Anyone here chosing to drive 7.5t trucks?

I’ve had my class 1 for 10 years now but drive 7.5 t 95% of the time doing exactly the same job as the John Lewis boys that Andyroo did and its mostly easy work BUT it can be very heavy going taking seven foot mattresses up to a 7th floor flat with no lift or 3 seat sofa beds down spiral staircases into basements.I do the occasional 17t or artic work but we get an monthly allowance for having the artic licence wether we drive them or not. I prefer small rigids because they are less restricted in the places they can go and easier to manoeuvre. Each to their own but I think there is too much ‘snobbery’ between the diferent classes of drivers on the road.What do you lot think?

We’re all out for the best job we can find and each has there own good and bad points, vehicle type included.

It was a good question though, as you can see some people, myself included, have indicated that they prefer to drive an HGV for one reason or another.

Isn’t there a saying that goes “the bigger the motor, the less work you do”? I’ve never been sure about that myself.

IMO the snobbery only occurs towards 7.5t drivers and only because most of them are driving on car licences. I’m not saying I agree with this as it doesn’t bother me what vehicle people drive, just offering an opinion. Personally I would only prefer to drive class1 as its still a novelty to me.

That’s just it.

I think part of the reason I don’t want 7.5t work is because I had to pay good money and make an effort to get C1 and C on my licence. I want that to represent something and part of that means I don’t want to be seen as just another van driver.

I hate snobbery, but when society works like that you sometimes have to work with it. I’d look a right prat turning up at a drop in a 7.5t, being treated like crap and saying “Look I’m a professional who’s got a Class 2 licence as well”.

Class one drivers are cool (C+E). Rigid drivers just can’t reverse and that’s why they prefer to drive them; if they’re honest of course… There’s a lot of pride in reversing a bender into a tight spot… Once you’ve been on “benders” you seem to get the bug and it’s almost an insult to drive rigid trucks afterwards…

Rigid drivers just can’t reverse

Cheeky ■■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

Wet Milk:
Rigid drivers just can’t reverse and that’s why they prefer to drive them; if they’re honest of course… .

Helps if you’ve got a C+E licence though. :unamused:

I drive artics 99.9% of the time - I occasionally might run a rigid to another depot, but I really don’t care what I drive.

All I ask for is a radio.

I think it’s important to drive everything because it keeps your standards up on all classes of vehicle.

And I get paid the same whether I drive a 44 tonne artic or a Ford Fiesta.

I think there is a great deal of snobbery - 'It makes me laugh when I’m doing a delivery and the Arla 4 wheeler turns up and has trouble reversing in. The first thing the driver will say is, “POXY RIGIDS - I NORMALLY DRIVE ARTICS”

I know people spend loads getting their tickets, and have great pride in being able to drive an artic (myself included) - just makes me chuckle that they think I’m going to judge them on what wagon they’ve rolled up in!

no… :wink:

Jaycool007:
… you can spend up to 50 mins on a drop while your sorting out your ambent from chilled, and then they insist you deliver to back of kitchen and up stairs…

I’ve had that when doing off-license deliveries. Threatening that you’ll take the whole lot back with you usually works wonders with those who think you’re their unpaid storeman.

Threatening that you’ll take the whole lot back with you usually works wonders with those who think you’re their unpaid storeman.

Certainly does and despite what some people think youv’e got every right to do it.

Now whenever i register with a new agency i always put down on application form that i wont do Catering deliveries, groceries, council contracts, schools or drayman. Been there done that :wink:

Ragtop:
Not on your nelly… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It grieves me LOTS if I have to drive a rigid now… let alone a 7.5tonner… Some C1 drivers see it as a day off, but I find it difficult and tedius compared to an artic…

Shrink mode on -On a personal level… I think i’m trying to prove something to the world, and feel ‘less’ of a driver in a smaller vehicle… I feel proud and chuffed to bits climbing out of an artic… This helps boost my ego/esteem, and more importantly my confidence IMO -Shrink mode off

But then after just 2ys, i’m still all “OOhh look… a big shiney lorry… And I can drive it… WOW… !!” I hear this will wear off in time, but at the moment it’s an issue… As is my need for a Scania… :laughing:

I hear you Chrissie, I didnt sweat blood to get my Class1 licence then have to go and drive lesser vehicles. This is not saying the people driving them are lesser people, I respect you for doing 50-60 drops a day, just so i dont have to. Besides i am the first to admit I am a terrible multidropper. Anyhoo I would rather turn down that kind of work and lose a days’ pay. The agency know I will only accept Class1 work, maybe a wag & drag if my arm is twisted hard enough :confused:

So if you were given a choice between doing 6 drops on a 7.5t and 6 drops on a class1 (no handball unloaded by forklift) for, lets say the same money, some would chose the class 1?

mrpj:
So if you were given a choice between doing 6 drops on a 7.5t and 6 drops on a class1 (no handball unloaded by forklift) for, lets say the same money, some would chose the class 1?

Yep :smiley:

The last one I drove was for DHL, I just couldnt convince myself it was legal to drive in the 3rd lane.

It just felt wrong,

I will drive anything though

mrpj:

Umm Yes of course, and I have done that, not some prissy forklift job. unload your own with pallet truck, or heavy cages, and also handballed. I dont mind getting my hands dirty, I also like the exercise, cos i dont half need it LOL :laughing: