Apparantly, you can polish a turd!

Being that I’m a Universal Soldier adaptable to any situation (and former fitter) for the last 6 weeks apart from the odd local job I have been in the workshop at work while our full time fitter has been off due to an operation. Any hoo, I was given the task last week to tidy up, service and get a test on this…

it is a spare motor the casual drivers use and we use it for trailer MOT’s and shunting, but they want it back on the road full time.

After a week of spanner magic, cleaning, new signs and some paint on the wheels (all done by my good self) I got a test on it today and she goes into full commision on monday. I’m quite pleased with the outcome and think she looks good for a 800,000km motor.

Ain’t I a special boy !

:grimacing:

Nice one,what paint did you use on the wheels? one of the driving wheels on my drawbar has an annoying patch of rust (annoying because the rest of the wheels are pretty clean) and would like to clean it up without it looking different from the other wheels :slight_smile:

It was just a generic bright silver the local paint shop sent as we have a proper spray gun for minor paintwork and I wasn’t bothered about the match as I painted all the wheels. If you wanted a decent finish having a go yourself I’d use a silver hammerite aerosol as u will get a semi gloss finish similar to the original paint. I’ve used this to tart up the odd trailer wheel and it goes on quite thick and builds up well. The layer of paint on Scania wheels is pretty poor from the factory and they deteriorate quickly if neglected. My 57 plate has a few rust spots appearing on the welds on the drive wheels and I clean them with a bucket and sponge at least twice a month or every other wash.

Great job, you should be proud. Don’t neglected wheels look minging.

looks very good, i would love to swap that topliner for my daf.

Looks well mate, good job well done

in fact just to add my lorry has gone back to being a scruffy old heap, ive give up on the polishing. im fed up of going in and out of the steelworks getting it covered in crap just to clean it off then next day… back to the steelworks.

Thanks all. I don’t actually know who’s gonna be driving it yet, so it’s anyone guess how long it will stay looking like that. But, I’ve done my bit anyway !.

Dids:
It was just a generic bright silver the local paint shop sent as we have a proper spray gun for minor paintwork and I wasn’t bothered about the match as I painted all the wheels.

Nice to see you’ve painted only the wheels :sunglasses: , looks more of a smart original factory finish than when the hub gets painted silver as well.

Hell yeah. I took the wheels off and broke the outer bead on the tyre before paint. We’ve got a 53 plate where the fella that had it took and aerosol to it one afternoon and did all the wheels inc. hubs, nutcaps and some of the sidewall on the tyre and with what was left he painted the rear spray suppressers silver too !. It looks delicious. I’ve got to try to sort that out on monday if it is knocking about the yard.

Dids:
It was just a generic bright silver the local paint shop sent as we have a proper spray gun for minor paintwork and I wasn’t bothered about the match as I painted all the wheels. If you wanted a decent finish having a go yourself I’d use a silver hammerite aerosol as u will get a semi gloss finish similar to the original paint. I’ve used this to tart up the odd trailer wheel and it goes on quite thick and builds up well. The layer of paint on Scania wheels is pretty poor from the factory and they deteriorate quickly if neglected. My 57 plate has a few rust spots appearing on the welds on the drive wheels and I clean them with a bucket and sponge at least twice a month or every other wash.

Ah thanks for that, will give that a go, i can only think that the wheels been swapped at some point because the rest are quite clean.

I like to keep my truck tidy, kept my old W reg drawbar spotless and now someone else is using it its all dirty, dented + scratched :frowning:

No probs. That is probaly the case. We keep wheels built up in our yard so all we have to do is change the whole lot, so some of the older motors may end up with a rear drive wheel that may have been fitted to the inside for years fitted to the outside and you can imagine what they look like !.

Dids:
No probs. That is probaly the case. We keep wheels built up in our yard so all we have to do is change the whole lot, so some of the older motors may end up with a rear drive wheel that may have been fitted to the inside for years fitted to the outside and you can imagine what they look like !.

When I got my 1st class 1 it was for a family firm ad now ad again I’d be in the yard so I’d get an old wheel out wash it off give it a lite rubbing down then hand paint it, 2 coats later they look smart. used to try and keep the good ones for the outside of the unit or trailer. as time went on they all looked pretty smart. also carried a small pot of paint to touch up the odd bits to keep the unit looking :blush: clean

nice one dids,nice to see a motor being brought back from the brink!top job fella! :smiley: :smiley:

im thinking that maybe as you have done such a good job that maybe as its quiet you could be quite busy with the other lorries in your fleet these coming weeks. :laughing: :wink:

That was mentioned on friday. I don’t mind doing them as long as people look after them.

What is the world coming to if that’s a ‘turd’ ? I know times have moved on a bit, but it’s only 7yrs old & was a very high spec motor when new, I would have no problem loading my gear into it & setting off for somewhere warm & sunny, rusty wheels or not :sunglasses:

newmercman:
What is the world coming to if that’s a ‘turd’ ? I know times have moved on a bit, but it’s only 7yrs old & was a very high spec motor when new, I would have no problem loading my gear into it & setting off for somewhere warm & sunny, rusty wheels or not :sunglasses:

I wish I’d have known this a week ago, then I wouldn’t have wasted a week cleaning it form top to bottom and inside and out. How foolish do I feel !. Oh, hang on. I don’t feel foolish al all !. If you pop back to the top of the page, you’ll see nothing to question the spec,it still is a hi spec truck. It looked awful and now looks nice !. What’s the problem ?.

Dids:

newmercman:

I wish I’d have known this a week ago, then I wouldn’t have wasted a week cleaning it form top to bottom and inside and out. How foolish do I feel !. Oh, hang on. I don’t feel foolish al all !. If you pop back to the top of the page, you’ll see nothing to question the spec,it still is a hi spec truck. It looked awful and now looks nice !. What’s the problem ?.

Fair play to you, it does look like a tidy motor, my point was that it was used as a shunter in the first place.