Anti Collision Systems

New Iveco the same last night I was on M1 having a nice relaxing drive down to Park Royal singing along to some Christmas songs went under a bridge and it slammed the anchors on I nearly ■■■■ myself and the truck behind was none to impressed either he probably thought I d brake tested him not great at 3am!
I m not denying it’s a great idea and will save lives but as with all new technology it definitely needs fine tuning! [emoji15][emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve had a (TWI) trained works instruction handed to us to sign, no training what so ever I will add.
And it does state that if there an accident and it’s seen to be turned off ur in deep DOO DOO.

Juddian:
…and the lorry suddenly sees something it doesn’t like and chucks the anchors out :open_mouth: what could possibly go wrong :unamused:

Thats when the next generation comes with “road condition reader” systems so it then knows whether it’s icy, snowy, wet etc. A bit like some cars in theory have, but of course it’ll be sold as an “innovation” not a “oh heck, now we need to fix our last fix” concept.

trevHCS:

Juddian:
…and the lorry suddenly sees something it doesn’t like and chucks the anchors out :open_mouth: what could possibly go wrong :unamused:

Thats when the next generation comes with “road condition reader” systems so it then knows whether it’s icy, snowy, wet etc. A bit like some cars in theory have, but of course it’ll be sold as an “innovation” not a “oh heck, now we need to fix our last fix” concept.

A true politician, or salesman (the two are almost the same thing), you have missed your true vocation :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: , innovation is how they’ll flog the upgrade when the roads descend into utter chaos as vehicles fitted with this tat outnumber those which don’t and multiple pile ups are the result…popcorn i tell you is the answer :imp:

Apparently the AEBS on Renault trucks will stop a 44ton truck travelling at 56mph on a 2 pence piece 1m from the object that caused the AEBS to kick in, inertial dampners also kick in to compensate for sudden deaccelaration…

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

I have got it on my Golf and a empty packet of Walkers Crips flew in front of the car and yes it started to brake to avoid a collision!!

We have a “collision warning” system on our Scania’s but as far as I can tell, no auto braking. Had it go off once when a car brake checked me on the A38 near Burton and again on the M1 in traffic at 1am when the Boots lorry in front stopped dead. As for all this auto crap they keep pushing, our Dafs are thankfully unfettled when it comes to that safety stuff. No warnings or auto braking, manual overrides have been left on. Left it in manual mode from the M18/M1 exit to J28 for the A38 without it reverting back to auto. The Scanias though have been bought and spec’d by the bean counters. Manual override is disabled above 25mph, cruise control shuts off as you approach a hill crest or should I say when the computer thinks its a hill crest. Since manual override is disabled I have to rely on the computer to make gear changes. Great fun on the hills up the A19 towards Sunderland at 40ton, since its stuck in Eco mode it will try and hold the highest gear for the longest time. The only saving grace is the clutch which should make driving in snow a bit easier. Also, might I had. Whoever spec’d the engine shut off to happen after 30 seconds of idling needs to have their nuts coated in honey and dumped on a fire ants nest.

mike68:
Anything that prevents accidents has to be welcomed, a perfect example was the fatal accident on the A34 when the driver was fiddling with his phone.

If the system had been fitted to the vehicle Mr Kroker was driving those people would be alive today.

assuming whoever was in the queue tailgating the flipflop didnt shove him into them anyway along with everyone else driving along and not seeing the traffic because of the size of the trucks…crap happens no matter what the scenario is…if only every truck had every computorised system in place then there would be no accidents because there would be no drivers…i wonder if anyone has ever thought of that?

This sounds like “RTO” on aircraft Autobrake. The daddy of the settings used. “Rejected take off”. You close the thrust levers on take off to reject the take off and it’ll apply maximum auto brakes to stop 400 tonnes :laughing: . It’s violent stuff, face planting to be honest when you do it - the breaks start smoking violently when you stop, melts the tyres (217 psi of nitrogen), melts the the wheel fusible plugs causing them to deflate at over pressure but works pretty well. You end up with flat wheels and brakes on fire but you stop. The lorry anti collision system itself sounds slightly similar to airborne TCAS. Except, it does it for you in lorries. Pretty advanced.

