway at home.

I think you’ll be fine mate. Things have come on a long way since those days. I remember the contraptions fitted in some of my dads old trucks in the early 90s and while they all turned out to be safe, they left a lot to be desired and would usually be second hand and have bodge job after bodge job to keep them working. Since I started driving myself in 2005 I’ve never heard of anyone having the slightest issue with a night heater and just about all of us use them these days, especially in the UK and Europe.

robinhood_1984:
I think you’ll be fine mate. Things have come on a long way since those days. I remember the contraptions fitted in some of my dads old trucks in the early 90s and while they all turned out to be safe, they left a lot to be desired and would usually be second hand and have bodge job after bodge job to keep them working. Since I started driving myself in 2005 I’ve never heard of anyone having the slightest issue with a night heater and just about all of us use them these days, especially in the UK and Europe.

Thanks “robinhood_1984” that’s really helpful. I think it will always be in the back of my head…what happened. But once i crack on with my test And i have been out a few times I will be okay an start to use it like everyone els. from what i can remember it was a pretty new truck about. 3-4 years old. I wish i could find the lads that was out with my dad on that trip. and they could tell me more of what happened. I did think about trying to speak to the company my dad work’t for but don’t think they are trading anymore. and i don’t know the names of the lads that was out with him.

The mercedes in my work have carbon monoxide detectors in them/

scottishtrucker:

Are the detectors a standard feature on the Mercedes trucks Mate ?

scottishtrucker:

My Merc Actros Megaspace has a smoke detector fitted as standard, not a carbon monoxide detector. So did the previous one and the one before.
So Merc’ have been fitting smoke detectors as standard for over 8 years in Megaspace cabs. I dunno about other wagons, but I’d expect them to be fitted in all their sleeper cabs.
I’m pretty sure they started fitting them soon after a driver was killed by smoke inhalation, when someone set fire to a stack of pallets next to his cab.

I drive the new MP4 Merc had it coming up to 3 years now always crack the sunroof open a bit had no problems.
Been in the game now for ni on 40 years now and still alive.
Technology has come a long way now go for it.

beetee07:
I drive the new MP4 Merc had it coming up to 3 years now always crack the sunroof open a bit had no problems.
Been in the game now for ni on 40 years now and still alive.
Technology has come a long way now go for it.

Nice one mate yeah your right. Thats something my Dad would of said… followed by cracked round the heard for being soft ■■■ haha. and worry about it when it happens :smiley:

A fireman told me you drown in a fire, as when you inhale fire, the top of the airways close down automatically, a prevention measure by mother nature, designed to protect , but kills you as you can’t breathe.
RIP TIm Frew ,killed at home from a discarded ■■■, after a night out, he opened a door, and the back draft got him,he owned a fleet of tippers on Somerset quarry work.