Any experience of Pertemps?

So…the place that I work at,via agency,has recently changed their agency policy…as in there are now 4 agencies in there. The agency that I work for was the ‘primary’ ,but now it seems that Pertemps is,so I was wondering if any of you have any experience of what Pertemps driving is like to work with ■■
It would be the Sheffield branch that I’d be dealing with…
The general idea is that I would sign up with Pertemps as a second agency,as a way to get more work at the same place that I work from now. Since the change,the amount of work from ‘my’ agency,seems to have tailed off somewhat,so I’m looking to recover the situation…
As a side question…what would the tax position be,given that I’d now be ‘employed’ by two separate companies ■■
Any help appreciated… :slight_smile:

Only had bad dealings. Went there as a spotty 18 year old oik because I wanted a part time job while at uni. Thought my chances would go up because the manager at that branch is my missus’s first cousin (but older by a decade or so). Nothing. The girl who spoke to us was very nice but didn’t hear anything…

Went again when I’d got my driving licence, looking for van work (full-time). Was told rather snottily I needed 2 years experience. Didn’t bother going back after that.

But your mileage may vary!

Thanks for that…You do tend to find that this ‘experience’ thing rears its ugly head,when you’re young/inexperienced… How do you get ‘experience’ if nobody gives you a chance,eh ■■
Anyhow, I’ve been working at the same place for 12 yrs +,so I think I know what I’m doing by now…lol.

I signed on with them between jobs, amid promises of endless work leading to a full time job at the main client :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The only calls i received were the odd one at unearthly hours of the night when their regulars either hadn’t turned up or didn’t want the scraps on offer, never did work a shift for them and shorty after i told them not to bother me any more but trying to get rid of them is like getting rid of ticks crabs others std’s chuggers or sky television, so my suggestion is to sign on with anyone but them.
As i recall the only way i got rid of them was to ring them at unearthly hours until they got ■■■■■■ off enough for someone to delete my number.

Oh I hear you,Juddian…but I’m after something more specific…as in just trying to recover some of ‘my’ work… I’m pretty sure that their drivers are the cause of the slowdown. Plus the company has put a big banner up on the fence where you enter the car park,‘wanting drivers’…

htmldude:
Only had bad dealings. Went there as a spotty 18 year old oik because I wanted a part time job while at uni. Thought my chances would go up because the manager at that branch is my missus’s first cousin (but older by a decade or so). Nothing. The girl who spoke to us was very nice but didn’t hear anything…

Went again when I’d got my driving licence, looking for van work (full-time). Was told rather snottily I needed 2 years experience. Didn’t bother going back after that.

But your mileage may vary!

With agencies you just have to keep shopping until you get the answer you want. I’ve heard some real corkers from them over the years, but there’s always someone desperate to get bums on seats.

I can only echo what everyone has said, despite signing up with them and being promised the earth, nothing ever materialised

When I signed up there, I was told "You should get plenty of work, because of your stated wishes that you like late starts & weekend work - especially friday nights, sundays, and bank holidays.

After signing up in Summer 2011, I only ever got a single call from them at 17:20 to cover a shift 90 mins away from where I live because their regular had dropped it at the last minute. I said I could “not be there in the 40 minutes notice they were giving me right now” - and I never heard from them again. :frowning:

When treating their main assets like dirt from the start is “encultured policy” - what hope does anyone have who doesn’t live across the road from their main client?

Have to disagree signed up 3 weeks ago and I have been non-stop, good people to deal with and will accommodate where possible,

Last minute cancellations are a good one on agency. Been glad once. Was out with some friends on a Thursday night (regular student thing) thinking “For frigs sake got to do this awful job tomorrow at 6 am”. Got a text “Sorry mate they cancelled you.”

Never been so happy to not earn money. Started a dead easy regular job the next Monday.

As with all agencies it will be workload/area dependant on the scale of work you get from them,they have to have more staff on their books than current work to offer a service to the customer should they ring in looking to cover a run ect this is why all agencies want you to get signed up even if they have no work(but they won’t tell you that bit).

xichrisxi:
As with all agencies it will be workload/area dependant on the scale of work you get from them,they have to have more staff on their books than current work to offer a service to the customer should they ring in looking to cover a run etc this is why all agencies want you to get signed up even if they have no work(but they won’t tell you that bit).

I agree,but when doing agency work you have to be flexible and build your credibility

I worked for pertemps before I got my HGV it was on van driving and HGV drivers mate type roles, took a while to get going but once I proved my worth and that I was good at what I was doing they were constantly throwing work my way and I generally got the pick of what to do, that was out of their Exeter office btw. Ryan

Winseer:
When treating their main assets like dirt from the start is “encultured policy”

Yet to find an agency that doesn’t. I threatened my last agency with the Inspectorate as they were trying to skim me at the same time as skimming the client. They didn’t like that :laughing:

The worst drivers’ mates I worked with on the flour came from Pertemps. Some didn’t turn up, some spoke virtually no English, some expected to be picked up and dropped off and some were a bit inbred.

I don’t think any agency can be all things to all men, however, when my son was between full time jobs he tried several agencies, and while not having the best work all of the time, although this branch was in the West Midlands, they fixed him up with some work closer to home, (Stoke) than some more local agencies.
Unfortunately, it’s not always the agencies are ar$eholes, many companies using agency drivers, even hard working English lads, can treat them like ■■■■■!

Muckaway:
The worst drivers’ mates I worked with on the flour came from Pertemps. Some didn’t turn up, some spoke virtually no English, some expected to be picked up and dropped off and some were a bit inbred.

Inbred :lol; I’m actually creasing lol I didn’t know there was many Inbreds about these days lol

I take it you didn’t like them then ?

I don’t mind talking to Foreigners I find it a challenge lol for e.g when he asks you where the Toilet is I say ze Toilet las zis ova Fhere (then point)

Best agency I ever worked for was Pertemps, but that was in the Midlands not Sheffield.

Never had a problem with the money or the bookings, they were spot on but what other branches are like I’ve no idea.

[zb] me I’m talking good about an agency :open_mouth:

Agencies are and always been the cancer of the industry…they will tell you anything to get you on their books and keep you waiting for their emergencies.

Believe me I am 54 and been in and out of this business for 30 years.

ask any of my driver how many shifts they had had booked as ‘emergencies’ in the last year I reckon I could count it on one hand.

not all are crap same as drivers