Freight Dog:
This sounds like “RTO” on aircraft Autobrake. The daddy of the settings used. “Rejected take off”. You close the thrust levers on take off to reject the take off and it’ll apply maximum auto brakes to stop 400 tonnes :laughing: . It’s violent stuff, face planting to be honest when you do it - the breaks start smoking violently when you stop, melts the tyres (217 psi of nitrogen), melts the the wheel fusible plugs causing them to deflate at over pressure but works pretty well. You end up with flat wheels and brakes on fire but you stop. The lorry anti collision system itself sounds slightly similar to airborne TCAS. Except, it does it for you in lorries. Pretty advanced.

That sounds like a last ditch resort system.

I know of a driver who was taking a bend in the road where a junction joins this main road, a car pulled up at said junction and the anti collision system came on. Full on breaking hazard lights bells and alarms.
Driver had to switch everything off to reset the system before continuing.
Changed of pants I think was his request when he got back.

Radar19:

Freight Dog:

Yes. I suppose like emergency braking on a lorry. It’s RTO. Full bore. Emergency braking. Unlike a lorry at perhaps 35 tonnes doing 55, it’s designed to stopped whatever the mass is, perhaps 430 tonnes at 195mph within a short strip of road that runs out. That’s a mammoth amount of energy to lose. Shows in heat.

Aborting take off is a particularly risky affair. Essentially it’s defined by a point that we work out at which when accelerating you can stop and after this point you can’t and have to go.

Freight Dog:

Radar19:

Freight Dog:

Yes. I suppose like emergency braking on a lorry. It’s RTO. Full bore. Emergency braking. Aborting take off is a particularly risky affair. Essentially it’s defined by a point that we work out at which when accelerating you can stop and after this point you can’t and have to go.

You won’t be making a second attempt by the sounds of things if you pull that stunt.

Radar19:

Freight Dog:

Radar19:

Freight Dog:

Yes. I suppose like emergency braking on a lorry. It’s RTO. Full bore. Emergency braking. Aborting take off is a particularly risky affair. Essentially it’s defined by a point that we work out at which when accelerating you can stop and after this point you can’t and have to go.

You won’t be making a second attempt by the sounds of things if you pull that stunt.

It depends on the speed you rejected. Low speeds, ok with some cooling. But high weights and fast is a problem. On the small stuff maybe they get away with cooling for ages with the brakes and wheels checked if they haven’t blown the plugs with fire teams watching it. On the heavies, game over for a while until the brakes cool and they can sort the gear out, there’s a big set of procedures for engineering on it. Plus of course fixing whatever caused the reject!

Brakes have to be cool enough to absorb the enormous energy of an RTO before you commence take off as there’s so much energy they have to be able to soak up and any residual heat can mess their capacity to take it all. They can get quite hot even taxiing out on large airports if the brakes are used a lot or by bad technique.

Freight Dog:
Yes. I suppose like emergency braking on a lorry. It’s RTO. Full bore. Emergency braking. Unlike a lorry at perhaps 35 tonnes doing 55, it’s designed to stopped whatever the mass is, perhaps 430 tonnes at 195mph within a short strip of road that runs out. That’s a mammoth amount of energy to lose. Shows in heat.

This one is a good example although it’s not a heavy he’s also put the reverse thrust into use which unfortunately trucks ain’t got. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=KbAQpvBo1qg

nick2008:
I know of a driver who was taking a bend in the road where a junction joins this main road, a car pulled up at said junction and the anti collision system came on. Full on breaking hazard lights bells and alarms.
Driver had to switch everything off to reset the system before continuing.
Changed of pants I think was his request when he got back.

So said driver was never told how to override the system or didn’t bother to read the manual to learn how the system works? Only time it will auto brake is if the driver does not respond to the initial warning.
You can’t blame the system if the driver doesn’t know how to use it, the FH I had the other week flashed up the collision warning due to a car being in the middle of the road waiting to turn right on a left hand bend which I could pass and all I did was lift my foot off the throttle and it cancelled the warning, if i had done nothing then I assume it would have slammed the brakes on.

Carryfast:

Freight Dog:

This one is a good example although it’s not a heavy he’s also put the reverse thrust into use which unfortunately trucks ain’t got. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=KbAQpvBo1qg

This shows the wheel fires and fuse plugs blowing

youtu.be/_g6UswiRCF0

Got one on a new merc 2548, it works alright, pulled me right up when a car was turning left in front of me, but I will be turning it off in the ice and snow.