Any veiws on new law regarding head lights on all day

SUPERCUBE:
that would be the bike overtaking up the inside lane . :unamused: :unamused:

No, because that would be undertaking.

Bikes filter in queuing traffic though, no point sitting there letting your bike boil over when theres plenty of room to ride down between the lanes, as long as you do it slowly, headlights make you standout. If everyone’s got them on you won’t be seen.

Another stupid nanny-state idea. People now need 55w of bulbs in their faces 24/7 to stop them from driving into each other. FFS what is the world coming to? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Good idea imho,this has to reduse the accident rate.why is it law in so many other european countries.

Rob K:
Another stupid nanny-state idea. People now need 55w of bulbs in their faces 24/7 to stop them from driving into each other. FFS what is the world coming to? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Have to agree with Rob :confused: :confused:

If everyone has their headlights on then surely this becomes the norm. Yes it would be different for the first few weeks, but then it would revert back to the status quo.

Just another ‘insurance’ led idea.

Stan

renaultman:
Slightly off topic, but my big fear at the moment is these ‘automatic headlights’ folks expect them to come onautomatically in fog and spray, and they don’t. The number of newish cars riding round in atrocious weather conditions with no lights on. I caught the Missus doing it in thick fog the other week, guess what she said ‘I thought they came on automatically?’ Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :imp:

Indicators have been fitted to cars for years where the driver has the same thought process …

… I thought they came on automatically?

Stan

if its Insurance led then as soon as it comes in I expect them to bring my premiums down! :imp:

If you can’t see an artic in broad daylight because it’s headlights aren’t on, should you be out on your own in the first place? :unamused:

Life’s a Gas:
If you can’t see an artic in broad daylight because it’s headlights aren’t on, should you be out on your own in the first place? :unamused:

Quite.

Kiowan:

SUPERCUBE:
that would be the bike overtaking up the inside lane . :unamused: :unamused:

No, because that would be undertaking.

Bikes filter in queuing traffic though, no point sitting there letting your bike boil over when theres plenty of room to ride down between the lanes, as long as you do it slowly, headlights make you standout. If everyone’s got them on you won’t be seen

not many bikers seem to know the difference between filtering and undertaking, today on the A14, a slow tractor n/s lane, a few vehicles in o/s lane overtaking, 2 bikes passing the queue on the inside, to my mind that is undertaking, but maybe someone on here will tell me its filtering.

scania doctor:
Good idea imho,this has to reduce the accident rate.why is it law in so many other European countries.

It in fact is not the law in many European countries only the ones which have less daylight hours than us. Scandinavia for example, :unamused:

:sunglasses: So are the lads ( and Lasses ) with a 6 bar of xenon lights on top, 6 xenon lights on the front grill, 30 plus blue / yellow/ red ( pick appropriate colour ) marker lights around the front of the cab, 30 plus of the same, down either side of the unit, a ropelight around the windscreen and a couple of blue neons on the dash, along with their headlights and front fogs on …

just erring on the safety side ■■ :open_mouth:

‘‘WHAT ‘NEW’ LAW ?’’

Smee:

scania doctor:
Good idea imho,this has to reduce the accident rate.why is it law in so many other European countries.

It in fact is not the law in many European countries only the ones which have less daylight hours than us. Scandinavia for example, :unamused:

It’s law in Hungary

Bad idea.

It increases fuel consumption (not by much, but across the millions of vehicles on the road, it makes a difference).

More importantly, it makes the cars, buses and trucks more visible at the expense of making the most vulnerable road users (motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians) /less/ visible.

sk8ntruckerNZ:
Im a biker so I see your point, but its gotta be good thing. My DAF lights come on when the handbrake comes off
There was a police report on the news over here (NZ) warning people not to flash cars with no lights on at night, :open_mouth: apparently its a new gang initaition if you flash them alot they turn around and use your car as demolition derby practice

We were advised by Met in london about that when makeing collections at night in london dont flash any cars without lights on,as you said its a gang thing ,they would spin round and empty a couple of rounds into The trailer .Thats what we were told i never seen it happen though!

Obviously the cops had been watching ‘Urban Legend’ that night and decided to wind you up :laughing:

SUPERCUBE, yes that is not a particularly shining example of safe riding, I see the odd bike undertaking yes and even had one this morning think it was a good idea to ride up the inside of me while turning left at a roundabout…obviously had a deathwish. However filtering in queuing traffic is acceptable by law, as technically you can undertake in queing traffic which is what filtering could be described as.

We have it here in Finland and it’s a good thing.

A grey car on a grey day becomes a lot more visible. Oddly enough it also helps enormously in the summer, even though it only gets dark-ish where I live for a few hours, and you can read a newspaper outside at midnght…

The contrast (literally!) is very noticable to me when I visit the UK. I can’t believe it’s not done there - such a simple thing and I’m sure it would improve safety significantly.

Z

arriva buses have been doing this for years, they said it cut the accidents down,by 59%.

if all are putting them on,then thers no standing out by anyone,so who gains?.

BIG MAC:
arriva buses have been doing this for years, they said it cut the accidents down,by 59%.

if all are putting them on,then thers no standing out by anyone,so who gains?.

The thing is that everyone is standing out. Believe me, it works :wink:

All our buses drive round with their headlights on it has reduced accidents and insurance costs but on the other hand any drivers not using headlights can be disciplined