Anyone ever train/gain with Stobarts?

As per title, had too put off doing my hgv couple years ago now due to bereavement, but now times right and I’ve my theory an the others booked for June 5th…

Now I were contacted by Stobarts to due an enquiry, and they are offering to get you C2/C1 then a guaranteed job once passed.

Just wondered if anyone has been through it, and been successful in getting a job with them.?

As a noob, I can’t help but think it’s a good way into the industry and I like the fact you don’t just get lobbed out on your own once passed, your buddied up… (hope it’s not a ploy to get a spy in to cab then sack ya off for sneezing a day later… [emoji1787])…

Costs, 3.4k from b-ce Inc all theory, so not horrific from my research.

So yeah anyways sorry for long winded but really appreciate any input, and thanks for the platform to ask [emoji41]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I really struggled to get a start after getting my class 1 licence, eventually stobarts gave me a start and I can’t really fault them. As a new driver they really looked after me with training and everything else I wasn’t sure about. I was buddied with another driver for about 3 weeks and that on its own is priceless. I was in a different situation to yours as in I already had my c+E but I’d say go for it

ProudNewbie:
I really struggled to get a start after getting my class 1 licence, eventually stobarts gave me a start and I can’t really fault them. As a new driver they really looked after me with training and everything else I wasn’t sure about. I was buddied with another driver for about 3 weeks and that on its own is priceless. I was in a different situation to yours as in I already had my c+E but I’d say go for it

Really appreciate the reply thanks man…
Fleet always look well maintained, modern, and I can’t really invisage them cutting corners with regards to operating procedures, plus my dad drove for em for a while and he said they were no bother except occasionally inexperienced planners but on whole all was good with them.

I’m lucky as I’ve family near one of the training centres, so again that’s another bonus, and I do like the mentor part too.

Just wondering if you can be allocated to a depot nearer to my own area if I did get successful, gotta get more info off them.

Again cheers for the input fella [emoji41]

Benjie83:
As per title, had too put off doing my hgv couple years ago now due to bereavement, but now times right and I’ve my theory an the others booked for June 5th…

Now I were contacted by Stobarts due to due an enquiry, and they are offering to get you C2/C1 then a guaranteed job once passed.

Just wonders if anyone has been through it, and been successful in getting a job with them.?

As a noob, I can’t help but think it’s a good way into the industry and I like the fact you don’t just get lobbed out on your own once passed, your buddied up… (hope it’s not a ploy to get a spy in to cab then sack ya off for sneezing a day later… [emoji1787])…

So yeah anyways sorry for long winded but really appreciate any input, and thanks for the platform to ask [emoji41]

I aint a particular fan of Stobarts, but to be fair I would think you would get good proper training there in all aspects of the job.
They do look as if they do things right at training level, and if there is a guaranteed job at the end of it, then it sounds a good scheme,… and especially with the further on the job training accompanying an experienced driver after you pass your test will be invaluable.

However :smiley: …3 to 4k? :open_mouth: , if it was me mate, I’d be better spending it getting training to obtain tickets on road construction machines, you’ll recuperate it back faster, and make a lot more money than you ever will driving a truck, and it’s a much better proposition imo. :bulb:

This job is not all it’s cracked up to be, nor as good as it once was, in terms of t.s and c.s, money and ridiculously long (and bizarelly legally allowed) hours.

I know what it’s like to be keen and wanting to be a trucker, but the advice is there mate, take it or leave it…but good luck in what you decide anyway.

robroy:

Benjie83:

Now I were contacted by Stobarts due to due an enquiry, and they are offering to get you C2/C1 then a guaranteed job once passed.

Just wonders if anyone has been through it, and been successful in getting a job with them.?

I aint a particular fan of Stobarts, but to be fair I would think you would get good proper training there in all aspects of the job.
They do look as if they do things right at training level, and if there is a guaranteed job at the end of it, then it sounds a good scheme,… and especially with the further on the job training accompanying an experienced driver after you pass your test will be invaluable.

However :smiley: …3 to 4k? :open_mouth: , if it was me mate, I’d be better spending it getting training to obtain tickets on road construction machines, you’ll recuperate it back faster, and make a lot more money than you ever will driving a truck, and it’s a much better proposition imo. :bulb:

This job is not all it’s cracked up to be, nor as good as it once was, in terms of t.s and c.s, money and ridiculously long (and bizarelly legally allowed) hours.

I know what it’s like to be keen and wanting to be a trucker, but the advice is there mate, take it or leave it…but good luck in what you decide anyway.

^^^^ The wise young driver should take note. Excellent (and free) advice.

