Any of the HATOs from here?

Regular down near luton see them parked at junction 10 on m1 fly over and just wondered what the title says if its any of them off here?

Hi, that’s one of our ‘strategic park up points’ as they want us to cut down on mileage. It is in the middle of our patrol route two which covers J8 - J12. And now, we look for live lane incidents J10-10A now roadworks are in and no hard shoulder.

Waste of time and money paid too many washers !!! For very little in return ! Allways sleeping in little lay bys up and down the motorway network. Do not need top range 4x4 ,s etc could use a skoda estate or something similar. Another waste of money and resource’s . :wink:

If the po-lice can have flashy cars like X5s, M3s, A4s etc then why can’t the HATOs?:shock:

They do a thankless job. when they drove for hole shift they did help keep things moving but now just sit around to much, but it’s not there fault as only doing what told to.

I think they do a good job. It is right that they don’t do as much driving as they used to.

If your missus was broken down on the hard shoulder with a baby in the car, would you not want a big 4x4 with flashing lights & 2 resplendently fluorescent peeps to help keep them safe?

Silver_Surfer:
I think they do a good job. It is right that they don’t do as much driving as they used to.

If your missus was broken down on the hard shoulder with a baby in the car, would you not want a big 4x4 with flashing lights & 2 resplendently fluorescent peeps to help keep them safe?

+1

We must have thousands of old telephone boxes, they could be used instead of the expensive 4x4 and estate cars.

Wale11.jpg

Its been a long time since I had seen the Automobile Association’s black and yellow call boxes were once a common sight on the UK’s major roads, with a network of over 1,000 boxes at one time.
The first AA ‘sentry box’ was built in 1911, and initially the boxes provided a base for a patrol-man between emergency calls.

In later years, the boxes (later known as ‘call boxes’) provided a means for AA members to seek assistance, and to shelter from weather while waiting for that assistance. The boxes were lit by oil lamps by night, and had maps, a fire extinguisher and a telephone available for members’ use. Members were issued with a key that was standard for all AA boxes.

Anyone else think this idea may have legs? Especially if these redundant boxes are placed at strategic points around the network.

Silver_Surfer:

+1

I know I would if my wife car broke down with little man in it Could mean difference between Tony tired tramper wondering onto the h/s or staying on the road!

But why have expensive RR wouldn’t a transit with crew cab be just as good and cheaper or is it an IMAGE thing that they want to be seen as up there with plod :question:

Nick they do think they’re plod.
Either that or they can’t read the signs that say ‘police patrol vehicles only’

m1cks:

M1cks, this was pointed out shortly after HATO arrived, so the changed the signs to ‘Authorised Vehicles Only’

Traffic Rat:

m1cks:

M1cks, this was pointed out shortly after HATO arrived, so the changed the signs to ‘Authorised Vehicles Only’

So where do they stand when a sign hasn’t yet been changed. If it’s recognised they can stop there (by changing current signs)

Also, what’s the dynamic like between you and them?

m1cks:

So where do they stand when a sign hasn’t yet been changed. If it’s recognised they can stop there (by changing current signs)

Also, what’s the dynamic like between you and them?
[/quote]
Not going to worry about odd sign.

On road staff, get on well when at jobs, we know what is generally required/will be done by each other.

Get frustrated to see them ‘hiding’ just off the network, not visible unless you go down a country lane to the bridge over motorway and they are at the edge of it and then find a broken down that they haven’t been to in an hour or more.

Sadly, as others point out, this is the policy imposed on the On road staff by higher managers, who follow policy, dictators from Whitehall, HMG, DFT etc.

nick2008:
But why have expensive RR wouldn’t a transit with crew cab be just as good and cheaper or is it an IMAGE thing that they want to be seen as up there with plod :question:

You haven’t seen what may be coming, all options are under consideration :wink:

And for the post about Skodas they tried using a Grandis as a team manager car once and chocolate teapot springs to mind, Better to have a vehicle that is usable than parked up rusting

Their job profile is now mainly ‘live’ lane only, and the ‘idiots’ should take some personal responsibility in having recovery arrangements in place or not run out of fuel etc

They can’t change wheels etc for the mum and kid do much due to the litigious society we now live in mixed with a dose of H&S.
I’ve had my arse kicked and been disciplined before for that after being reported by an angry passing recovery contractor after he lost a contact.

A Hato vehicle parked behind anything could lead to a false sense of security as that will just be shunted into the car it is supposed to be protecting by 40 tonne of artic.

I’m sure I’ve seen a Vito crew can before. Enough seats, big enough to have a road presence and enough of a boot to carry all the kit they need.

Traffic Rat:
Get frustrated to see them ‘hiding’ just off the network, not visible unless you go down a country lane to the bridge over motorway and they are at the edge of it and then find a broken down that they haven’t been to in an hour or more.

Sadly, as others point out, this is the policy imposed on the On road staff by higher managers, who follow policy, dictators from Whitehall, HMG, DFT etc.

I’ve just spent 3 days out and about with some old colleagues, never even got past a couple of junctions over the time as they are now pretty much response only, so large parts of the network are left uncovered,
I did hear once after they started this policy a car was abandoned on the HS for 2 days before being passed, did it really matter though it was fine with no issues.

m1cks:
I’m sure I’ve seen a Vito crew can before. Enough seats, big enough to have a road presence and enough of a boot to carry all the kit they need.

They have been trialled :wink:

speedyguy:
did it really matter though it was fine with no issues.

Well in that case lets just all take our breaks on the H/S from now on like all the EE drivers seem to do.
I’m surprised at this attitude considering your job. Dangers of the H/S are something that’s always mentioned.

m1cks:

speedyguy:
did it really matter though it was fine with no issues.

Well in that case lets just all take our breaks on the H/S from now on like all the EE drivers seem to do.
I’m surprised at this attitude considering your job. Dangers of the H/S are something that’s always mentioned.

I was just putting the question out there, you wouldn’t catch me on a HS if I could help it for love nor money after seeing the ‘drifting’ and other ‘random’ things that have happened :open_mouth:

I’ve always tried to limp them, move them over etc before they have their back doors bashed in.

You’ll know there is a massive difference between motorways and traffic flows etc I think any trucker who parks on the HS must be a lot of sandwiches short of a picnic.

I’ve seen trucks on the HS where an errant truck goes knocking through the cab door rather than the back door.