Anti Collision Systems

So, has anyone managed to rear end someone with this system fitted to the truck, or does it really work?
Had a volvo FH demonstrator with this fitted but never had a situation where it was needed to be used, it’s all good having all this technology fitted to a truck but not so good when you don’t have any idea how it will react in a situation.
When a new vehicle comes with advanced technology fitted I think it would be good to try it out for yourself, the last one for me was ABS when that had to be fitted to new trucks and trailers all those years ago, and yes I did test it out on all types of road surfaces dry,wet, ice and snow and weights empty and fully loaded 38 tonnes back then to give the confidence to use it in a full on braking situation and knowing that the outfit isn’t going to a jacknife as easy as a non ABS outfit would, can say though iv’e not tried it at 44 tonnes though.

By its very nature an anti collision system isn’t going to be end user testable like trying out ABS or other useful and driver assessable features, unless that is your gaffer allows you to put up a wall of empty cardboard boxes and take runs at it :bulb:

which isn’t such a daft idea as it sounds, and i have no doubt an enlightened operator or TM would take an interest in observing the results for themselves, now where to find an enlightened operator.

or you could just look on youtube showing a hundred different demonstration of it working…is it not only meant to be on when the driver hasnt reacted quick enough? by that time it dont matter either way as your about to hit the windscreen anyway

Juddian:
By its very nature an anti collision system isn’t going to be end user testable like trying out ABS or other useful and driver assessable features, unless that is your gaffer allows you to put up a wall of empty cardboard boxes and take runs at it :bulb:

which isn’t such a daft idea as it sounds, and i have no doubt an enlightened operator or TM would take an interest in observing the results for themselves, now where to find an enlightened operator.

I mentioned it to our planner, he said “try it out on the M1, if you crash, you know it doesn’t work” haha.

youtube.com/watch?v=qY3bnZaNht0
Can I nominate the designer of the arsetronic gearbox to stand in front of my truck please?

Franglais:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3bnZaNht0
Can I nominate the designer of the arsetronic gearbox to stand in front of my truck please?

Yes they are hopeless for driving pleasure and progress unless you make use of manual, but for reliability long term they are earning a serious reputation that can’t be denied, our Scani’s are a much better box to use but they aint lasting but sshh don’t tell anyone, the perfect lorry cannot fail :wink:

Not looking forward to getting my next one which will be all singeing all dancing, (but without the remotest chance of having our revert to eco default programmed out :unamused: ) can’t wait till we’re slithering along at 25/30mph on packed snow turning to black ice and the lorry suddenly sees something it doesn’t like and chucks the anchors out :open_mouth: what could possibly go wrong :unamused:

Juddian:

Franglais:

Yes they are hopeless for driving pleasure and progress unless you make use of manual, but for reliability long term they are earning a serious reputation that can’t be denied, our Scani’s are a much better box to use but they aint lasting but sshh don’t tell anyone, the perfect lorry cannot fail :wink:

Not looking forward to getting my next one which will be all singeing all dancing, (but without the remotest chance of having our revert to eco default programmed out :unamused: ) can’t wait till we’re slithering along at 25/30mph on packed snow turning to black ice and the lorry suddenly sees something it doesn’t like and chucks the anchors out :open_mouth: what could possibly go wrong :unamused:

You can override the system, but if drivers aren’t educated, probably disaster will ensue!

weeto:

Juddian:

Franglais:

You can override the system, but if drivers aren’t educated, probably disaster will ensue!

Depending on how they are specced the auto/eco-off/manual mode on recent DAF s will revert to auto even after the driver has (tried to) switch into manual. That option can be turned off by the dealer, but it depends on what the owner wants. The owner of my truck doesnt want me moaning at him all the time so Ive got that particular piece of idiocy “off”.

There should be a TEST button or a DEMO button so you can see and hear the alarms when parked and maybe register them in your head so that when they do go off when your driving, you wont be wasting a few seconds looking at the dash wondering WTF when you should be trying to avoid the ■■■■ who has shot in front of you from standing traffic in the outside lane while your doing 40ish in the middle lane :blush:
and no i didnt hit him, it didnt even bring on the brakes in the volvo, only the alarm went off

Franglais:

weeto:

Juddian:

Franglais:

Depending on how they are specced the auto/eco-off/manual mode on recent DAF s will revert to auto even after the driver has (tried to) switch into manual. That option can be turned off by the dealer, but it depends on what the owner wants. The owner of my truck doesnt want me moaning at him all the time so Ive got that particular piece of idiocy “off”.

