Another Truck Coming with No Mirrors

switchlogic:

R420:
These fancy CCTV on stalks would last all of 30 seconds on the overgrown green lanes to the farms we do. :unamused:

Yup because they won’t have expected that and they’ll just snap off at the drop of a hat…or not

That’s exactly what they’ll do if the impact is more than a light graze. If you get unlucky and destroy a mirror from a misjudgement or having to taking evasive action when some idiot comes flying round a blind bend at speed, not expecting a truck blocking the entire road (as is common), it might cost you a couple of hundred quid for a new mirror and housing, but a new fancy CCTV stalk is going to be at least 4 figures imo, as I predict it will natually require “coding” to the wagon :unamused: so that they can keep out the aftermarket boys’ noses. I expect that’s why you don’t see them on tippers, tankers, feed wagons or anything else doing rural road driving. :bulb:

I’ve done more…

Than my fair share over the decades of country lanes delivering fertilizer (on a flat under a fly sheet) to farms in Kent, Hampshire, Somerset and all the way down to Cornwall.

Whilst the likelyhood is increased of losing a mirror, it’s not like you lose a set every time you come off the motorway.

I can buy a 1080 HD dash cam on Amazon/Ebay for under £30 if I look hard enough. Why would the price be in the hundreds cos it’s on a lorry?

yourhavingalarf:
I can buy a 1080 HD dash cam on Amazon/Ebay for under £30 if I look hard enough. Why would the price be in the hundreds cos it’s on a lorry?

LOL ! For a split second there I thought you were being serious !

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve done more…

Than my fair share over the decades of country lanes delivering fertilizer (on a flat under a fly sheet) to farms in Kent, Hampshire, Somerset and all the way down to Cornwall.

Whilst the likelyhood is increased of losing a mirror, it’s not like you lose a set every time you come off the motorway.

I was talking to our fitter, he says every Merc bit is subject to what he calls ‘Merctax’, ie 250quid standing charge before you pay for the already extortionate price for the bit.

R420:

switchlogic:

R420:
These fancy CCTV on stalks would last all of 30 seconds on the overgrown green lanes to the farms we do. :unamused:

Yup because they won’t have expected that and they’ll just snap off at the drop of a hat…or not

That’s exactly what they’ll do if the impact is more than a light graze. If you get unlucky and destroy a mirror from a misjudgement or having to taking evasive action when some idiot comes flying round a blind bend at speed, not expecting a truck blocking the entire road (as is common), it might cost you a couple of hundred quid for a new mirror and housing, but a new fancy CCTV stalk is going to be at least 4 figures imo, as I predict it will natually require “coding” to the wagon :unamused: so that they can keep out the aftermarket boys’ noses. I expect that’s why you don’t see them on tippers, tankers, feed wagons or anything else doing rural road driving. :bulb:

1. You don’t see them on tippers and the like because they are rarely seen on anything right now being new tech. 2. I think you’re drastically underestimating the cost of new mirrors on most modern trucks and 3. Drastically over estimating the cost of a camera on a stick? Over a grand?! Won’t be particularly cheap but really won’t be that much. Esp since this is a third party fitment not manufacturer, ‘aftermarket boys’ if you will

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve done more…

Whilst the likelyhood is increased of losing a mirror, it’s not like you lose a set every time you come off the motorway.?

Likewise having spent the vast majority of my life living in West Wales the whole ‘won’t survive rural roads’ balls is so over done. Can’t remember the last time I even scratched the mirror back let alone smashed the mirror. And let’s face it Mansel Davies (my last job) is hardly located down a motorway :smiley: Llanfyrnach if anyone is interested

yourhavingalarf:

A) Because mirrorless wing mirrors didn’t come out 10 years ago or so like dash cams, the technology is still very new with vehicles fitted with them only coming out last year and this year.

B) You can’t just go looking for the cheapest no good peice of crap made in China from a no name manufacturer that’s only going to last a month or 2 before it breaks, you are instead forced to stay with a high quality, well known manufacturer who probably haven’t got young children making them.

switchlogic:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve done more…

Whilst the likelyhood is increased of losing a mirror, it’s not like you lose a set every time you come off the motorway.?

