Any veiws on new law regarding head lights on all day

bad idea our rods are to congested we will not see the wood for trees

I usually have my headlights on all the time anyway, it’s force of habit now.

Slightly off topic, but my big fear at the moment is these ‘automatic headlights’ folks expect them to come onautomatically in fog and spray, and they don’t. The number of newish cars riding round in atrocious weather conditions with no lights on. I caught the Missus doing it in thick fog the other week, guess what she said ‘I thought they came on automatically?’ Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :imp:

DRIVEING with lights on is a plus point
as has been proven by all those other
countries that have had this law in place
for many many years ,

I too fear the numpties that expect the car to do everything for them.

I tend to turn on dipped beam at the slightest hint of rain / snow / fog and so on. At least then if someone hits you you were doing everything possible to be visible.

When might this law be coming in?

We have it in Denmark headlights on all the time and I have to say I am amazed at the people who drive around in the UK around dawn and dusk with no lights on or parking lights only usually followed by someone with headlights and fog lights on. I always drive with my headlights on, more force of habit probably, but I feel safer an Englishman might noticed me before he drives into me.

I reckon most folk have there own ideas when its time to light up, but thats not much help if there ideas are not the same as everyone else’s all gets a bit mushy in the morning or at night, if its law then everyone is lit whatever the time and weather conditions, the countries I have respect for do it and it can’t harm the British motoring public as they seem to be a bit average in the driving scheme of things, every little helps as a Polish supermarket is always telling me.

Problem is all the morons who can’t be arsed to change a headlight bulb when it blows, number of cars with only one headlight. And then the other set of morons who think sidelights are just as good as headlights so drive around with them when its pea soup or virtually pitch black. Only downside I see for me personally is it’ll have a negative effect on motorcycle visibility, as if you see a headlight during the day in the mirrors your usually expect a motorcycle to come by, important for filtering bikes when queuing etc. If everyone has them on all the time they’ll get ignored and so it’s going to make them less visible once again.

Im a biker so I see your point, but its gotta be good thing. My DAF lights come on when the handbrake comes off
There was a police report on the news over here (NZ) warning people not to flash cars with no lights on at night, :open_mouth: apparently its a new gang initaition if you flash them alot they turn around and use your car as demolition derby practice

sk8ntruckerNZ:
There was a police report on the news over here (NZ) warning people not to flash cars with no lights on at night, :open_mouth: apparently its a new gang initaition if you flash them alot they turn around and use your car as demolition derby practice

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
Must have been a slack news day that day. That is one of the older, and better known, urban myths. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

good idea
better to say when sun is so many degrees above the horizon turn them off

The lights on my motorbike are wire permanently on
there are + & - points to having them on in daylight, but the biggest minus point IMO is having them on in the following senario;

your driving down the road on a bright sunny day with the sun in your face, theres another vehicle coming the other way with their lights on, however with them having the sun on their backs, and having their lights on, it CAN create an effect where they litterally merge into the brighness of the sunshine, due to the brightness of their headlights and you cannot see them. Imagine finding yourself in that situation knowing your about to make a right turn ahead

I remember reading somewhere, a while ago that one of the countries that made daylight use of headlights compulsory found that there was a significant reduction in accidents for a time then the rate returned to the “pre-lights” level. It may have been Sweden and I may be talking complete ■■■■■■■■, but I’m sure I’m right :smiley:

I use headlights as soon as the daylight starts to fade or in any poor visibility. I use fog lights only when visibility is less that 100m (about once a year) although in the Actros you have to have the front fogs on for the rears to work - stupid :angry:

I dont have a problem with using headlights during the day, no bad thing IMHO. What really ■■■■■■ me off is [zb] idiots driving around with fog lights on when visibility is good, why do they do it :imp:

i should [zb] it cause you tryed to get around the censor with $$, jb :wink:

Cant see the sense in having headlights on in the blazing sunshine myself.
As for automatic headlights i agree they are a bad idea, same with adjustable headlights, why do people insist on tilting them up as high as they can go :imp:

brit pete:
DRIVEING with lights on is a plus point
as has been proven by all those other
countries that have had this law in place
for many many years ,

Cars over here have had to have daytime running lights for a few years now.They come on automatically when the handbreak is released.There is no rule for trucks though most seem to run with them on.We’re also required to have all lights on if windscreen wipers are on.Trucks and cars.

If alvehicles had their lights on all day then would it mask the lights from motorbikes which, at the moment, stand out and allow them to be more noticable :question: :question:

ROG:
If alvehicles had their lights on all day then would it mask the lights from motorbikes which, at the moment, stand out and allow them to be more noticable :question: :question:

ill 2nd that

that would be the bike overtaking up the inside lane . :unamused: :unamused:

I usually drive with headlights on during the day…in the car and the truck.

I think it’s safer. My opinion.

I northern European countries fair enough but for us ABSURD:imp: