Anyone here chosing to drive 7.5t trucks?

Is there anyone here who holds an LGV licence but prefers and is currently employed in a job driving 7.5t? The reason I ask is because the wages nowadays are so low there appears to be very little difference between 7.5t and class1 in the jobs I’ve seen advertised.

I had two skips full of plaving slabs on mine today.

:laughing:

Andyroo:

:laughing: :laughing: Yeah, give you that one, very good. :laughing: :laughing:

Andyroo:

:laughing: :laughing:

I’ve held my class 2 since May 2003 and only got my class 1 last week. Apart from driving an 18t Merc for about 6 months last year all i’ve driven is 7.5t although not for a haulage company (but thats not including the artic driven for my C+E lessons) The wages I was getting on the class 2 work were no different to what I get currently although I would rather be using that nice new (and expensive) class 1 licence even if the wages are no different. :slight_smile:

I just find that people tend to take you more seriously the more of their view you can block.

That’s just one reason.

So I’ll have the biggest bloody rigid you can find please. :slight_smile:

The same company probably collected these

btinternet.com/~a.ghinn/skip10.jpg

btinternet.com/~a.ghinn/skip14.jpg

Plenty more room in there!!
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■ wrong thread ooops :blush: :blush:

Andyroo:
I just find that people tend to take you more seriously the more of their view you can block.

That’s just one reason.

So I’ll have the biggest bloody rigid you can find please. :slight_smile:

Must admit I prefer driving class2 but when doing multi-drop i’d rather be in a 7.5t where you get half the drops for almost the same money

7.5 tonne TNT drivers are coming out with class 1 money but have to do 60 drops and 20 collections a day for it. Give me a striaght forward trunking job any day :wink:

Not on your nelly… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It grieves me LOTS if I have to drive a rigid now… let alone a 7.5tonner… Some C1 drivers see it as a day off, but I find it difficult and tedius compared to an artic…

Shrink mode on -On a personal level… I think i’m trying to prove something to the world, and feel ‘less’ of a driver in a smaller vehicle… I feel proud and chuffed to bits climbing out of an artic… This helps boost my ego/esteem, and more importantly my confidence IMO -Shrink mode off

But then after just 2ys, i’m still all “OOhh look… a big shiney lorry… And I can drive it… WOW… !!” I hear this will wear off in time, but at the moment it’s an issue… As is my need for a Scania… :laughing:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Ragtop:
Not on your nelly… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It grieves me LOTS if I have to drive a rigid now… let alone a 7.5tonner… Some C1 drivers see it as a day off, but I find it difficult and tedius compared to an artic…

Shrink mode on -On a personal level… I think i’m trying to prove something to the world, and feel ‘less’ of a driver in a smaller vehicle… I feel proud and chuffed to bits climbing out of an artic… This helps boost my ego/esteem, and more importantly my confidence IMO -Shrink mode off

But then after just 2ys, i’m still all “OOhh look… a big shiney lorry… And I can drive it… WOW… !!” I hear this will wear off in time, but at the moment it’s an issue… As is my need for a Scania… :laughing:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

yeah that about sums it up chrissi :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Jaycool007:
7.5 tonne TNT drivers are coming out with class 1 money but have to do 60 drops and 20 collections a day for it. Give me a striaght forward trunking job any day :wink:

Much as I hate multi-drop, 60 drops a day is surely only parcels ie nothing too heavy, a 7.5t is a lot easier to drive than an artic (for me!), and no chance of having to do nights out (?), all for the same money. I must admit I also get a sense of achievment driving LGV’s which can help with job satisfaction.

If the moneys right i’ll drive anything :sunglasses:

simon

mrpj:
60 drops a day is surely only parcels ie nothing too heavy

Last time I did parcels before I’d got class 2, I had 4 stupidly heavy boxes that could only be carried one at a time to go up three flights of stairs in an office building in Norwich city centre with double yellows all outside.

They had like a reception/security guy at the door, I thought I’d try and get him to take them, he wasn’t having any of it.

Andyroo:

mrpj:

Jaycool007:
, 60 drops a day is surely only parcels ie nothing too heavy,

Last time I did parcels before I’d got class 2, I had 4 stupidly heavy boxes that could only be carried one at a time to go up three flights of stairs in an office building in Norwich city centre with double yellows all outside.

They had like a reception/security guy at the door, I thought I’d try and get him to take them, he wasn’t having any of it.

I forgot about those sort of drops :exclamation:

Still given the choice i’d rather do 60 parcel drops in van or 7.5 tonne any day than do class 2 multi drop to caterers, 3663/Brakes etc. Parcels you can just hand to nice receptionist, get signiture and go, but catering deliveries you can spend up to 50 mins on a drop while your sorting out your ambent from chilled, and then they insist you deliver to back of kitchen and up stairs. All this while your either blocking car park at back or stuck on double yellows at front.

I drive a 7.5 tonner, doing some long distances and if my drops/pickups exceed 6 I’m having a hard day! (Today was Twycross - Liverpool and pickup from mid-wales back to Birmingham). I haven’t taken my LGV class 2 test and really don’t think I could earn much more if I went onto rigids. (Round here it’s mainly artics or tippers :frowning: )

So I’m quite happy in my 7.5 tonner

Calv

Calv:
I drive a 7.5 tonner, doing some long distances and if my drops/pickups exceed 6 I’m having a hard day! (Today was Twycross - Liverpool and pickup from mid-wales back to Birmingham). I haven’t taken my LGV class 2 test and really don’t think I could earn much more if I went onto rigids. (Round here it’s mainly artics or tippers :frowning: )

Calv

This is the sort of job that was in my mind, if the moneys the same why bother with LGV’s :question:

mrpj:

Calv:

Calv

This is the sort of job that was in my mind, if the moneys the same why bother with LGV’s :question:

That’s just it though, those jobs are few and far between, even if they are still few and far between on Class 2, at least you then have the ability to apply for a wider range of job oppotunities.

Just before I took Class 2 I did a day as a drivers mate for John Lewis home deliveries, their 7.5 drivers have it made if they are to be believed, the guy I was with had Class 2 himself.