Any Tesco Fresh Drivers?

Any Tesco Fresh drivers on here?

Just wondering if the stores in your ‘patch’ are sending waste back on your trucks now and what you think about it?

TIA

Phil

I can’t say for sure as I only work on grocery but as far as I’m aware any sort of food waste is frozen before being returned for disposal.

Must be joking, can’t move in most yards because of RSU :unamused:

lankyphil:
Any Tesco Fresh drivers on here?

Just wondering if the stores in your ‘patch’ are sending waste back on your trucks now and what you think about it?

TIA

Phil

Yes
No issues with doing its in plastic bags in 4 sided cages.

COOP do it too, no real problems as long as in 4 sided cage. It does stink in the summer and we did have a few wasp problems, both at stores and in the lorry( they tend to get stuck in and around the bags)
I tried to get them in the freezer isle then drop the door on them, just about solved the smell for a while but not the wasps! lol

As said not a problem if done in the correct way.

In NI waste for RSU is only sent back when trailer is empty, it is never put on alongside full cages or even seperated by the bulkhead doors. :wink:
That is the way I want it to stay or it will be a balls to move full cages about the trailer to get the RSU waste onboard. :neutral_face:

I’ve heard about it being trialed, a plastic liner is placed inside the cage to prevent leaks, sounds a bit iffy with the trailer be used after stuff could have leaked out.

We all know what the waste compactor smells like!

Spar, Do it to, its a pain in the rear, they only use two sided cages and silly straps, so the food falls all over the place, yet another cost cutting exercise ill thought out, takes up extra space on the wagon and you still have more drops to do, and yet more food waste to pick up, so goes on and on all day.

its ■■■■■■■ minging, the worst bit is , theres all bin slime leaking out the bags , onto the floor, tipped at rsu, and not washed out, then into the dc, and reloaded, i thought about shopping at tesco, as it keeps my job going, but this is just rank , truly disgusting

Things have changed a bit, when i worked for Tesco everything went down the compactor, food, waste, shop fittings the lot. Smelt ripe outside in the summer

holliefabbabe:
its [zb] minging, the worst bit is , theres all bin slime leaking out the bags , onto the floor, tipped at rsu, and not washed out, then into the dc, and reloaded, i thought about shopping at tesco, as it keeps my job going, but this is just rank , truly disgusting

Should of refused to load it on the trailer till bagged properly in that state.

karl67:

holliefabbabe:
its [zb] minging, the worst bit is , theres all bin slime leaking out the bags , onto the floor, tipped at rsu, and not washed out, then into the dc, and reloaded, i thought about shopping at tesco, as it keeps my job going, but this is just rank , truly disgusting

Am I wrong in thinking food waste such as meat should be frozen before collecting?? I’m sure we were told that on the induction, might be wrong. Got another course on the 25th of this month, might ask then.

selby newcomer:

karl67:

holliefabbabe:

Am I wrong in thinking food waste such as meat should be frozen before collecting?? I’m sure we were told that on the induction, might be wrong. Got another course on the 25th of this month, might ask then.

should be frozen packed in blue bags in a green tray then placed in a 4 sider.
And should only be loaded in a empty trailer, not a trailer with another stores goods still on.

karl67:

selby newcomer:

karl67:

holliefabbabe:

should be frozen packed in blue bags in a green tray then placed in a 4 sider.
And should only be loaded in a empty trailer, not a trailer with another stores goods still on.

Cheers, glad we don’t have to deal with any of that malarkey on the grocery side, just collect empty cages, HV boxes and pallets…nice n easy :sunglasses:

Simple really, if store doesn’t present the rubbish cages to you properly ie. the bags are leaking, wasps/flies all over it you refuse to take it. Take a picture if needs be, you should be backed up especially if you have other drops still on the wagon.

It’s because store staff use the current compactors/skips as an easy way of getting shot of stuff, I did a few years working in a Tesco store and saw a frightening amount of OK stock disappear down the compactor shoot.

What we carry from stores is cat 3 animal by product.
stores do try it on when trying to load it on your trailer when still carrying another stores goods, But it is illegal to mix the two on same trailer.

So up till recently, we have backloaded cardboard and plastic in cages, as well as meat waste (unsold meat basically) frozen in trays, and bakery waste, bagged in pink piggy-edible bags.

The stores no longer have compactors and bins. They backload all waste in bags that go into a 4 sided cage with a liner on.

Suffice to say, we’re not very happy doing it.

A - they don’t have waste transfer license - just Hgot it now though after a visit from Environmental ealth
B - hazardous to health
C - Correct PPE needs to be issued. Gloves and trousers
D - the trailer will be back on service before being washed so its hazardous to the public
E - Cages used to carry rubbish aren’t being washed.

the start of last week they were denying we were colection rubish, even though we were, its just wrank , sooner buy at morrisons now

lankyphil:
D - the trailer will be back on service before being washed so its hazardous to the public
E - Cages used to carry rubbish aren’t being washed.

These are the main faults with the system for me.

Aldi send their waste back in lined pallecon-type containers (plastic boxes you can pick up with a pump truck basically), these are used exclusively for waste and there is no danger of leakages on the wagon floor. A good system. The four sided cages Tesco use however, unlike the 2 sides ones, are used almost exclusively for transporting fresh food and are usually put straight back into circulation after being emptied of rubbish. As a consumer, it doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence.

The tabloids would love it to be honest, if I was a Tesco fresh driver i’d be taking pictures and getting in touch with some editors… ££££££