Anyone still use CBS?

I remember driving through Birmingham and all I heard was “scab in a cab”,blanket,I wonder who he was.

The French Gendarmerie can understand English and had a field day in fine money when they tuned in to UK drivers bragging how long they had been on the wire or on the fuse to defraud their paper disc tacho’s , to record driving time as rest .
I used to get my CB’s from that miserable bearded sod at Avonmouth truck stop but they broke down a lot but one day in Lisbon I could hear American truckers talking about their day , apparently the signal got across the Atlantic Ocean.
Apart from that, it was all rubbish chat and too clicky for me so I got rid of my CB’s , but very handy for drivers strikes in Europe and advise on which roads were open and if the weigh bridge was open for the red hats in the Basque .

Sploom:
I remember driving through Birmingham and all I heard was “scab in a cab”,blanket,I wonder who he was.

Thats a blast from the past. Remember him well. Always talking ■■■■.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sometimes the wagons I drive have them fitted by the owner but I seldom use it unless running with some one but I don’t think I’d pay for one myself now. The high cabs today and 4m height restrictions in Euroland hamper a decent aerial set-up too.

With the ability to use audio books, podcasts, world wide radio stations and any amount of music via a telephone there was never as much entertainment available without even mentioning phoning someone.

Pre smart phones and internet though I was dam glad to catch up briefly with someone you saw on the other side of the autoroute or whatever as you were glad of a bit of company for a while and there was no google maps or satnav to help you out.

I drove in the US for a bit in late 80’s and they were a vital tool of the trade for all the usual stuff at that time, perhaps still are today. Lots of gibberish there too when close to the cities but easy to listen to out on the long road.

However at night time in the US the CB was comedy gold. When you hear a few drivers discussing something at length in great detail oblivious to the others listening in, such as divorces, politics, religion, prison time and so on the nights just melted away on many occasions. I loved it.

I would suggest an app called Zello which I have seen in use and looks good. It a walkie talkie app for the phone. I have it but no one I know has it so I can’t give any first hand experience.

The yam yam Gob is still on in brum.

I haven’t heard leicester control for a while.

Then there was that gobby Muppet around Doncaster, Talking to his other drunk mate in sheffield.

They use to get upset when we went thro, running 500w, Echo chambers, I the abuse was funny,

Keep thinking of putting the setup in the Volvo, buy don’t think it’s worth it now days.

biggriffin:
The yam yam Gob is still on in brum.

I haven’t heard leicester control for a while.

Then there was that gobby Muppet around Doncaster, Talking to his other drunk mate in sheffield.

They use to get upset when we went thro, running 500w, Echo chambers, I the abuse was funny,

Keep thinking of putting the setup in the Volvo, buy don’t think it’s worth it now days.

That ZB Leicester control who the ZB was he ,I was towing my m8 passed Leicester Forrest east one day in 98 and he came on the cb telling us we were illegal and to pull over and await police assistance,like ZB foot down and off !

Yes,I remember the leicester control guy,he used to come on dead on 6 am every morning, if I remember right,he would then run through the traffic bulletin!
As for the Birmingham one,he had that rhyme, scab in a cab,scab in a cab riding through the glen,…
Cant remember 6rest

we still use em for communicating with ■■■■■■ vehicles, quite handy if you’re running empty up the road with another driver ahead to kill the boredom. Often hear heavy haulage/boat transport guys (obv using for same reason as us) on there, along with the ones who have an ■■■■■■ for a load projecting about 6in off the bed of the lorry :laughing: tippers still seem to use them a lot, agri contractors now too. Always hear a lot around Bridgwater on M5 which is most likely the guys on new nuclear plant site at Hinckley Point.

I guess cb is one reason why i now have a full ham licence.

Haven’t touched a cb for nearly 18 years.

Ken. aka G8FSO.

Quinny:
I guess cb is one reason why i now have a full ham licence.

Haven’t touched a cb for nearly 18 years.

Ken. aka G8FSO.

