Anybody hear`d of J.G. Stamper?

Bewick:

fryske:
Taken in Birmingham the other day -

I was sorry to hear that Geoff has passed away,the industry has lost another gentleman for sure! I met him a few times in the 70’s when we both dealt with Scotts of Penrith,the local Atki distributor.Geoff always came over as being precise and well mannered and he was very interesting to listen to.As an aside,that new 8 wheeler is a somewhat peculiar motor to be operating “to-day” unless,of course,it was for a special job.Cheers bewick.

The driver told me it was bought for a specific job running down to London IIRC -

On the A9 Inverness Perth heading south last month.
Oily

They are still in business today, running around 20 trucks.

Am I right in thinking that Stampers of Penrith developed a twin rear stear tractor unit before Atkinson’s made any and it was Atkinson that approached Stampers to get some knowhow on the model ( .or was it just a dream) Cheers Alec.

Alec:
Am I right in thinking that Stampers of Penrith developed a twin rear stear tractor unit before Atkinson’s made any and it was Atkinson that approached Stampers to get some knowhow on the model ( .or was it just a dream) Cheers Alec.

Scroll up to my post of 17th April 2012…

Hi,yes theres a Stamper yard at Penrith,opposite Penrith Hospital,dont know if there still there!
Another Stamper, Mike Stamper ran 4 or 5 artics on Brick work,I know him well,he owned Junction 40 at penrith,now sold it!!
Mike Stamper married Cherry Brogden,Her father Wilf Brogden ran the Garage back in the 70s top of Scotland rd,Penrith,on the left hand side,open 24hrs then.Jim & Allan were the mechanics in the garage,very nice chaps…wen i drove for Harris & Miners of Devon,we used to fuel up there…many years ago there were digs opposite called Oliver"s View,stopped there a few times…there was another Stamper who was at Culgaith,& Rutherglen,Glasgow…Norman croad,Torquay…

my 1 lasting impression of stampers was when I was taking a lesson from ritchies for my hgv…sitting at the farmcross 5 way junction watching one of them crossing in front of me…the instructor said,that could be you by next week,just in time to see him drive in front of us with a can of tea in 1 hand,a sandwich in the other hand,and a big alsation dog trying to get on top of him and nab his piece…later on I got told that this was the same alsation that rolled onto its back as soon as someone showed it a pair of rubber gloves,would anyone know the reasn why,and be able to post it here without getting baned■■? :wink: …happy days all round there. :slight_smile:

6LX:
Hi,yes theres a Stamper yard at Penrith,opposite Penrith Hospital,dont know if there still there!
Another Stamper, Mike Stamper ran 4 or 5 artics on Brick work,I know him well,he owned Junction 40 at penrith,now sold it!!
Mike Stamper married Cherry Brogden,Her father Wilf Brogden ran the Garage back in the 70s top of Scotland rd,Penrith,on the left hand side,open 24hrs then.Jim & Allan were the mechanics in the garage,very nice chaps…wen i drove for Harris & Miners of Devon,we used to fuel up there…many years ago there were digs opposite called Oliver"s View,stopped there a few times…there was another Stamper who was at Culgaith,& Rutherglen,Glasgow…Norman croad,Torquay…

I think the Garage you mention at Penrith Norm would be Davidsons ?, they took care of the North side of Shap fell and J.B. Hudson of Sandside (later called Hudson Engineers) looked after the Southside of the A6 up to the summit of the Fell. Cheers Dennis.

6LX » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:32 am

This is now owned and run by A W Jenkinson of Penrith

I spotted one of J.G Stamper’s artics running empty negotiating Crown Square in Matlock this week.

Pete.

My dad worked with Stamper in Quay Rd, Rutherglen doing the night trunk down to Seaforth in Bootle. They changed name to Cardiff Brothers some time ago and moved out of Rutherglen to ■■■■■■■■■■■ when the M74 extension was being built. Cardiff Brothers gave up on haulage not long after moving to ■■■■■■■■■■■ and now concentrate on hiring out containers and HiAb work. They are now known as Carson Lifting Equipment.

Cracking fleet, they are still in business today