Another POA question

war1974:
agree with that (15 before 6 hours and another 15 before 9 hours) but still dont get the poa extends the need for a break?

so if i work from 0600 to 1000 then have 5 hours poa whilst waiting at tosco to get on a bay you are saying i woudlnt need a break until technically 4pm so could have been at work over 10 hours before needing a break?

correct :grimacing:

Wtf is wrong with you dumb idiots ■■? Are you not resting on POA , so it isn’t 10 hours without a break is it .

I’m sure somewhere there’s an app for it all !

What a minefield. You can spend ages figuring out if you’ve complied - is that time spent working or POA or rest haha.

Brussel sprout madness. No wonder no one question has a simple answer with two directives to try and satisfy

not really rest is it sat in your truck waiting for some ■■■■ to knock and say pull on bay 3.

and dont give me that ■■■■ that you are free to dispose of your time as requested either

You don’t need to be free to dispose of your time whilst on a break.

So is that any different from a regular 45 rest ? Seriously some of you idiots moan about owt

Trucker timer is the app on android

Trucker timer looks good, got iphone but found it . I had looked at the free one from Renault but like the interface of TT better. Thanks

What is a Period of Availability?
Under the regulations, a POA should satisfy the following criteria:
a.A mobile worker should not be required to stay at his/her workstation
b.He/she must be available to answer calls, resume work or start driving upon request
c.The period of availability (and its duration) must be known to the mobile worker in advance, either before his/her departure or prior to the start of the period

to me the not required to stay at workstation = free to dispose of time.

war1974:
b.He/she must be available to answer calls, resume work or start driving upon request
c.The period of availability (and its duration) must be known to the mobile worker in advance, either before his/her departure or prior to the start of the period

Says SHOULD NOT which is different to MUST NOT = very important point legally

And ? Go to a canteen if there is one , go for a walk , strap a bike to back of truck and go for a ride . You don’t have to stay with your truck. . Do you think truck driving is a good career choice for you

Why be so abusive, lots of people struggle to get their heads round POA, mostly I suspect because most people quite sensibly (imo) don’t use it.

This place is called a discussion forum for a reason :wink:

Poa will extend the 6 hour rule by however long you use it for. This info came from Stuart Clark vosa northwest.

tachograph:
Why be so abusive, lots of people struggle to get their heads round POA, mostly I suspect because most people quite sensibly (imo) don’t use it.

This place is called a discussion forum for a reason :wink:

I whole heartedly agree with you tachograph. Unforunately there are those that “know it all” and there are those that realise that you are always learning… :wink:

war1974:

POA and break aren’t that differnt, the requirement for break is a little less than for POA, but for neither do you have to be free to dispose of your time. That requirement is for rest and rest is not the same as break or POA.

If you are on POA you are doing pretty much what you do on break, sit around with your thumb up your arse. So, if you did 5 hours POA in a 10 hour shift you are hardly working hard for 10 hours, you’re at work but you ain’t working as such.

Since this can of worms POA minefield has been opened I also have a question or two :grimacing: say if you have a long POA waiting time of say 6 hours, can still you only work a maximum of 15 hours that day?

Also how many of you drivers use POA if you know your going to be on a bay for a while? instead of just putting it on break like we used to.

I’m going back on the road after a long lay off from tramping and all this POA didn’t exist when I was last on tramping.

Centauri:
Since this can of worms POA minefield has been opened I also have a question :grimacing: say if you have a long POA waiting time of say 6 hours, can still you only work a maximum of 15 hours that day?
I’m going back on the road after a long lay off from tramping and all this POA didn’t exist when I was last on tramping.

POA has no effect on the daily rest period which must be taken within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, so if you did 6 hours POA you would still be restricted to a spread-over from start to end of shift of 13/15 hours.

Generally if you get paid for breaks or breaks after the first 45 minutes it’s easier to use break rather than POA.

tachograph:

Centauri:
Since this can of worms POA minefield has been opened I also have a question :grimacing: say if you have a long POA waiting time of say 6 hours, can still you only work a maximum of 15 hours that day?

POA has no effect on the daily rest period which must be taken within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, so if you did 6 hours POA you would still be restricted to a spread-over from start to end of shift of 13/15 hours.

Generally if you get paid for breaks or breaks after the first 45 minutes it’s easier to use break rather than POA.

Thanks, that’s cleared the issue up :slight_smile:

Does the POA button affect the 13/15 hours WTD rule or just the 6?

I had an issue a few weeks ago where the taillift broke while it was down, by the time the fitter reached me it and put it straight it was over 15 hours and and i’d already popped the card out, so the office had to send out another driver to pick up the wagon. This driver said i should have hit POA to pause the work on the taco but my understanding was i don’t do anything after the 13/15 irrespective. If i had, could i have driven after the 15 hour mark?

human cannonball:
Does the POA button affect the 13/15 hours WTD rule or just the 6?

I had an issue a few weeks ago where the taillift broke while it was down, by the time the fitter reached me it and put it straight it was over 15 hours and and i’d already popped the card out, so the office had to send out another driver to pick up the wagon. This driver said i should have hit POA to pause the work on the taco but my understanding was i don’t do anything after the 13/15 irrespective. If i had, could i have driven after the 15 hour mark?

Just the 6 rule

If you got to 15 hours then legally you must start a rest period as soon as it is reasonably possible which often means going into the nearest B&B in that situation