Surprising how busy GB3YW in West Yorkshire is with lorry drivers at 5-7am in a morning. It’s got quite a good reach up and down the A1 and over to Hull. It’s also surprised me just how many lorry drivers have ham licences, not just in the UK but abroad too. I was in France a few years ago going down the N154 between Rouen and Chartres, overtook a bulk tipper in my car and next minute there’s a French lorry driver who’d recognised the antenna on my car roof calling to see if I’d got my radio on. Had a good chat with him for quite a way until he got to the farm he was going to.

Ham licence courses and exams can now be done online, the VHF and UHF band has nothing like the interference that CB does and you get better range. Antennas are much shorter, 50cm/2ft long, and you have repeaters you can talk through that cover a wide area. A few rules to abide by such as having to give out your callsign once every 15 minutes in conversations but nothing that bad.

I remember Champagne Lady in the Royston area. She was great

CBs are flat out on the A75 just like us drivers!!! :grimacing:

Big Truck:

Flat out! Unlike Agro,Morgan’s and them ■■■■■■ car transporters, 38mph pain in the arses! You’ll be on AM, we (log hauliers) are all on FM. Essential tool on our job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOG47:

Big Truck:

Flat out! Unlike Agro,Morgan’s and them [zb] car transporters, 38mph pain in the arses! You’ll be on AM, we (log hauliers) are all on FM. Essential tool on our job

Never see a Morgans/Agro 2400/0600 doing 40mph
Carrs-Billington/Curries/milk tankers far worse!!! :grimacing:

Big Truck:

GOG47:

Big Truck:

Flat out! Unlike Agro,Morgan’s and them [zb] car transporters, 38mph pain in the arses! You’ll be on AM, we (log hauliers) are all on FM. Essential tool on our job

Never see a Morgans/Agro 2400/0600 doing 40mph
Carrs-Billington/Curries/milk tankers far worse!!! :grimacing:

Aye, your right about Carrs Billington, proper pain and will NEVER pull over, no matter how big a queue. Followed one from the teapot to Dumfries by-pass one day and the log-jam behind was insane[emoji853]

If I am in a 30 zone,I dont pull over because someone behind wants to break the law,so why should I pull over on the a75,by pulling over ,I’m using up valuable time,I’m already disadvantaged because Im sticking to the speed limits.
If you are on the limiter all the time on the a75 you have an u fair advantage,I wish they would put cameras on the whole length of that road,not because I like to see other drivers prosecuted,but because,I shouldnt be economically disadvantaged for simply following the highway code.
I’ve had trucks tailgating me,bullying behaviour when I’m doing 60 in my car!I thought trucks were supposed to be limited to 56.You might find it funny,but the road isn’t owned by trucks,I pay my taxes and I am entitled to drive without being hassled

Sploom:
If I am in a 30 zone,I dont pull over because someone behind wants to break the law,so why should I pull over on the a75,by pulling over ,I’m using up valuable time,I’m already disadvantaged because Im sticking to the speed limits.
If you are on the limiter all the time on the a75 you have an u fair advantage,I wish they would put cameras on the whole length of that road,not because I like to see other drivers prosecuted,but because,I shouldnt be economically disadvantaged for simply following the highway code.
I’ve had trucks tailgating me,bullying behaviour when I’m doing 60 in my car!I thought trucks were supposed to be limited to 56.You might find it funny,but the road isn’t owned by trucks,I pay my taxes and I am entitled to drive without being hassled

jobsworth

Sploom:

I bet your fun at parties[emoji849]

No,I’m notmuch fun at parties,but if you knew me ,you probably would think I’m not too bad,I help anyone out if I can,I’m not judgemental if someone is in trouble.I just like to stick to the speed limits

Sploom:
No,I’m notmuch fun at parties,but if you knew me ,you probably would think I’m not too bad,I help anyone out if I can,I’m not judgemental if someone is in trouble.I just like to stick to the speed limits

Cool story, now help me out by pulling into a lay-by, I like to get on, my teas usually on the table around half 5 ish