Fancy working 8am until 4pm and make that 3pm on Friday? Then get your 360 excavator ticket or tele handler or in fact as Rob says, any construction machinery. Many houses are about to get built and there is a GENUINE shortage of drivers in that field.

Get in quick before the EE’s do :bulb:

robroy:

Benjie83:

Many thanks Robroy…

Totally appreciate your input, and i have thought about obtaining G/H tickets maybe with a view to being able to go do stgo work, and I’d like to have ADR as a future string…

I grew up in a cab, dad was an OD it’s kind of the only place I feel settled, Stockholm syndrome or whatever its called probably [emoji1787]

As for the cost, I fully appreciate the input on that, it’s alot but around my neck of woods there’s plenty of hgv work due too Felixstowe, ok wages may be lower due to supply, but if its stable that’s ok

To be honest there really isn’t much else(that I’ve found atleast) that I can do for 4k, or get a foot into, but im happy to be enlightened if anyones got an idea or two…

Many thanks again Robroy [emoji41]

Benjie83:
Many thanks Robroy…

Totally appreciate your input, and i have thought about obtaining G/H tickets maybe with a view to being able to go do stgo work, and I’d like to have ADR as a future string…

I grew up in a cab, dad was an OD it’s kind of the only place I feel settled, Stockholm syndrome or whatever its called probably [emoji1787]

As for the cost, I fully appreciate the input on that, it’s alot but around my neck of woods there’s plenty of hgv work due too Felixstowe, ok wages may be lower due to supply, but if its stable that’s ok

To be honest there really isn’t much else(that I’ve found atleast) that I can do for 4k, or get a foot into, but im happy to be enlightened if anyones got an idea or two…

No probs mate.
I was once the same, my Dad drove and I spent a lot of time away with driver mates when I got older, so I wanted to do nothing else.
The job was MUCH different then, and hoestly speaking if it was today instead of then I wouldn’t even consider it…I even talked my 2 lads out of it who also spent a lot of time away with me.
I’d still go gor the machines option, …but you’ll know your own mind.

As for ideas to get a licence… …I don’t know how old you are, but what about Territorial Army, I know a lad who got his licence that way, saved his cash and saw a bit of the world into the bargain, he even decided to join the regulars he enjoyed it so much.

robroy:

Benjie83:
Many thanks Robroy…

No probs mate.
I was once the same, my Dad drove and I spent a lot of time away with driver mates when I got older, so I wanted to do nothing else.
The job was MUCH different then, and hoestly speaking if it was today instead of then I wouldn’t even consider it…I even talked my 2 lads out of it who also spent a lot of time away with me.
I’d still go gor the machines option, …but you’ll know your own mind.

As for ideas to get a licence… …I don’t know how old you are, but what about Territorial Army, I know a lad who got his licence that way, saved his cash and saw a bit of the world into the bargain, he even decided to join the regulars he enjoyed it so much.

I’m the ripe old age of 36 mate, the brow is approaching [emoji849][emoji1787]

Like you say I think for alot of us it’s in the blood, but like you I wouldn’t push my sons into it, unless it were a VERY good role on top money, tramping is a way of life, your the mixed martial artists of the road [emoji109][emoji1787]

Like I say, I’m totally open to other paths, I’m merely looking at what’s about within my geographical area mainly, and job security of course…

360 opp pay between 11-17ph from what I see about round here…

Stobarts max your hours. If it wasn’t for that, I would still be with them. Job is ok, good as anywhere else. Kit is usually knackered, take no notice of what you see on the tv, it’s all crap.

johnteller:
Stobarts max your hours. If it wasn’t for that, I would still be with them. Job is ok, good as anywhere else. Kit is usually knackered, take no notice of what you see on the tv, it’s all crap.

7465D09A-1672-41A6-9D26-78391608F761.jpeg

johnteller:

Thanks chap, just looking as a way in once passed, lol and nah I don’t subscribe to the TV tripe hence I’m on here [emoji106]

robroy:
However :smiley: …3 to 4k? :open_mouth: , if it was me mate, I’d be better spending it getting training to obtain tickets on road construction machines, you’ll recuperate it back faster, and make a lot more money than you ever will driving a truck, and it’s a much better proposition imo.

My dad is a 360 operator and works a 37.5 hour week with maybe a couple saturdays a month, he finishes early on fridays and has every bank holiday off and 2 weeks off at xmas time and he clears over 2k to 2.5k a month depending on his saturdays overtime.

He worked away when i was in my teens and his payslips then were something id never seen before, i saw 1 for over 1100 for a weeks graft but he was working putting cables in the roads and digging the trenches out for them etc he said it was hard graft but the money was worth it. He would go to the digs after work and be exhausted and had little sleep due to the working hours.

