Anybody doing the new hours

Ok I ain’t working at the moment, but I’ve made my opinions clear on this relaxing drivers hours thing on other posts, ie it’s a ■■■■ take to tell us one day it’s totally unsafe and illegal to go over the already ridiculous hours and limits, but the next time it’s deemed safe fine and dandy…but that is just my own take on it.

It’s been a few weeks now since they extended the hours (love the way they came at it like they’re doing us a favour btw :unamused: )
So… is anybody using them?

Are you actually being told you have to, and/or being planned that way?.I would have thought that it was driver choice.

Has anybody dug their heels in and told them that the usual hours are quite adequate, so basically (but politely :smiley: ) told them to go and ■■■■ themselves.

Or has there been no change.

After talking to a couple of mates on different firms, they are just sticking to the ‘normal’ rules, but say that they have the usual clowns banging in max hours every week saying how much better off they are on their ‘good money’…same rate right through :unamused: , and a couple of lads who’ve used them a couple of times on a friday night just to get home.

So, I can’t be arsed to start a poll :smiley: , so what is it like at your firms.

(Stay safe those still working btw …clown or otherwise. :smiley:)

Royal Mail not changing anything - but some drivers like you said are banging in the hours to maximise earnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are still running to the rules (so to speak ) the extended hours are there to use if you want but we are not planned or told to use them . The feeling we have is that when this is all over if your cards are not 100 % you better have your explinations in triplicate with video back up or you will be giving VOSA / HMGovt and large contribution towards helping to pay for this all . We are also finding that with the roads so much quieter we are getting the work done a little faster therefore not needing extra hours .

I’m not working either, but I’ve a few friends who are. They’re pretty much using the new hours to suit themselves, earning a few extra quid or to get home at the end of the shift. None of them have been forced, told or even asked to run to these new hours.

Calling Mr Dozy, Calling Mr Dozy …
could you please come to the forum

peirre:
Calling Mr Dozy, Calling Mr Dozy …
could you please come to the forum

He’s still in his bunk, he didn’t get finished to 2 am. :smiley:

Not been asked to…

Been moved to a new contract whilst mine is shut…
New bosses seem to assume you’ll do reduced rest as needed. The first time I just told them straight im taking 11 hours.

Second time I did it as I’d just had a favour off them.

Old contract was Mon to Fri…new temp one is Tues - Sat. We werent told this.

I kicked off as I can’t work Sat as I have 2 young kids that I look after every weekend whilst my ex works.
Old managers tried to tell me we all have issues and that I was employed any 5 out of 7 … and if I refused to work would be unpaid

I explained patiently all the angles that they were screwing up on legally and told them either they change the days or each Saturday I dont turn in as im providing emergency childcare…

I got my way…3 days later govt clarified that such an issue would result in furlough.
Wish I’d held off for a few days

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

We’ve been instructed NOT to take advantage of them. Not sure that advantage is a word I’d use tbh.

Ditto.
We just use extra agency,and have hired in extra vehicles.
I’ve volunteered for the last two Saturdays,though.

Our company never told us about the ‘new’ hours, only found out through a FB link… :confused: :unamused:

Never needed to used them though. As I seem to be doing less hours anyway…

Because there’s less traffic on the roads?? I don’t know…?

Either way, if you are still out, I’d enjoy the peace and quiet - except for the lack of facilities, because when this ends, I think it’ll go the other way and we’ll be near enough grid locked everywhere worse than before…!

No change here, carry on as normal, It’s up to us if we wish to do the new fangled emergency hours,

So it’s a no from me, unless I want to get home…

I.ve used them a couple of times, its amazing how many miles you can do in 11hrs on an empty motorway

Just trucking on doing the hours i’ve done for ever…ish [emoji848][emoji848]

Never any pressure at our place to max your hours although some do insist on it week in week out even if it makes them look like ##### as it is significantly quieter at present.

I did however last week due to the quieter roads manage to do over 700kms in a day which is similar to what i used to do cruising along the french autoroutes.[emoji106][emoji106]

Me on the other hand is in the other camp where I’m

A doing the job as much as i can to suit me

B trying to help out as much as i can and thinking of the future when hopefully all this ■■■■ is over.

To be honest it’s a blessing to still be able to go to work but on the other hand it wouldn’t be all bad staying at home and not having to mix with the great unwashed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chaversdad:
I.ve used them a couple of times, its amazing how many miles you can do in 11hrs on an empty motorway

Slightly different perspective for an O/D though. In that respect I can’t fault you as it’s you personally who benefits, and not just by an extra tenner or so.

the maoster:

chaversdad:

Slightly different perspective for an O/D though. In that respect I can’t fault you as it’s you personally who benefits, and not just by an extra tenner or so.

Yep, owner driver different ball game, bang the hours in do as much as you can, can’t fault ya, been there myself.
It wouldn’t be so bad if these firms who are so keen to run their drivers even more ragged, paid them a bonus for it…some chance of that eh? :unamused:

chaversdad:

This ,I used them a couple of times too going above Inverness,very convenient on that run .

Did 1x 10.5 drive the next day after rules came in and nothing since.

polytrotter:
Just trucking on doing the hours i’ve done for ever…ish [emoji848][emoji848]

Never any pressure at our place to max your hours although some do insist on it week in week out even if it makes them look like ##### as it is significantly quieter at present.

I did however last week due to the quieter roads manage to do over 700kms in a day which is similar to what i used to do cruising along the french autoroutes.[emoji106][emoji106]

Me on the other hand is in the other camp where I’m

A doing the job as much as i can to suit me

B trying to help out as much as i can and thinking of the future when hopefully all this [zb] is over.

To be honest it’s a blessing to still be able to go to work but on the other hand it wouldn’t be all bad staying at home and not having to mix with the great unwashed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well said

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Got told to run to normal EU drivers hours. No justifiable reason to use the relaxed hours has been the instruction from upon high. And given what I managed to do on Wednesday, Howden - Guildford (in 4hrs 5 minutes!!!) - Aston - Portsmouth - Chichester and making it up to Tibshelf Services for a total of 820km in 10hrs driving and 14hr shift which is something we could never manage normally then I’m kind of inclined to agree with them.

Certainly by the time I’d parked up at 14hrs shift and 9hrs 57 minutes driving I really didn’t want to do another hour. It’s suprising how knackering it is sitting on the limiter on cruise control barely needing to even do a lane change for nearly 4.5hrs solid.

No , and home at 7 pm fri night , but
Still ended up doing 69 hrs , planners had me starting
5.30 fri and tipping 19.30 so if collection
Wasn’t ready at 4 pm ish I’d of needed new hours
To get back as only 13 left
I don’t hang about , always got on with job
But if your were type who dragged job
Out you could of turned my week into
Using new hours every day easily
There’s a lot worse off than us , daughter ( nurse )
Has suspected covid ( not well ) , mrs ( nhs ) is 7 days
A week , so just have to get on
With it until this covid is over
With