Another Truck Coming with No Mirrors

Pinched from twitter

Gawd help us, at least it still has the mountings for real mirrors… Having spoken to Berc drivers, they say in the day they are brilliant,but come evening,or drizzling conditions, and reversing in darkens yards they are crepe…

Really can’t see the point of these, I understand advances in technology and all that but these are just an expensive replacement for something tried and tested that works perfectly well. I wonder how many mercs have needed recovering because the system has failed and how much it cost to fix it. Trucks look stupid without mirrors too, like a person with no ears

RIPPER:
Pinched from twitter

It’s a retro fit apparent…
Our lot are getting mirrorless mercs soon… :open_mouth:

I haven’t driven one yet but, I’ve watched a review video on youtube and they seem impressive.
Merc version, the mirror tracks the rear of the trailer, so you never lose sight of it, even when reversing.
Blindside reverse with rear of the trailer always in view in the main mirror. Sounds good.
I love technology and anything that makes life easier.
I’ll save final judgement until I’ve driven a vehicle with them fitted, up to now though, i like the idea.

Night-and-day:
Really can’t see the point of these, I understand advances in technology and all that but these are just an expensive replacement for something tried and tested that works perfectly well. I wonder how many mercs have needed recovering because the system has failed and how much it cost to fix it.

+1000

Well intentioned (to remove some blind spots) but at what cost? If the solution is worse than the problem, is it really a solution? Now, I haven’t driven a mirror-less truck yet - as an agency driver I’m looking forward to my first chance to drive one of these sometime in 2027-28. I will point out however that the cost of maintenance / replacement of the cameras may not be that much higher than the cost of repairing / replacing actual mirrors as these tend to be ‘on the front lines’ in tight spaces as has been explained to us in a memo hanging in transport :slight_smile: Apparently it can cost up to £400 to replace 1 mirror

Why not use the technology ‘‘alongside’’ normal mirrors in some way, if it makes blindsiding etc easier/safer, this would make more sense.

Another feature is a button next to night heater controls that when pressed puts both cameras on for 60 secs to allow you to check down both sides of the vehicle in the mirrors from ya bunk.
Handy if you hear noises in the night.

Waiting for someone who has actually used them to add their input…

I had a go of one recently and I’ve got to say they are nothing on conventional mirrors. On the one I was in the picture was very grainy, almost like what the box t.vs on standard definition used to look like. This was on a clear day with no rain. With the mirrors we have now you can wipe them and have a crystal clear view but with those it doesn’t seem like you have a choice. Unless I missed where you could change the settings? Total gimmick I think. Unless it’s paving the way for autonomous trucks so they can log onto the mirrors to detect cars and bay lines and things like that

trevorking1964:
Another feature is a button next to night heater controls that when pressed puts both cameras on for 60 secs to allow you to check down both sides of the vehicle in the mirrors from ya bunk.
Handy if you hear noises in the night.

Waiting for someone who has actually used them to add their input…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it would be handier if they had another button for remote controlled curtains then assuming you would have them covered up and closed if you were in your kip?
mabey they might market a nice peekaboo option.

I have no problem with new technology if it is better than what it replaces. But I do wonder about a couple of issues with these mirrorless lorries.

I am a night driver, and spend a significant part of my journey driving down dark lanes. Will the glow from the screens affect how accustomed my eyes become to the dark? I don’t want to be straining to see where I’m going.

One advantage of real mirrors is that if you can’t quite see something, you can lean forward / sideways or whatever to alter your view through the mirror. This obviously isn’t the case with the camera system.

Maybe some sort of hybrid system would be better…

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. No. I’ll get my coat. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These fancy CCTV on stalks would last all of 30 seconds on the overgrown green lanes to the farms we do. :unamused:

'kin ugly thing with it’s stupid ears sticking out.

Looks like Shrek, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve used a merc with the mirrors for the day in broad daylight. I found that it’s difficult to judge distance & speed of cars in lane 2 to plan your overtakes, whatever about the lines on the screen. Maybe you get used to this but I didn’t like it at all. It’s fine if it’s not busy on the motorway.

For close manoeuvring again depth perception is no good.

Dunno about night vision but lads say it’s not great. Should be infra red but they were saying you can’t see blues & two’s. If there’s strobing white light behind me, I can put two & two together. [emoji849]

I’d pay for my own mirrors if I had the option in a full time job, would stop short of refusing to drive one but any other marque is fine by me.

My ex gaffer is running some 20 plate Mercs, when I commented to him that they must be old stock that had been sat in a field for a while as they had standard mirrors he replied that they actually were new builds but ADR regs prevented the use of the new camera mirrors. Dunno if that’s true or if some salesman was spinning him a line.

Over engineered tech for the sake of it,.I’m all for tech used as a means of improvement to an old system, …but this is not an improvement but merely an alternative method. :bulb:

Way I see it if somebody actually NEEDS a panoramic non blind spot view to do a reverse in an artic, maybe they should stick to driving a rigid.

+1 Rob. [emoji115]

robroy:
Over engineered tech for the sake of it,.I’m all for tech used as a means of improvement to an old system, …but this is not an improvement but merely an alternative method. :bulb:

Way I see it if somebody actually NEEDS a panoramic non blind spot view to do a reverse in an artic, maybe they should stick to driving a rigid.

100%

R420:
These fancy CCTV on stalks would last all of 30 seconds on the overgrown green lanes to the farms we do. :unamused:

Yup because they won’t have expected that and they’ll just snap off at the drop of a hat…or not