I would have done this line of work if i was as interested in machines as i am in trucks but im not. I would love to transport the big dumpers and machines around the country tho.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eagerbeaver:

robroy:

Benjie83:

Fancy working 8am until 4pm and make that 3pm on Friday? Then get your 360 excavator ticket or tele handler or in fact as Rob says, any construction machinery. Many houses are about to get built and there is a GENUINE shortage of drivers in that field.

yep fill your boots and contribute to concreting over the only redeeming,but damned,aspect of; England’s natural landscapes.I wouldn’t want that on my conscience. :cry:

eagerbeaver:

robroy:

Benjie83:

Cheers Beaver [emoji109][emoji109][emoji41][emoji41]

Ive held reach/balance before and soon as I got those, the arse fell out financially so i lapsed them.

Only worry with plant is, those quiet periods…
Yeah I know haulage is the same but I’d like to hope if with a fairly secure firm hopefully I’d keep a wage in…

I live on a building site at the moment, terrifying how quick 1500 houses go up, then boom no work digging foundations [emoji1787][emoji1787]

And no, I’m not trying to convince myself into hgv hahaha just trying to be sure my 4k earns me a wage is all, hence I felt stobbies may be the option for a career…

Really appreciate all the input folks, do please keep it coming [emoji41][emoji41]

Jonbones89:

robroy:
However :smiley: …3 to 4k? :open_mouth: , if it was me mate, I’d be better spending it getting training to obtain tickets on road construction machines, you’ll recuperate it back faster, and make a lot more money than you ever will driving a truck, and it’s a much better proposition imo.

My dad is a 360 operator and works a 37.5 hour week with maybe a couple saturdays a month, he finishes early on fridays and has every bank holiday off and 2 weeks off at xmas time and he clears over 2k to 2.5k a month depending on his saturdays overtime.

He worked away when i was in my teens and his payslips then were something id never seen before, i saw 1 for over 1100 for a weeks graft but he was working putting cables in the roads and digging the trenches out for them etc he said it was hard graft but the money was worth it. He would go to the digs after work and be exhausted and had little sleep due to the working hours.

I would have done this line of work if i was as interested in machines as i am in trucks but im not. I would love to transport the big dumpers and machines around the country tho.

Cheers fella…

Appreciate the imput alot [emoji106][emoji106]

Benji i just read your post above your reply to me, these “quiet periods” in construction you speak of ive never heard about it. My dad has worked all his life in the industry and ive never seen him out of work, however my old man makes one of them machimes look like an extra limb he really is good and as a result he can walk away from a job on monday and be somewhere else on the tuesday.

Once firms know you can drive the machines good they throw money at you and want you to stay. But if you are crap and dont know what your doing they will have you leave quicker than you arrived. Thats another reason why i was put off getting the tickets.

Jonbones89:
Benji i just read your post above your reply to me, these “quiet periods” in construction you speak of ive never heard about it. My dad has worked all his life in the industry and ive never seen him out of work, however my old man makes one of them machimes look like an extra limb he really is good and as a result he can walk away from a job on monday and be somewhere else on the tuesday.

Once firms know you can drive the machines good they throw money at you and want you to stay. But if you are crap and dont know what your doing they will have you leave quicker than you arrived. Thats another reason why i was put off getting the tickets.

I get that fella, like any job hey.

My brothers got alot of tickets for various heavy plant but he’s landed a sweet one on a reclaim site, it’s cream lol but that was because the building game had slowed, me I’d obviously be aiming for civals but again that’s rocky at best, another of my brothers is on the rails, and alot of the plant is simply hired in so the operators are very insecure with regular patters, hence I aimed hgv as hopefully there be food to shift, thus, in a job for more than 2yrs [emoji1787]

I done me class 1 with stobart and was offered a job at the end of it. I never took the job, just didnt fancy doing the tesco stuff. I would have done if there was not other options but just wanted different type of work. Cant really fault their set up for training and i would personally recommend them. Good luck in what ever you do.

vikingpete:
I done me class 1 with stobart and was offered a job at the end of it. I never took the job, just didnt fancy doing the tesco stuff. I would have done if there was not other options but just wanted different type of work. Cant really fault their set up for training and i would personally recommend them. Good luck in what ever you do.

Muchos Gracious Mr Viking [emoji106]

Does the training include CPC as that’s 500 quid roughly?

Where do you get the guaranteed job as they have a lot of depots but will only have jobs at certain ones? Could find you have to take a job anywhere for the guarantee.

Does the fee include any retests? Hopefully you wouldn’t need it, but things can go wrong for the best.

Not sure Stobarts do ADR, but overall doesn’t sound too bad, beyond the hours and having to be seen in a green truck (unless you can get a Tesco trailer).