Anyone ever train/gain with Stobarts?

johnteller:
Stobarts max your hours. If it wasn’t for that, I would still be with them. Job is ok, good as anywhere else. Kit is usually knackered, take no notice of what you see on the tv, it’s all crap.

I think you’ll find there are other companies that also max your hours [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

[emoji20]

trevHCS:
Does the training include CPC as that’s 500 quid roughly?

Where do you get the guaranteed job as they have a lot of depots but will only have jobs at certain ones? Could find you have to take a job anywhere for the guarantee.

Does the fee include any retests? Hopefully you wouldn’t need it, but things can go wrong for the best.

Not sure Stobarts do ADR, but overall doesn’t sound too bad, beyond the hours and having to be seen in a green truck (unless you can get a Tesco trailer).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://eddiestobart.com/careers-and-training/driving-school/&ved=2ahUKEwialunW-rviAhVuRxUIHUMLAQsQFjAOegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3kSQQllmtGmEsqR_42a2e6&cshid=1558968681777

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

trevHCS:
Does the training include CPC as that’s 500 quid roughly?

Where do you get the guaranteed job as they have a lot of depots but will only have jobs at certain ones? Could find you have to take a job anywhere for the guarantee.

Does the fee include any retests? Hopefully you wouldn’t need it, but things can go wrong for the best.

Not sure Stobarts do ADR, but overall doesn’t sound too bad, beyond the hours and having to be seen in a green truck (unless you can get a Tesco trailer).

Thanks for the input Mr hcs…

As for the depot allocation, I’d be looking to tramp if possible, but I believe they’ve a depot at Felixstowe so I’d be asking for some clarity before the lines signed.

Retests… Not that I see, but again I will be fully clarifying berore a penny leaves me, but thanks for raising the question as to be honest that one had slipped my mind.

I’d dropped a link to the training content above, but I’ve got my theory’s, mod2 booked for the 5th anyway so may try haggle them [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Lol Green, green is the colour of intellect apparently, and my partner works for tesco so I’m used to their drab blue [emoji1787]

Again really appreciate your input [emoji106]

If the opportunity is there go for it. 3.4k probably slightly on the high side but they will train to be a lorry driver and how to do the job in the real world rather than just how to pass a test which is what most training companies will offer you. Depending on your location the job at the end of it could be invaluable. Some end up with the dregs of agency work for years before finding proper employment. If I was you I’d go for it with stobarts.

Rowley010:
If the opportunity is there go for it. 3.4k probably slightly on the high side but they will train to be a lorry driver and how to do the job in the real world rather than just how to pass a test which is what most training companies will offer you. Depending on your location the job at the end of it could be invaluable. Some end up with the dregs of agency work for years before finding proper employment. If I was you I’d go for it with stobarts.

Thanks bud, much appreciated [emoji106]

Hopefully, I really can’t be living on agency calls, mouths to feed hence I’m prepared to pay a touch more if successful, as being shown the ropes hopefully by a proper driver is invaluable to me and I hope would then secure me solid employment as a useful mule [emoji106]

manalishi:

eagerbeaver:

robroy:

Benjie83:
As per title, had too put off doing my hgv couple years ago now due to bereavement, but now times right and I’ve my theory an the others booked for June 5th…

Now I were contacted by Stobarts due to due an enquiry, and they are offering to get you C2/C1 then a guaranteed job once passed.

Just wonders if anyone has been through it, and been successful in getting a job with them.?

As a noob, I can’t help but think it’s a good way into the industry and I like the fact you don’t just get lobbed out on your own once passed, your buddied up… (hope it’s not a ploy to get a spy in to cab then sack ya off for sneezing a day later… [emoji1787])…

Costs, 3.4k from b-ce Inc all theory, so not horrific from my research.

So yeah anyways sorry for long winded but really appreciate any input, and thanks for the platform to ask [emoji41]

I aint a particular fan of Stobarts, but to be fair I would think you would get good proper training there in all aspects of the job.
They do look as if they do things right at training level, and if there is a guaranteed job at the end of it, then it sounds a good scheme,… and especially with the further on the job training accompanying an experienced driver after you pass your test will be invaluable.

