Applying for a job query!

Hey guysss! Well I’ve been applying for jobs, have been for a week or so and I’ve heard absolutely nothing back. I don’t know whether this is normal or what? None of them have cut off dates for applicants so I don’t really know. How long have people waited to get an interview after they have applied etc?!

Simbro1988:
Hey guysss! Well I’ve been applying for jobs, have been for a week or so and I’ve heard absolutely nothing back. I don’t know whether this is normal or what? None of them have cut off dates for applicants so I don’t really know. How long have people waited to get an interview after they have applied etc?!

The best key in this industry is mates, I’d say at least 90% of my jobs are through people I know, how long have you had a licence??

Well I passed my class 2 in end of November. But only just finished my cpc modules. So I’m guessing it’s down to me being a newbie. But do not want agency work as me and the partner trying to get a mortgage.

Where are you based ?

Have faith, apply for everything and anything… You have to be prepared to take the crap jobs to progress your career, luckily I got taken on with the leading tool hire firm when I passed class 2 within a month.

Best of luck

Simbro1988:

How are you applying? Are you just applying via the jobs website and forwarding on your CV?
If so, you won’t get much back as you are not demonstrating that you are “keen as mustard!” :wink:
Do as above but follow it up with a call shortly afterwards…

Best of luck! :smiley:

ruddio:
Where are you based ?

Northampton mate

yt03:
Have faith, apply for everything and anything… You have to be prepared to take the crap jobs to progress your career, luckily I got taken on with the leading tool hire firm when I passed class 2 within a month.

Best of luck

Thank you! Yea I don’t mind the crappy manual hand balling jobs as I’m used to hard labour anyways!

Evil8Beezle:

Simbro1988:

How are you applying? Are you just applying via the jobs website and forwarding on your CV?
If so, you won’t get much back as you are not demonstrating that you are “keen as mustard!” :wink:

Well I have applied via indeed app and also sent them emails afterwards. Suppose it couldn’t hurt giving them a ring as well. Just don’t want to annoy them lol

If I was you, I WOULD consider agency work, and hang fire for 6 months on the mortgage front.

You could be sent to two or three client’s in one week. That is potentially three different TM’s to make an impression with, and plenty other drivers to glean info from.

Irons in the fire and all that.

Simbro1988:

Evil8Beezle:

Simbro1988:

Well I have applied via indeed app and also sent them emails afterwards. Suppose it couldn’t hurt giving them a ring as well. Just don’t want to annoy them lol

Employment agencies are the scum of the earth, and you will soon learn this…
So if you have the opportunity to feel you are annoying them, grasp it with both hands! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you have a Brakes or Palmer and Harvey anywhere near you go in and see them, They take on newbies and pay well But be warned it is hard graft but a good start mate.

With regards to getting a mortgage most will want at least six months payslips now.

Also go round all local Haulage firms.

Good Luck

Simbro1988:

yt03:

Best of luck

Thank you! Yea I don’t mind the crappy manual hand balling jobs as I’m used to hard labour anyways!

People keep going on about a driver shortage, if you ask me it’s a load of ■■■■… I struggled finding work with 7 years experience so it will be tough, keep your head up high you will soon be cruising down the motorway, making a coffee, ■■■ in your hand wondering what on earth you’ve done :wink:

Also in the same position as you mate, got my class 1 back in November and can now leave my current work in search of a driving job! I have walked in/phoned/emailed and applied to every company in Norfolk in the last week haha! So fingers crossed I hear something. Bad time of year for getting employment at the moment I’ve been told! Also anyone in the Norfolk area want to take on a newbie…hit me up [emoji14]

raxore:
Also in the same position as you mate, got my class 1 back in November and can now leave my current work in search of a driving job! I have walked in/phoned/emailed and applied to every company in Norfolk in the last week haha! So fingers crossed I hear something. Bad time of year for getting employment at the moment I’ve been told! Also anyone in the Norfolk area want to take on a newbie…hit me up [emoji14]

Try Neil Bombfords at Harleston, they put my cousin through all his licences years ago??

Bidvest in Bicester are recruiting
Dominos are looking for class 2, parmer harvey in Hemel take new drivers amd i saw a,job ad last week
Wh barley in Wolverton was recruiting at the mk job fair last week, if you haven’t tried them,maybe worth a shot
As some one mentioned before, mates in the industry carrys alot of weight also.and its quiet time of year unfortunately. But keep plugging away

I could put a word in at Barleys for you, if you PM me with your details & phone number (I’ll give you a call) then if you get a start & stay a while I get a Bounty (wouldn’t hold my breath waiting though [emoji57])

It’s not the best job you’ll ever have, Palletline Multi Drops, but at least it’s a potential start.

Start time usually 06.30-07.00 & finish when you finish (usually around 18.00) guaranteed 50 hours a week & they make you do it [emoji57]

Try putting all your kit in the boot of your car and going to companies very early in the morning especially mondays as that is when they are likely to need a driver - if they do not need one then give your CV to the TM personally

Yes, it’s very common for them to take a while to reply. I’ve had some reply to online applications or e-mailed CVs within hours, some within days, some weeks, and a lot, not at all!

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is make a list of firms in your area with vacancies, and make up envelopes with a specific cover letter, CV and application form, if necessary. Then on your day-off, drop them off to the transport manager in person. They’ll see that you’re keen, motivated, and you can actually converse with the person who might give you a job. It looks a lot better than just firing-off a CV by e-mail!

It’s ballsier than to just fire and forget an e-mail, and it definitely has a higher success rate, in my opinion. E-mailing can work, bear in mind, I’ve known it work.

Agencies will lie or exaggerate what jobs they’ve got on their books, just to get you to sign-up. They’ll advertise for CE day drivers, no nights out, straight trunking, 15-plate trucks, £12 per hour, so every man and his dog gives them a call, and they persuade you that the only way of getting this job is to register with them. Once they’ve got you signed-up, they off-load the rubbish. Cat C multi-drop work, loads of hand-balling, 20 drops a day, £7 per hour. They’re swines!

Simbro1988:

Some you wont hear back from ever. Some pretty quick with a no thanks and some within a week or so if they want you in for an interview in my experience

The ones you hear back from really quick and offer you a start almost immediately are usually garbage. Fell into that trap before