Any companies which employ & fund license training? (kent)

any employers in kent that provide this? funding, in return work for x amount of time or pay it back out of wages over x amount of time

i’ve found 2 so far, but the pay was only suitable for somebody who doesn’t pay rent, doesn’t buy food, doesn’t buy anything at all…

sonicreaction41:
any employers in kent that provide this? funding, in return work for x amount of time or pay it back out of wages over x amount of time

i’ve found 2 so far, but the pay was only suitable for somebody who doesn’t pay rent, doesn’t buy food, doesn’t buy anything at all…

That’s their cut to pay for your training. Financially they’re making a loss if they pay for it out of the profit they make off you. Besides I don’t think there’s all that many companies nationwide who’d be willing to put you through your training.

What did you expect OP?
Wages are not great to start with so by the time the firm takes out it’s investment in you, of course there isn’t much left! :cry:
Also, they are taking a risk on you over someone who already as their licences, so why would you expect them to do this on terms more favourable to you, rather than to them?

Looked in to this myself near me (Manchester) couldn’t find any firms that did it. Found a couple that trained class 2 drivers for there class 1 but only after driving for them for atleast 6 months and I’m guessing you would have to be perfect in that time to get in for the class 1 course.

Goldsworthy transport, system training etc etc. I’ve looked into as many of them as I could find and they’re all paying circa £7.20 an hour for class 1 work when you qualify. Better to self fund.

You could always look at the likes of viamaster training who offer finance but no job offer at the end of the training. Other companies probably do it too.

Youve got to think as well how long you are tied into the company at the end of it. I looked into a company for work the other week but didnt entertain the job as the rates were incredibly low. They mentioned at interview that they would find the next license category provided you signed up to the firm for the next 3 years.

If you took this for example they would pay you £8 per hour for class 1. Say the going rate was £10 p/h (more is achievable round here) you are losing £100 per week based on a 50 hour week. If you then look at this over the course of 3 years you would be down £15,600 in wages just for letting them pay the £1200 or so for the license.

Obviously if you left prior to the 3 years there would be some contract clause stating you had to pay the training back etc but its a big chunk of change to lose if you stayed.

NickW88:
Youve got to think as well how long you are tied into the company at the end of it. I looked into a company for work the other week but didnt entertain the job as the rates were incredibly low. They mentioned at interview that they would find the next license category provided you signed up to the firm for the next 3 years.

If you took this for example they would pay you £8 per hour for class 1. Say the going rate was £10 p/h (more is achievable round here) you are losing £100 per week based on a 50 hour week. If you then look at this over the course of 3 years you would be down £15,600 in wages just for letting them pay the £1200 or so for the license.

Obviously if you left prior to the 3 years there would be some contract clause stating you had to pay the training back etc but its a big chunk of change to lose if you stayed.

3 years is a long time, that is a big loss.

i’m better off sticking with the vans for now and saving up for a few months to fund it.

It’s not Kent but I cane across this in my area, Shame I have my class2
csg.co.uk/cms/uploads/1236408045.pdf

There are plenty of 0% credit cards about nowadays for 2 years,use that to pay for your training then pay it off before the 2 years is up,jobs a gud en!

Look for companies and training providers offering a modern apprenticeship in Driving Goods Vehicles. You get paid the normal rate, as the company is not allowed to discriminate and you get all the training provided to do the job properly. You will even get paid on the days you go to college, where you will learn english, maths, etc.

Not many companies around though.

I am gona sound like i work in recruitment for them soon but…

Goldstar do this i have just finished it with them, they offer job after you have finished your class 1 and you will be on the same pay as all the other drivers. also they put you with another driver for the first 2 weeks so you can get used to the job and how all the docks and ■■■■ works.

the training is based in suffolk (woolpit) but i am 99% sure they offer some sort of cheep accommodation for the training week(s) and IDK were you live in kent but they have a yard at Tilbury dock so if you live in kent close to the pipe, you might be able to work there?

xichrisxi:
There are plenty of 0% credit cards about nowadays for 2 years,use that to pay for your training then pay it off before the 2 years is up,jobs a gud en!

that’s looking like the best bet at the moment, cheers

thanks for all the replies guys :smiley:

MrGodSquad:

Goldstar do this i have just finished it with them, they offer job after you have finished your class 1 and you will be on the same pay as all the other drivers. also they put you with another driver for the first 2 weeks so you can get used to the job and how all the docks and [zb] works.

the training is based in suffolk (woolpit) but i am 99% sure they offer some sort of cheep accommodation for the training week(s) and IDK were you live in kent but they have a yard at Tilbury dock so if you live in kent close to the pipe, you might be able to work there?

