Any good book ideas to while away the time when not kipping?

Alright boss hogs. Roughyed talking about reading his book on t’ other thread flicked this up as an idea.

Share a good book recommendation.

Bo selecta

1905 . Trotsky

The man was …

Remarkable

Louis l amour westerns,all very good reads,if you like westerns that is.

James the cat:
Alright boss hogs. Roughyed talking about reading his book on t’ other thread flicked this up as an idea.

Share a good book recommendation.

Bo selecta

I’ve two suggestions:

1). I’ve just read The Book Thief - can’t remember the author as I’ve just passed it on to a sailing barge captain! Brilliant read, set in WW2. As a post-war child I’m sick of WW2 books, but this one’s different and brings a fresh look at the war. Highly recommended.

2). Not so long ago, before in-cab tellies and flippin’ I-phones, drivers used to actually talk to each other at truck stops and share a can of beer or two. They also shared books. Certainly on international work, we regularly swapped books with each other. Even the seamens’ missions in the ports had libraries where you could exchange books with no charge. Some of the best books I’ve ever read were given to me by lorry drivers on the TIR trail.

Hope that helps. Good luck! Robert (retired)

Cheers Robert. I’ve got the book thief somewhere, must admit never tried it. Must give it a pop.

Cant see the point of fiction.

Stick to facts : science , history and biographies .

Then you may not remain a dumb trucker forever

■■■■■■■… there’s some interesting articles in there.

boredwivdrivin:
Cant see the point of fiction.

Stick to facts : science , history and biographies .

Then you may not remain a dumb trucker forever

Conflicting, given your online persona is a work of fiction.

Conflicting ■■

Perhaps you mean ‘paradox’

Try kiddies GCSE coursebooks .

They are dead cheap …

…and you may learn not to sound such an idiot .

This wont happen with you reading fiction .

Hope this is helpful .

boredwivdrivin:
Conflicting ■■

Perhaps you mean ‘paradox’

Try kiddies GCSE coursebooks .

They are dead cheap …

…and you may learn not to sound such an idiot .

This wont happen with you reading fiction .

Hope this is helpful .

Conflicting: incompatible, at variance and open to source challenge due irregularities of asscertained source context.

No, I mean conflicting.

Needle.Nerve.

I like a decent autobiography or a book of ones ramblings or anecdotal life experiences.

What about guy Martin bio,

Or could read, don’t tell mum I work on the oil rigs, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse- he’s got four or five out. All good

Peter May wrote a trilogy thriller one of the was the black house. Very good trilogy. Good ole Jack reacher always entertaining and plenty to read.
Angel Marston. DI Kim Stone two good books.
Nelson Mandela life story will keep you occupied for many an hour and was fascinating.
Rumpole of the Bailey omnibus on kindle. Loads of short stories and raise a smile of days gone past

Peter James. Roy Grace series of police thrillers. Absolutely brilliant. Should be a tv series

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, long book, hunt for rather too competent terrorist, one of the best book i’ve read in recent years, watch out for this author.

Jack Reacher series of books by Lee Child, ignore the second rate film of the same name.

Bernard Cornwells Sharpe series were excellent.

Tom Sharpe’s Wilt (original excellent story set to film, dreadful film) trilogy for some excellent black comedy, The Wilt Alternative is hilarious and the best one IMO, any Tom Sharpe book is a black comedy though i dislike his output from his days in South Africa…Blott on the Landscape very amusing and if you can find one cheap buy the BBC serialised version of the same story (from the days when the Beeb made quality programs and wasn’t the propaganda dept of the current political class/agenda), featuring a young David Suchet and Geraldine James on top form.

Le Carre always worth a read, you need to concentrate as the plots are clever, but the dialogues in such as The Constant Gardener a joy.

For occult/horror i enjoy Dean Koontz, vast number of books my favourites of which are From The Corner Of His Eye and the Odd Thomas series.

Any Andy McNab or Chris Ryan books both fiction and non fiction thrillers. Mr Nice the autobiography of Howard Marks who was the biggest importer of cannabis into this country in the past. He was educated at Cambridge University, had connections with the IRA, Mafia, Columbian drug cartels and had about 40 different alias to avoid getting caught.
A fascinating read, he also has 2 other books out one about his life after drug running and trying to find out about his previous family history from years before he was born where he travelled the world to see places and things associated to his family and the other book is about Ibiza and his time selling drugs and the hedonism he got into whilst there.
He once did a talk at Barnsley Civic and was fantastic viewing. You wouldn’t think he was one of the worlds most wanted drug barons in the past and the stories he had to tell ment you didn’t get bored.

Juddian:
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, long book, hunt for rather too competent terrorist, one of the best book i’ve read in recent years, watch out for this author.

i was going to suggest that one, but you got there first! Terry Hayes used to be a film script writer and MGM have acquired the rights to make it into a film.

I only tend to read auto biographies but I’d recomend ■■■■■ (from guns n roses), very interesting read and what seems like a really honest account of all the highs and lows of suddenly being the biggest band in the world.

The other is recomend is White Line Fever, Lemmy from Motörheads book. What a life that guys had. Working as a roadie for Hendrix, being a member of hawkwind during their most successful years and then forming one of the most important rock bands of all time. He moved to America years ago but he’s still got a very British sense of humor about him. Again, a very honest account of a once in a million lifestyle. Well worth it.

albion:

Juddian:

i was going to suggest that one, but you got there first! Terry Hayes used to be a film script writer and MGM have acquired the rights to make it into a film.

Hope they do a good job of it, i’ll keep me eyes open round the charity shops for any more from him.

That was the first book from him, though there’s one in the pipeline.

he’s doing the screenplay for I am Pilgrim, so there’s half a chance. As long as they don’t get Tom Cruise to play the lead :unamused:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Any Andy McNab or Chris Ryan books both fiction and non fiction thrillers. Mr Nice the autobiography of Howard Marks who was the biggest importer of cannabis into this country in the past. He was educated at Cambridge University, had connections with the IRA, Mafia, Columbian drug cartels and had about 40 different alias to avoid getting caught.
A fascinating read, he also has 2 other books out one about his life after drug running and trying to find out about his previous family history from years before he was born where he travelled the world to see places and things associated to his family and the other book is about Ibiza and his time selling drugs and the hedonism he got into whilst there.
He once did a talk at Barnsley Civic and was fantastic viewing. You wouldn’t think he was one of the worlds most wanted drug barons in the past and the stories he had to tell ment you didn’t get bored.

Read Mr Nice, found it to be a good read, that’s some life he’s had, the film of his life didn’t do it justice I think. Read the other day he is suffering with cancer at the moment.
Apparently you can read both fiction & non fiction & still be quite clever, the trick is to know the difference.