Anyone got wifi

or know how to get wifi in there truck wat thinking of getting a tablet but will need wifi i expect as 3g is always slow any ideas

i got a dongle when they first came out mainstream on 3 network, more often than not i could watch iplayer etc without any buffering issues

run my tablet off me iphone dont have any problems with the 3g or speed of it :sunglasses:

Can either tether it to smart phone or have a look at mifi.

how do you run it off your phone??

make you phone a wi fi hotspot then connect tablet to phone via wi fi.
each phone is different so you need to look in the wireless section of your phone to fine either thether of wi fi .

iphone 5 allows you to connect ur laptop or tablet to it using wifi off the phone and i think the iphone 4 allows this aswell

gezt:
make you phone a wi fi hotspot then connect tablet to phone via wi fi.
each phone is different so you need to look in the wireless section of your phone to fine either thether of wi fi .

i’ll have a look i was going to get a o2 wifi thing ive just found but if my phone will do it i’ll try that i have a i phone 4

Some Networks disable the hotspot feature in the iPhone settings for some reason, I use my iPhone 4 as a hotspot but I know someone else on Orange who doesn’t even have the option in the menu, Personal Hotspot should be listed beneath your WiFi setting On/Off option if you have it.

harvey69:
iphone 5 allows you to connect ur laptop or tablet to it using wifi off the phone and i think the iphone 4 allows this aswell

Note: You may need to get it activated by your provider - one of the annoyances of iphones, they are treated as a separate category as far as data is concerned.

Also, if you’re tethering to a phone or using a dongle, unless you are with EE and have 4g then it is still 3g you’ll be using.

If you have broadband at home from BT then you can make use of the BT network of Hotspots and these do work very well as they are ‘proper’ wifi.

i have the option so how does this work does it work off 3g

hodgeR500:
i have the option so how does this work does it work off 3g

I think our posts crossed but ‘yes’, they are all 3g if based on using a SIM, whether it’s in a dongle, your phone or in the tablet itself.

dont have any problems with it at all , you just go into to settings make it a wifi hotspot and bobs ya uncle , make sure you set a password on it tho :laughing:

harvey69:

but you have to pay your network for the privelidge

harvey69:
dont have any problems with it at all , you just go into to settings make it a wifi hotspot and bobs ya uncle , make sure you set a password on it tho :laughing:

nic one i’ll give it a go i’ll have a toddle to currys for a tablet i think :smiley:

Just make sure you know what your data limit is on your phone per month else it could get expensive!

Silver_Surfer:
Just make sure you know what your data limit is on your phone per month else it could get expensive!

and once you’ve found out, then 3g watchdog is your friend :sunglasses:

well it is on android anyway :laughing:

use the wifi hotspot on my phone all the time, i think last month i managed to get up to 30 mg of data useage oopps!!! glad i have unlimited internet useaged with t mobile full monty package :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If you have BT wireless at home you get free access to all their wireless hotspots which seem to be everywhere.

hodgeR500:
or know how to get wifi in there truck wat thinking of getting a tablet but will need wifi i expect as 3g is always slow any ideas

I may be misunderstanding the question, but “getting Wi-Fi in the truck” will still involve a 3G connection (unless you park right next to a Wi-Fi hotspot or carry a very long cable…). It matters not whether you use a 3G-equipped tablet, or use a smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, the Internet connection will still be reliant on 3G to get from the mobile network into your cab. Well, it will do until 4G coverage extends to the majority of MSAs, truckstops and lay-bys - which it will not do for a year or three at least.