Anybody hear`d of J.G. Stamper?

Found these old photos on another forum

More photos

I remember J G stamper from Penrith,regulars on the A74 carrying steel. I think they had a depot in Glasgow,anyway some lads on here will know for definite. :slight_smile:

Dennis will be the man who knows about them I would have thought.They are also on the hauliers from ■■■■■■■ Thread.
A couple of pics borrowed from off that thread courtesey of bubbleman & bob-lad.

Now I guess all those old Geoff Stamper motors were most probably in fine running order when they were parked up in the “graveyard” Why ? His uncle Gordon ( G. A.) did the same as well,ended up with a load of deteriating scrap,must have been something in the “Stamper genes”.Perculiar to say the least,personally I could never stand to see scrap motors laying around the depot,but I recall keeping one Scania 81 in the graveyard which had had a load of new spares fitted prior to it coming out of service which the fitters robbed to use on the half dozen 81’s we ran,it did save us a bomb,but when it had “yeilded” all it’s useful bounty-----gas axe,and out the remnants went to the scrappy !!

Chris Webb:
I remember J G stamper from Penrith,regulars on the A74 carrying steel. I think they had a depot in Glasgow,anyway some lads on here will know for definite. :slight_smile:

Hiya Chris,had any hailstones ? like bloody marbles here!! The Glasgow Stamper from Weir St. was J.G.'s father,and G.A. was his brother(Geoffs uncle) Cheers Dennis.

Delivered fuel here many times in the old days.

Stanfield:
Dennis will be the man who knows about them I would have thought.They are also on the hauliers from ■■■■■■■ Thread.
A couple of pics borrowed from off that thread.10

I met Geoff a time or two although I never met Gordon though,they were both big Atki/Gardner fans and I believe Gordon was involved with the development of the 240LXB,he was also involved in early F1 motor racing I believe.Geoff was a main haulier for Massey Ferguson for many years.Gordon was into Bulk Milk haulage via Express Dairies of Appleby.But I never had any dealings with them but they were always very well respected within the industry.Cheers Dennis.

They appear to still be in business and running a very mixed fleet of about 20 vehicles , a mix of makes are used ,Foden Alphas ,both tractor units and rigids , some ERFs and a few MANs . The fleet always looks in a very smart condition , a credit to the operator , the drivers and mechanics .

Bewick:
Gordon was into Bulk Milk haulage via Express Dairies of Appleby.But I never had any dealings with them but they were always very well respected within the industry.Cheers Dennis.

Jeff had restored, many years ago, an ex-works Atki 4-wheeler with an underfloor engine:

Atkinson 4x2 Stamper.197 by Frank Hilton, on Flickr

I believe that his land still includes a Rear Steer Atkinson tractor (two went for scrap from the G A Stamper auction) and I was once told (though I didn’t hear it direct) that he was intendng to restore it until he discovered that there was another one already in preservation.

Bewick:

Stanfield:
A couple of pics borrowed from off that thread.10

I met Geoff a time or two although I never met Gordon though,they were both big Atki/Gardner fans and I believe Gordon was involved with the development of the 240LXB,he was also involved in early F1 motor racing I believe.Geoff was a main haulier for Massey Ferguson for many years.Gordon was into Bulk Milk haulage via Express Dairies of Appleby.But I never had any dealings with them but they were always very well respected within the industry.Cheers Dennis.

I used to load at Massey Fergusons Trafford Park,Manchester when driving for Humber McVeigh’s,always be in the company of 1 or 2 Stampers,always thought was an aweful colour scheme their motors had!!

Take it easy,

David :smiley:

It is typical of some of those old school hauliers who just ran the lorries hard and parked them up when they were done with them. Harrisons, Shirleys, Stamper, Patterson. There will be many others, like farmers who wont sell anything in case someone gets a bargain :stuck_out_tongue:

hi all, worked alongside many of geoff stampers drivers in the late 80s and 90s hauling tractors out of ford new hollands at basildon good bunch of lads!!

hiya…theres some nice trucks in the photo;s. have these photo’s been taken recently or are they old photo’s.
one question . i can’t remember seeing a commer with the large (7inch) and 5 inch headights together. why
was that. any idea;s
thanks
John

they are back on the go! pass them on a regular basis. Daf CF’s as far as i know in the same livery

3300John:
hiya…theres some nice trucks in the photo;s. have these photo’s been taken recently or are they old photo’s.
one question . i can’t remember seeing a commer with the large (7inch) and 5 inch headights together. why
was that. any idea;s
thanks
John

Hi 3300John ,
The size of the outer pair of headlights was altered to conform to changes in regulations regarding either extreme positioning , diameter of the headlights , OR both. This alteration was only done on later Commer cabs , prior to the introduction of the new Commando cab . Karrier Bantams also had their headlights spaced further apart to the outer edges of the cab shell .
I think these changes were made around 1971 , or thereabouts. Maybe someone else can shed " more light " on this subject !

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

This was on facebook.

2681_1116003666121_1550697_n.jpg

Taken in Birmingham the other day -

fryske:
Taken in Birmingham the other day -

I was sorry to hear that Geoff has passed away,the industry has lost another gentleman for sure! I met him a few times in the 70’s when we both dealt with Scotts of Penrith,the local Atki distributor.Geoff always came over as being precise and well mannered and he was very interesting to listen to.As an aside,that new 8 wheeler is a somewhat peculiar motor to be operating “to-day” unless,of course,it was for a special job.Cheers bewick.

Didnt realise they were still operating,been going for some time now.