I found their page about 3 month ago, and thought SWEEEEEEET I want it, so if its ok fella can I pick your brains about the hows/whats of doing it with them?

Can PM if you’d prefer? :sunglasses:

Yeah they have one near me in Normanton, but the pay rate they offered me just seemed so low.

Benjie83:

MrGodSquad:

Goldstar do this i have just finished it with them, they offer job after you have finished your class 1 and you will be on the same pay as all the other drivers. also they put you with another driver for the first 2 weeks so you can get used to the job and how all the docks and [zb] works.

I found their page about 3 month ago, and thought SWEEEEEEET I want it, so if its ok fella can I pick your brains about the hows/whats of doing it with them?

yes mate can post on here or as a PM, is there anything in particular you wanted to know or just how the hole thing works?

MrGodSquad:

Benjie83:

MrGodSquad:

yes mate can post on here or as a PM, is there anything in particular you wanted to know or just how the hole thing works?

Gentleman…ok here goes
1… Do you need to have held your C2 for x amount of time to apply for it?

2… Is it a training scheme that they take anyone for or is it an interview based opportunity?

3… Do you get a job once completed, is there a minimum/maximum you pay each month, or can you pay it off early?

4… I see ts done at woolpit, is that your base once completed?

Think that’s it for the minute fella lol, I’m dead keen on going for it myself so I genuinely do appreciate all your input as usual :sunglasses:

1. C2? You can go for it if you have a B (car) or C (class 2) licence, and you don’t have to have held them for anytime at all.

2. you do have to go for a “assessment” but from what i could tell as long as your not a danger you will get your chance. ( i hit about 6 kerbs and had very little idea WTF i was doing on my one and i still got on it)

3. yes when you have passed your Class 1 (C+E) they guarantee you a job and for the first 2 weeks you will go out with another driver to show you how to do everything you need to know. as for paying it back you could pay it all off if you want but its £50/£100 a week they keep changing there minds about it. (a little tip if you can pay for it before they will be more likely to take you on, there is no liability on them that way)

4. yes its done a woolpit but after you pass you can pick the yard you want to work out of, so if you live near tilbury you will work there you live near Liverpool you will work out of that yard. as long as there is a yard there you can work there.

Something i will add on is its NOT a quick thing, It has taken be about 3/4 of a year from calling them for the first time to passing my class 1. as you can see from my bio as to when i pass the licences. If you have your C (class 2) already it might be quicker for you.

any other questions feel free to ask me on here or PM

MrGodSquad:

1. C2? You can go for it if you have a B (car) or C (class 2) licence, and you don’t have to have held them for anytime at all.

Your a gent thankyou very very much :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I’m looking at getting my class two first, will be this year as I’ve paid deposit…just wether I can pass it lol.

Does there seem to be alot of folk taking them up on it?..ive found two other possible company’s but I don’t want to apply for a multitude and be in the position of messing anyone around if that makes sense…

I also love the idea of you having a mentor for your first few weeks, I will as for you if an when then times come’s :laughing: :laughing:

So are you enjoying the job, what the shifts like any good??

When I contacted them recently they stated it’s around a £300-500 deposit and then the rest is paid back at £100 over 19 weeks. That’s for doing the full thing with them, medical, cat c and c+e.

That’s just the latest situation. If you email them they will send you some information sheets about pay etc which I found very useful in making my decision.

EDIT://
£300 deposit if you only need to do Cat C+E. £900 to pay back over 9 weeks upon employment.
£500 deposit if you need Cat C & C+E. £1900 to pay back over 19 weeks upon employment.