I was referring to switching off the anti collision system.

weeto:
I was referring to switching off the anti collision system.

Unfortunately we have blokes who are convinced that if you have a prang with the system turned off you’ll be to blame, trying to convince them that we’ve been to blame long before the Gameboy kids who designed this rubbish were ill conceived isn’t working :unamused: and if you ram some bugger up the arse with it fitted and working, you still won’t find the design team of Vulvadafmanscanireno taking your place in the dock.

As with learning to control your auto lorry in manual mode, its NBG trying to learn all these systems and their idiocyncrasies when there’s ice underfoot or you’re about to climb a 1:7 hill, and then you’ve got umpteen layers of pseudo new bosses with their own agendas for greasy pole dancing watching telematics etc for any slight deviance from ‘‘one size fits all’’ unthinking robotic steering wheel attendants, so they can raise a disciplinary issue and get a pat on the head from the head bully.

Roll on the next 4 years, and they can stick it where the sun don’t shine, and i can speak :wink:

weeto:

Hopefully all drivers are educated enough to be able to drive a vehicle without one of these systems fitted? Most of us manage to avoid disaster on a daily basis.
If, or rather when, these systems work without throwing up false positives Ill welcome them. While truck manufacturers install half-arsed rubbish I will call it just that: rubbish. It seems to me that there are better systems out there already, but as I dont yet have experience of them I can`t really comment on them. My experience so far has been of false warnings buzzers and lights that are slowly training me to ignore any red or yellow lights flashing up on the dash. Surely this is only a bad thing?

On our euro 6 daf’s they are operational at all times and can be a pain in the backside as some road signs activate them as do the cars who turn off in front of you even though there is no problem to you the system decides there is and brakes . Both of these instances are usually when you least expect them .

Gillberry:
On our euro 6 daf’s they are operational at all times and can be a pain in the backside as some road signs activate them as do the cars who turn off in front of you even though there is no problem to you the system decides there is and brakes . Both of these instances are usually when you least expect them .

Ditto, plus over bridges.

Can confirm. My advice is not to tailgate any 64 plate or newer DAF because you could find it going down the A1 and it randomly slamming on the brakes as it goes under a bridge.

DAF in particular fast getting a bad name among drivers with their latest offerings, you don’t hear of these probs with others, however my mate’s Actros nearly stuffed him in the screen when it ‘saw’ a set of bollards in town and stopped dead.

Anything that prevents accidents has to be welcomed, a perfect example was the fatal accident on the A34 when the driver was fiddling with his phone.

If the system had been fitted to the vehicle Mr Kroker was driving those people would be alive today.

Juddian:
DAF in particular fast getting a bad name among drivers with their latest offerings, you don’t hear of these probs with others, however my mate’s Actros nearly stuffed him in the screen when it ‘saw’ a set of bollards in town and stopped dead.

The system on the Mercs seems to work well and can be disabled I’ve had the audible warning a number of times usually keep left bollards, on the flipside it could also cause accidents should the system malfunction and apply the brakes particularly likely on a DAF with there notorioty for electrical faults.

it is indeed a wonderful advancement towards safety, but I wonder if the benefits will be lost if drivers rely on them too much and forget to concentrate on the all important quarter of a mile ahead. acc, collision warning, aebs, lane departure could lead to more texting / facebooking / watching tv etc.

Bluey Circles:
it is indeed a wonderful advancement towards safety, but I wonder if the benefits will be lost if drivers rely on them too much and forget to concentrate on the all important quarter of a mile ahead. acc, collision warning, aebs, lane departure could lead to more texting / facebooking / watching tv etc.

Close to the law of un-foreseen consequences?
If we revert to manual, non synchro boxes, and no power steering then we won`t possibly be able to pick up a mobile phone will we? Ergo safer roads!

And no, I am not the offspring of CF !

Seriously, I am in favour of better safety systems, but am not convinced by what I have so far seen. Mike68 is making a very valid point about that incident on the A34. I moan like hell about the system fitted to my truck, it is crap, but I know I aint infallible, so I dont turn it off. I see all the stuff about Google cars and the system fitted to Teslas and am convinced that there is better out there.