Anyone done this work before?

Hello all

Well I came across this advert today from expert group UK Ltd for class 1 drivers working out of the lidl site in Newton Aycliffe. It’s DHL driving Scania trucks to lidl stores, loading/unloading with ppt electric pallet trucks.

Does anyone have any experience of this company, work involved? What’s it like, ok for a newbie like myself? I think it payes 108 per day PAYE. 4 on 4 off (12 hour shifts).

I would really appreciate your views on this as I don’t want to give my current full time job for this if it’s not going to be any suitable.

They’ve since phoned me and and asked if I can go down Saturday afternoon and go out with someone to try it out. I’m abit nervous but excited also.

Thanks guys.

£9 ph for class one work…just say no.

xichrisxi:

I’m not sure what the rate is in around Gateshead, but if it was my area I’d also be saying no! :cry:

Try giving RET Transport of Sedgefield or George Allinson’s in Darlington a ring.They subby for Lidl in Aycliffe.Pretty sure the pay will be a little more favourable towards you.

:slight_smile:
Have a read through this post from a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113909

It will give you a very good insight of what the job entails.

Although it features a different RDC, the job is by and large the same at all of them.

The subcontractor’s drivers tend to cover the same runs each day, whereas the main contractor, in this case DHL, will have their drivers covering a wider variety of stores in the region.
A driver that I work with at the moment used to work out of the LIDL Runcorn RDC has read through the post above and confirms all this.

I can’t help with info on the current terms and conditions in your local region, you’ll have to get that from the ‘horses mouth’ when you get there!

Good Luck. :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

xichrisxi:

I’m not sure what the rate is in around Gateshead, but if it was my area I’d also be saying no! :cry:

Thank you for the reply. So is it possible to get more than they’re offering when just starting out? I’ve had my licence years but lack of commercial experience? Had a 2 hour refresher last Friday which went smoothly. Not sure what to do as it’s also a 50 mile round commute so got to think about fuel too. :confused:

BeakFreak81:
Try giving RET Transport of Sedgefield or George Allinson’s in Darlington a ring.They subby for Lidl in Aycliffe.Pretty sure the pay will be a little more favourable towards you.

Thank you I might just do that. If the pay is right I don’t mind the commute.

Deesider:
:slight_smile:
Have a read through this post from a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113909

It will give you a very good insight of what the job entails.

Although it features a different RDC, the job is by and large the same at all of them.

The subcontractor’s drivers tend to cover the same runs each day, whereas the main contractor, in this case DHL, will have their drivers covering a wider variety of stores in the region.
A driver that I work with at the moment used to work out of the LIDL Runcorn RDC has read through the post above and confirms all this.

I can’t help with info on the current terms and conditions in your local region, you’ll have to get that from the ‘horses mouth’ when you get there!

Good Luck. :wink:

Thank you for the link I’ll give it some thought to what I’m going to do.

Just out interest are there any members on here from Gateshead/Newcastle and surrounding areas where as i could pick there brains on how things are in this region? I would really appreciate it if there is if you could mention myself and if they can help then to contact me. cheers guys

4 on 4 off
some weeks are only 3 days
I,e mon to thur rest days, you work fri to mon, so that pay week is only 3 days, as the Monday would be the following week
£108 taxed minus a good gallon of fuel commuting everyday
I’d say no too

I do 4 on 4 off, but I’m on salary, so every week I get paid the same

Godzilla41:

Evil8Beezle:

xichrisxi:

Thank you for the reply. So is it possible to get more than they’re offering when just starting out? I’ve had my licence years but lack of commercial experience? Had a 2 hour refresher last Friday which went smoothly. Not sure what to do as it’s also a 50 mile round commute so got to think about fuel too. :confused:

I’d guess that the agency get the same rate from the client whether you have 20 years experience or no experience, as you main task is to get the truck from A to B. I’ll then let you then work out whether you should get a lower rate or not… :wink:

As for people in your area, try send the EagerBeaver a PM, he’s work for almost everyone in that veracity! :laughing:
(Which to me is North of Watford! :wink:)
Although if I was to be serious for a second, Robroy is a bit closer to Gateshead… :smiley:

Thank you guys I appreciate it.

Godzilla41:

Evil8Beezle:

xichrisxi:

12 hrs is £9ph
15hrs (and you will do them if you get hold ups etc at deliveries) drops you to £7.20ph that’s minimum wage,that’s a wage you could walk into ANY job and earn so why would you settle for that having forked out thousands for your hgv.

tonyb70:
4 on 4 off
some weeks are only 3 days
I,e mon to thur rest days, you work fri to mon, so that pay week is only 3 days, as the Monday would be the following week
£108 taxed minus a good gallon of fuel commuting everyday
I’d say no too

I do 4 on 4 off, but I’m on salary, so every week I get paid the same

I see your point Tony. How do you find the 4 on 4 off system? Is it days and nights?

I’m thinking of not going through with this offer as I think I can do better, especially with the commute too. Off subject for a second, I’ve tried to send a PM and it’s stuck in outbox and not sent items. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? :smiley:

They will be advertising for a reason and it won’t be because its a decent job…

Godzilla41:
I’m thinking of not going through with this offer as I think I can do better, especially with the commute too. Off subject for a second, I’ve tried to send a PM and it’s stuck in outbox and not sent items. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? :smiley:

It will stay there until the recipient opens/reads it…

Ok thanks for the advice guys, I think I’m going to skip this offer for the reasons mentioned. It makes no sense when I’m going to be on less pay.

PM sent dinosaur.

And pm from me on way also. :wink: