Apologies.... M6(S) Friday

Sorry to anyone stuck in the 5 min road closure on the M6(s) on Friday around lunch time, just south of junction 15.

My caravan tyre blew out, left half the tyre and some of my caravan tread in the carriageway, had to have a rolling road block and a short closure for your safety.

Now, before I get all the crap about ‘Bloody caravans’, and got enough V’s and coffee invites, it’s always nice to know that the cause of the blow out of a brand spanking new Michelin was a frickin’ ratchet strap hook :imp:

Wonder who was responsible for that??

Oh, and the Highways Agency (wombles) were ■■■■■■’ crap, I phoned up, explained what had happened…
“do you have a spare and tools?” asked the nice lady over the SOS phone, “Yes, got all that, it’s the outside tyre” I replied.
“If I get someone to cover you, would you be able to change it?” she asked “Of course I would, that’d be perfect” I replied.
“Ok, I’ll get someone down to clear up any debris then provide cover whilst you change it” she said “Brill, thanks for that”…

So, 10 mins or so later, rolling road block, highways at front, then quick stop whilst they grabbed the large part of the tyre carcass, nice 1 I thought, then they buggered off.
Thought, they must have another emergency… Hour later, I shifted the rest of the tyre and the wheel trim myself and phoned the RAC out to do the 5 min job of changing a tyre.

So, to you Highways peeps, who I know that some of you frequent this site, thanks for nothing ya daft gits :imp:
Half a job, waste of money, left me, my missus, a stranded caravan and a car at the side of the motorway for over 2hrs :open_mouth:

If you had the tools and the spare why did you need to call the rac to do a five min job ?

Moose:
If you had the tools and the spare why did you need to cal the rac to do a five min job ?

Because it was the offside tyre on the hard shoulder, and I’ve met enough truck drivers to know better :open_mouth:

It’s like a national sport for some - including some on here - to see how far they can shake a caravan, whether it be at the side of a motorway or on the road.

Not to mention those with god knows what in the windscreen that might not see me, those cooking their dinner or making a brew, those watching tv or on the phone.

Then there’s those that don’t drive trucks, a car hurts too ya know.

Sod that, I’ll hide behind a barrier until the flashy lights arrive

Did you try phoning again on the sos phone? possibly the message never got through to the patrol

AHT:
Did you try phoning again on the sos phone? possibly the message never got through to the patrol

Nope, after an hour and half waiting, and 2 TO’s driving past, 1 that picked up the main bit of carcass, and a second who looked at us like we’d stopped for a brew, I phoned the RAC as that’s what I pay for, was just trying to get on my way quickly and try and prevent anyone else getting hurt or stuck by my debris.

crazyman

i would have thought sitting on the hard shoulder for over 2 hrs is more of a concern than getting the n/s wheel onto the grass to give yourself a bit more room to work on the o/s tyre
i know its not a nice job but thats how i have done it in the past

I would have just rung up the HA again after they didnt stop after the rolling road block, give it a few mins then ring, sometimes people do make mistakes or forget things

your also the daft git for waiting an hour thinking they would come back :smiley:

Moose:
i would have thought sitting on the hard shoulder for over 2 hrs is more of a concern than getting the n/s wheel onto the grass to give yourself a bit more room to work on the o/s tyre
i know its not a nice job but thats how i have done it in the past

I put the nearside wheel onto the stones (stones at that point, rather than grass) which was a bit of a struggle to be honest, car was spitting the stones at the caravan lol.

But, still didn’t feel it was safe enough to be out there, was right on the edge of a steep ish drop that would’ve got me stranded, and still only a foot from the rumble strip, seriously, not going to do that to save a bit of time.

AHT:
I would have just rung up the HA again after they didnt stop after the rolling road block, give it a few mins then ring, sometimes people do make mistakes or forget things

I thought, maybe the 1st TO was to pick the debris up and they’d sent a ‘buffer’ truck - not sure what they’re called - to cover, so that’s why I waited so long before phoning the RAC.

Stop moaning you should have half pulled onto the grass verge and got on with it.payback for holding us up springs to mind

Bud143:
Stop moaning you should have half pulled onto the grass verge and got on with it.payback for holding us up springs to mind

So some/another halfwit trucker unneccesarily loses his strap again :unamused: & you blame caravan boy :grimacing:

AHT:

• 1 :bulb:
    Should have gave it 15 mins tops and got straight back on the SOS phone dude – :sunglasses:
    I hope you fed that back as a “Customer Satisfaction Comment” via the appropriate channels :wink:

Fat chance of getting a “buffer truck” as you call it I hear — (… IPV - Impact vehicle ), Plenty of their staff have been laid off and the remainder re-deployed doing something somewhere whatever wherever :unamused: … apparently according to sources , theyre struggling to get naff all now when they want it.
New MAC`s management restructure it seems :unamused:

Nope, after an hour and half waiting, and 2 TO’s driving past,

Things have changed mate , you clearly did not have an impact on the countries economy to warrant high priority it seems :unamused:

Wayned,
You did wrong by posting your story on here in the first place where most are all holier than thou steering wheel attendants who thinks the world revolves around them. To have the audacity to have a blow out caused by some idiots inability to secure a rachet strap is inexcusable, you really should know better. But it goes beyond the pale to think that you inconvenienced some poor trolley dolly for a few minutes, now that really signs the death nell of the real proper British truck driver for eternity.

Should have gone to ray-deo rentals :laughing: :laughing:

Wayne
No need to apologise, anyone can have a blow out.
I must have passed you, and as always - when I see someone on hard shoulder - pull out to avoid “problems”.
It seems you are still alive so must have survived the incident.
We are all road users so should treat every other user with respect, whatever they drive/pull. I will now don my hard hat and dive for cover…

I wouldn’t attempt to change an offside wheel either ( unless I was well off the road ). I’ve seen some driving standards and frankly it scares me stupid when I see someone trying to do something so close to the m/way.

Waynedl, that level of service is unacceptable and you should raise a complaint. You did all the right things just to be let down. If this was my area, I would not be happy, especially if NO crew stopped with you. It is possible that the rolling block crew had another immediate incident to go to, but for a patrol to drive past and not stop is not good enough. If you prefer, PM me on here and I will ask a mate in that area to look into it.

extrucker:
Waynedl, that level of service is unacceptable and you should raise a complaint. You did all the right things just to be let down. If this was my area, I would not be happy, especially if NO crew stopped with you. It is possible that the rolling block crew had another immediate incident to go to, but for a patrol to drive past and not stop is not good enough. If you prefer, PM me on here and I will ask a mate in that area to look into it.

Errm, if patrols 'know about it & recovery is arranged, I.e Rac, there is no need for them too stop, remember the H/S is ‘a place of safety’ :unamused: :laughing:, just people keep driving all over it :frowning:.

Op just had to pick up phone again & ask for someone to watch his back if anyone available as sometimes things get overlooked, even though they shouldn’t. Highway code rule 75 don’t attempt simple repairs, get your 'recovery agent’out, remember the vocal lobby group who insisted the hato’s under TMA2004, do not do recovery only cway clearance,

Anyway

0300 123 5000 is the Highways Agency Information Line give them a ring with the time you made the call and a brief description and if you know the ERT number that may be useful and complain. Someone has made a mistake or worse didn’t care you should get an answer.