Apparantly, you can polish a turd!

newmercman:

Dids:

newmercman:
What is the world coming to if that’s a ‘turd’ ? I know times have moved on a bit, but it’s only 7yrs old & was a very high spec motor when new, I would have no problem loading my gear into it & setting off for somewhere warm & sunny, rusty wheels or not :sunglasses:

I wish I’d have known this a week ago, then I wouldn’t have wasted a week cleaning it form top to bottom and inside and out. How foolish do I feel !. Oh, hang on. I don’t feel foolish al all !. If you pop back to the top of the page, you’ll see nothing to question the spec,it still is a hi spec truck. It looked awful and now looks nice !. What’s the problem ?.

Fair play to you, it does look like a tidy motor, my point was that it was used as a shunter in the first place.

Apologies. I thought you mean’t I was writing it off as a piece of crap. Now I really do feel foolish !. Anyhoo, it hasn’t had a full time driver for about 6 months and I don’t think anyone could be bothered to wash a motor they may never drive again for a fortnight. Hence the state it was left in and the signs were removed to sell it then work picked up and it stayed on the fleet. I had been running around in it for the week in between working on it and grew quite fond of it. I just hope the next driver does too !

Dids, no offence taken, I just think that the way we look at lorries today has changed dramatically, we’ve quite rightly had it very good in recent years, most fleets now run a SuperMegaTopTrotterXXL of some description, the older ones are now starting to come off of front line duties & jobs that, a few years ago, would have used a pretty basic unit will now have something like that ‘old’ Scania you tarted up. Just look at Scaffolding motors (not all of them) quite a few have an FM12 or CF Daf with at least 380hp pulling a little single axle trailer around, up until recently it would’ve been a Ford Cargo or similar. How times have changed :open_mouth:

Nice work mate, looks as good as a new one.
Just a shame when i saw it, it was broken down blocking one of the exit lanes on trinty :laughing: :laughing:

Slim79:
Just a shame when i saw it, it was broken down blocking one of the exit lanes on trinty :laughing: :laughing:

It still looked good though !

Dids:

Slim79:

It still looked good though !

Yeah still looked good, the old office guy (can`t remember his name) was doing a shunt :laughing:
You worked there long? i worked for him a few years ago, mind i was only there 3 months.

That would be Ed from the office. I’ve been with them for 2 years.

Always found the word/name Horley quite amusing. Never been in the place but what always comes to mind and makes me wonder is that
‘Horley’ is an old Scots word for unkemp or dirty as in “she’s a horley wee thing…” :laughing:

Since the origin of the name Horley has been raised, I have wondered about this for a while on my visits to Ipswich. I know that when you’re entering town via the A12 Copdock junction, when Chantry Park is on your left there’s a church on the right hand side called ‘Horley Methodist Church’ or something. But you guys are based over the river from there, on Sandy Lane, aren’t you?

Paulson:
Since the origin of the name Horley has been raised, I have wondered about this for a while on my visits to Ipswich. I know that when you’re entering town via the A12 Copdock junction, when Chantry Park is on your left there’s a church on the right hand side called ‘Horley Methodist Church’ or something. But you guys are based over the river from there, on Sandy Lane, aren’t you?

We are based on Sandy Hill Lane, but many years ago they used to run out of the owners home that had a bit of land near it which was near the church in Horley. Hence the name.

Paulson:

That’ll be the Horley Spiritualist Church on the brow of the hill !

MMTM the name comes from a previous business selling second hand cars, years ago… :confused:

Not too bad.

But in my opinion the only thing that can improve a Scania would be fire :wink: