Anyone operate shorter trailers?

than this one I saw the other day…it looks even shorter than the urban trolleys dollys■■?

Are these classed as urban-urban trailers??

Its more for convenience…the dutch also run very small trailers, as do some of our own supermarkets, its mainly for very tight spaces…although the one in the picture is ideal to drop it whilst its being loaded, and pick it up when it is.

I believe Argos have / had some that size for city centre jobbies near half a dozen of them at one time or other :unamused:
So did Richard Roberts till they went mammories up.
I`m sure someone here will either confirm or amend as accordingly :sunglasses:

If space is such a issue would a 26t ridged be more practible ?

When you see a trailer of this size behind a 6 X 2 unit,it looks a bit over the top.
I have seen on a couple of occasions one of 3663’s motors with a single axle trailer behind a 6 X 2 unit,is it loaded front end heavy?

I can’t see the point of rigids if shorter trailers can be used? Elddis claim they’re going to trial them apparently…

That trailer could be used for the Channel Islands.

The 6x2 unit pulling a short single axle trailer is usually just because that was the unit available at that time. :wink:

Fallmonk:

it would depend on how much you’d use it, it’s far better to have a trailer parked up for 6 months of the year than a rigid or you might only be able use one truck at a time, so running a artic and a rigid as opposed 2 different sized trailers would be an expensive way to do it

Woolworths had a few 20footers. Ideal in a tight spot. Could get in places a rigid couldn’t.

Fallmonk:

Perhaps if you have the same run to do day in day out but if you only need something that size a couple of days a week then having a short trailer is going to work out much more cost effective. You can probably get a unit and trailer for not a lot more than the cost of a 26t rigid and you have the advantage that you can use the unit for other work when the small jobs go quiet.

Paul

i would have said bieing one of parhams from portsmouth it would be used to do the channel islands

I have 2 short trailers myself, a 26’ single axle and a 33’ rear steer tandem, reason being that they are cheaper to buy & maintain than a rigid and, when not in use don’t need taxing or insuring.

Easier to get in & out of most places than a rigid plus, the drivers like the fact that they stay in their own unit rather than having to swap to a rigid for the day.

The only downside for me is that a lot of the work is out of hours round London so the Lorry Ban is an issue sometimes but in general the +'s outweigh the -'s.

The short single axle trailers are for the C.I. Commodore express used to have loads of them in their place on Limberline road Hilsea.
I used to occasionaly run one down to Portsmouth ferry port for Lynx, they’re a bit of a nightmare to reverse if you’re used to 40 footers as they come round pretty quick and you have to take the lock off sooner than you usually would when backing them.
You also have to be careful how you load them as the landing legs are more or less in the middle. Saw the shunter at Commodore drop one once, as soon as he pulled out, it dropped on it’s chin pivoting around the legs. The container lifter lifted it back up on it’s wheels. When they opened the curtains it had been loaded with stillages of gas bottles over the pin and flattened cardboard on the back!

We have quite a few 8 meter trailers for the small stores, we also have loads of rigids which are used for no more than 6 hours in any 24.

I find the 8 meter much more maneuverable than even the smaller rigids and the running costs opposed to having a rigid parked up in the yard makes no sense really.
We used to have some rear steer 10 meter trailers which were brilliant in tight areas.

We had 8 mtr ones on Tesco MK and even with one of those I got held up in Tesco Cricklewood because some twonk had parked his Granada Scorpio on the bend as you try to get out, I was there for 6 hours untill a cop called 'Rocky smashed the guys side window to move it.

Tesco have/had 6m tandems with single tyres and some single axled ones, they used to look a bit silly behind my 540 Stralis’s, you need to be a bit lively on the steering wheel when you go backwards with them :laughing:

A firm I worked at years ago had a Leyland Roadrunner wagon and drag that did the Channel Islands, it had to have the rub rails at the bottom of the body and the side repeater indicators removed to get inside the width limits so it could run around legally over there, it was a smart little outfit and the driver loved the job, bit of a PITA in summer with the ferries though.

We have a short trailer. It’s used for a particular job that used to be done by a rigid, but the size of there order increased. So we got a short trailer at the maximum size to get into a very tight delivery point.
We only have three axle units, so it’s pulled by a three axle unit.

Danish Bacon or Danish Butter ran ultra short trailers, bacon weighs heavy and they could get 3 trailers on a ferry for the price of a fairly normal artic.

Looks a fair old trailer in the opening post

I think they’re only worthwhile for restricted access there’s not as big a fuel saving using them for part loads as you might think.