However :smiley: …3 to 4k? :open_mouth: , if it was me mate, I’d be better spending it getting training to obtain tickets on road construction machines, you’ll recuperate it back faster, and make a lot more money than you ever will driving a truck, and it’s a much better proposition imo. :bulb:

This job is not all it’s cracked up to be, nor as good as it once was, in terms of t.s and c.s, money and ridiculously long (and bizarelly legally allowed) hours.

I know what it’s like to be keen and wanting to be a trucker, but the advice is there mate, take it or leave it…but good luck in what you decide anyway.

^^^^ The wise young driver should take note. Excellent (and free) advice.

Fancy working 8am until 4pm and make that 3pm on Friday? Then get your 360 excavator ticket or tele handler or in fact as Rob says, any construction machinery. Many houses are about to get built and there is a GENUINE shortage of drivers in that field.

Get in quick before the EE’s do :bulb:

yep fill your boots and contribute to concreting over the only redeeming,but damned,aspect of; England’s natural landscapes.I wouldn’t want that on my conscience. :cry:

You make a fair point mate. In an ideal world I would recommend another path but we are where we are. I too dislike the fast approaching concrete jungle, and I understand the moral dilemma you have highlighted. Not sure it’s an age thing or just a general acceptance of the corrupt and fractured country we reside in (probably both), but I am fast subscribing to the " look after #1 " club.

Not enough people around us have the strength and/or desire to change the world anymore. It’s like ■■■■■■■ in the wind and it’s immaterial really as day after day the UK population increases. More homes are required and in my view (compromised as it is) it would be better to drive the construction machines rather than drive the lorries delivering the concrete and timber.

Either way we are all contributing to the problem of over population :confused:

Would also be worth asking how long they contract you for once your in the job?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Jonbones89:
Benji i just read your post above your reply to me, these “quiet periods” in construction you speak of ive never heard about it

Google the word recession. Or come to realise that dads and people their age can talk as much ■■■■ as anyone else

El Deano:

If your paying 3.4k yourself probably nothing, but yeah it’s worth double checking

Jimmy McNulty:

Jonbones89:
Benji i just read your post above your reply to me, these “quiet periods” in construction you speak of ive never heard about it

Google the word recession. Or come to realise that dads and people their age can talk as much [zb] as anyone else

Ok my dad missed loads of work when i was growing up especially in the recession. He must have gone out and sat in his car all day but i dont know who must have donated our family the money to pay the bills and raise 4 kids.

He has always been in construction driving machines for aslong as i can remember and never struggled finding work anywhere unless i dreamt all of that im not sure can you let me know if i did or not please cos you seem to know??.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

Cheers fella, I’ve popped that on the clarification list [emoji106]

If I pay in full, sadly i believe its like any other job, first two years you can be dissmissed at any time unless signed contract otherwise…

As for the finance, I’d like to think stobarts deduct from wage, if so I may lob a bit on hp, may be a way of hoping they keep me on then [emoji23][emoji23]

Jonbones89:

Jimmy McNulty:

Jonbones89:

Google the word recession. Or come to realise that dads and people their age can talk as much [zb] as anyone else

Ok my dad missed loads of work when i was growing up especially in the recession. He must have gone out and sat in his car all day but i dont know who must have donated our family the money to pay the bills and raise 4 kids.

He has always been in construction driving machines for aslong as i can remember and never struggled finding work anywhere unless i dreamt all of that im not sure can you let me know if i did or not please cos you seem to know??.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know there were thousands upon thousands out of work in the UK in 2008 and all across Europe white elephant construction projects that still haven’t been finished.

Same again early 90’s and no building at all in certain parts of the UK in the 70’s and 80’s.

Your dad might have been lucky and you might never heard of a quiet period in construction but it doesn’t mean others were or that it hasn’t happened. In fact the predictions are that the quietest period since 2008 is just about.to happen.

In fact think I might know you? Was that you in that song about your dad driving a JCB?