Likewise having spent the vast majority of my life living in West Wales the whole ‘won’t survive rural roads’ balls is so over done. Can’t remember the last time I even scratched the mirror back let alone smashed the mirror. And let’s face it Mansel Davies (my last job) is hardly located down a motorway :smiley: Llanfyrnach if anyone is interested

That had me puzzled for a moment, but then I remembered your ‘accident’ and how you’ve completely lost your memory. Fortunately the internet has no such memory issues :

As you probably won’t remember this due to your lack of memory, you were driving it at the time, on a long, straight and level road, so I don’t think you are best placed to pass comment on others’ driving abilities (or lack thereof) on the more challenging rural roads.

Toodle pip old chap.

You can’t really…

Tell from that picture whether the N/S mirrror is broken or not.

R420:

switchlogic:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve done more…

That had me puzzled for a moment, but then I remembered your ‘accident’ and how you’ve completely lost your memory. Fortunately the internet has no such memory issues :

As you probably won’t remember this due to your lack of memory, you were driving it at the time, on a long, straight and level road, so I don’t think you are best placed to pass comment on others’ driving abilities (or lack thereof) on the more challenging rural roads.

Toodle pip old chap.

You sure do have a bee in your bonnet over me don’t you. You should try concentrating on your own life rather than be completely obsessed with mine. I do love the self satisfied ‘got ya’ sound to your post though. Seemingly forgetting or not realizing who took and posted that Pic, who revealed the accident and who talked about who’s fault it was, mine. In case your own memory is wobbly it was me. I’ve never been anything but honest about my failings. And let’s face it not long later Virginia gave me the most expensive truck they’ve ever bought, a FH16 750 so hope you don’t mind but I’ll take their opinion of me over some weirdo on the internet with a hard on for me :wink:

yourhavingalarf:
You can’t really…

Tell from that picture whether the N/S mirrror is broken or not.

Amazingly it wasn’t! Despite how bad it looks in Pic the fact it was a bog area meant the truck had surprisingly little damage. Far and away the most expensive bill was pulling it out. After we spent hours and hours unloading a full load of boxed meat by hand. Three of the hardest workers were one of the owners of Virginia and two sons. The Cole family are far and away the best people I’ve ever worked for and all real grafters.

switchlogic:

R420:

switchlogic:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve done more…

Toodle pip old chap.

You sure do have a bee in your bonnet over me don’t you. You should try concentrating on your own life rather than be completely obsessed with mine. I do love the self satisfied ‘got ya’ sound to your post though. Seemingly forgetting or not realizing who took and posted that Pic, who revealed the accident and who talked about who’s fault it was, mine. In case your own memory is wobbly it was me. I’ve never been anything but honest about my failings. And let’s face it not long later Virginia gave me the most expensive truck they’ve ever bought, a FH16 750 so hope you don’t mind but I’ll take their opinion of me over some weirdo on the internet with a hard on for me :wink:

Well old bean, if your feelings are getting an ikkle bit hurt perhaps it would be wise not to pontificate from atop your pedestal about how superior your driving is that you cannot remember the last time you scratched a mirror driving along West Wales rural roads - a bold claim indeed when there is physical evidence of you being incapable of keeping a vehicle upright on a straight and level road :astonished: . I felt it my duty to remind you of it. Consider it my good deed for the day, helping you to regain your memory after its tragic loss earlier in the year :slight_smile: .

Giving you the most expensive truck they’ve ever bought - well I guess that speaks volumes about the driving standards of the rest of the driver workforce :open_mouth: . I’d have given you the keys the yard shunter FL10 and ensured that my wrecker recovery policy was up to date.

Toodles.

Feelings hurt?! By you? HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHa
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahaha
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahaha
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahah
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahah
HahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahah
HahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahah
HahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Please try to not make me laugh so much next time, it hurts my broken shoulder and metal coated rib cage :smiley: :smiley:

Disappointing response. Only the 2 sympathy comments this time? Usually you like to shoehorn in as many as you can for maximum effect. I guess with your bad memory struggles it’s difficult to remember all your ailments and broken limbs? Speedy recovery chap and good luck with your donations.

So both…

Mirror cams had they been fitted were ok.

YAY. Result! :smiley:

R420:
good luck with your donations.

Thank you kindly x

http://www.buymeacoff.ee/LukeVernon

switchlogic:
http://www.buymeacoff.ee/LukeVernon

Blimey…

You’ve got about ten years worth of coffee lined up.

Fair play to you.

Yeah incredible isn’t it! People are so kind

[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i think the big question that needs answered is,…when you were in your cab down in the ditch waiting for the wrecker ,did it resemble anything like the cab in your other post about the too much stuff in your cab? :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It was certainly in a state of disarray but not quite that bad!