Any good book ideas to while away the time when not kipping?

If you like fiction, the viking sagas ( 8 books ) by bernard cornwell are great reading , in fact the first one is on tv tomorrow . for non fiction try Sailing close to the wind by dennis ( the beast of bolsover ) skinner . a fascinating insight into the dirty politics of the 70s and 80s , and still happening today .

Mr Nice is autobiog , not fiction and well worth a read . i had pleasure of meeting him in 'Dam when he was promoting his seed business . Had issues with hermies at first , but thats a long story .

rigsby:
If you like fiction, the viking sagas ( 8 books ) by bernard cornwell are great reading , in fact the first one is on tv tomorrow . for non fiction try Sailing close to the wind by dennis ( the beast of bolsover ) skinner . a fascinating insight into the dirty politics of the 70s and 80s , and still happening today .

Thanks for that, he’s one of the only people in the commons i have any respect for (now Benn’s gone), a genuine working man who made good and never forgot his roots nor why he’s been elected all these years.

I’ll find that book, much obliged to me learned friend.

BillyHunt:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Any Andy McNab or Chris Ryan books both fiction and non fiction thrillers. Mr Nice the autobiography of Howard Marks who was the biggest importer of cannabis into this country in the past. He was educated at Cambridge University, had connections with the IRA, Mafia, Columbian drug cartels and had about 40 different alias to avoid getting caught.
A fascinating read, he also has 2 other books out one about his life after drug running and trying to find out about his previous family history from years before he was born where he travelled the world to see places and things associated to his family and the other book is about Ibiza and his time selling drugs and the hedonism he got into whilst there.
He once did a talk at Barnsley Civic and was fantastic viewing. You wouldn’t think he was one of the worlds most wanted drug barons in the past and the stories he had to tell ment you didn’t get bored.

Read Mr Nice, found it to be a good read, that’s some life he’s had, the film of his life didn’t do it justice I think. Read the other day he is suffering with cancer at the moment.
Apparently you can read both fiction & non fiction & still be quite clever, the trick is to know the difference.

Yes he is suffering from cancer. Is it any wonder the amount of weed he smoked :open_mouth: He even skinned up about 3 spliffs whilst doing his show at the Barnsley Civic this when the smoking ban was on, he didn’t give 2 ■■■■■ :laughing: I think the first 3 rows of people where stoned with him :laughing:
He was asking if he could get hold of any Charlie as he wanted a blow out after his show and a couple of my mates actually sorted out 4 bags, met him after the show and went into his room backstage for a bit of a chat and after party :wink: Said he was a very present chap which he came across as on stage.

Just after reading Mr Nice, non fiction, I read a jack reacher novel by lee child, fiction, bit of escapism you know, and I didn’t turn into a moron overnight. Who’d a thunk.

Any of the Rebus stories by Ian Rankin always a good read

In the autobiog section, loved reading Robin Knox Johnstone’s Force of Nature. The first man to sail single handed round the world. One of his competitors appeared to go mad and commit suicide during the race, when he got his winnings, he sent them to the guys widow and kids - no small amount at the time.

Clarissa Dixon Wright’s autobiog is a cracking read as well - Enlgand’s youngest barrister when she passed her exams, alcoholic, brilliant chef, fascinating read of having it all, losing everything and getting back up.

albion:
In the autobiog section, loved reading Robin Knox Johnstone’s Force of Nature. The first man to sail single handed round the world. One of his competitors appeared to go mad and commit suicide during the race, when he got his winnings, he sent them to the guys widow and kids - no small amount at the time.

Clarissa Dixon Wright’s autobiog is a cracking read as well - Enlgand’s youngest barrister when she passed her exams, alcoholic, brilliant chef, fascinating read of having it all, losing everything and getting back up.

Met the old bag in a previous life. I used to do food fairs, and despite having seen her on TV, I had no idea she was an ex-alcoholic, so I gave her one of our products to try, which was jammed full of booze.

Tear a strip off me. Understatement of the decade, the entire marquee ground to a halt while she bollocked me up hill and down dale.

She seemed to think she looked very clever for doing it, but she did my stand a massive favour because everyone anywhere near came over to comment on her outburst, while she sat there on her Jack Jones with a pile of unsigned books.

I read Clarksons books now and again, not too long winded for when you fancy a laugh, but don’t want to get too deep into something on a break.

I loved Spike Milligans biography it was seven separate books but each had me laughing more than the previous one, you could try Mo Hayder books they are always a good read.

Juddian:

rigsby:

Thanks for that, he’s one of the only people in the commons i have any respect for (now Benn’s gone), a genuine working man who made good and never forgot his roots nor why he’s been elected all these years.

if you have a kindle it’s on amazon , not cheap but worth every penny . i think you can also get it in paper form from amazon

I have a kindle, it’s a lot easier than lugging books. Nowadays into historical fiction have read just about everything by Bernard Cornwall, Tim Severin, CJ Sansom, Conn Igguldon are good as well

Currently on book 27 :open_mouth: of the Templar Mysteries by Michael Jecks, set in Devon during the reign of Edward II of England, very well researched.

midlifetrucker:
Peter James. Roy Grace series of police thrillers. Absolutely brilliant. Should be a tv series

+1
also stephen leather, spider shepherd books.

Wilbur Smith takes some beating IMO…read all his books as a spotty teenager many moons ago.
Now that I’ve totally forgotten all the storylines,I can start again. :smiley:
Expensive though,£5.99 for Kindle downloads,I can read one in 2/3 days :unamused:

A bit different from the books but I get the Commando comics sent through the post every 2 week. Get 8 a month and love reading the short action adventures you get in them based on World Wars 1 and 2 and some before and after.
Used to love getting them when I was a kid.

Baggie:
Now that I’ve totally forgotten all the storylines,I can start again. :smiley:

Aye, old age has its benefits :unamused:

WWII world war novels, Sven Hassel was a good read as a spotty yoof

rigsby:

Juddian:

rigsby:

if you have a kindle it’s on amazon , not cheap but worth every penny . i think you can also get it in paper form from amazon

Dennis’ tome ordered from Amazon in paperback, many thanks.

The Twilight Saga or if you’re feeling ■■■■■ and want some horribly written trash then try 50 Shades of Grey.

Radar19:
The Twilight Saga or if you’re feeling ■■■■■ and want some horribly written trash then try 50 Shades of Grey.

I preferred Andy Maclean’s ‘Fifty Shades of Tarmac’! Robert

Started reading the series in the link, got them all on a Kindle, good read.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bolitho_novels