Another one down

Is it really nearly 15 years since this idiot had the idea to start a drivers forum?

Is it really 365 days since my last new year non rant?

I wasn’t going to do anything this year- but a few people have informed me its obligatory, and have supplied me with the much needed alcohol as is also traditional before I write this so here goes…

the short version
TruckNet aint dead yet - in fact doing rather well- giving the trolls a hardtime seems to have helped- apologies to some who have been caught in the crossfire, as ever the thanks need to go to the volunteer mods team who do most of the day to day work keeping the forums on track- next year- there are plans afoot for most of the usual events- details in time…

Long Version
AS above but with a few more details
Every year our doom is portended by the naysayers on here, we are so terrible that TruckNet will fade away and die, and to be honest maybe one day it will, but 2013 wasn’t that year- already the forums alone are well over 28 million page views for the year and we have an hour to go yet :slight_smile: more encouraging is the number of unique users still continues to rise- as does the number of returning visitors- so sorry - but we are not dead yet :slight_smile:

Some folks also said you could never make forums work as a business model, well yet again this year the forums made a profit over expenditure, bringing in a record income that we can use to improve/provide extras- (after we take out the business expenses for my yacht in Monaco and the company Aston Martin) :grimacing:

The content has improved, we know some didn’t like the crack down on trolling and silly supposedly funny one liners/put downs of other members - and sometimes some innocents have been caught up in it, However the bitchiness and bullying while not stopped is far less than it was, enabling new members to join in and become a part of the community- but we are aware that we haven’t solved the issue fully, and doubt we ever will, but we are resolved that the forums will not go back to the wild west we had for a long while in 2012… so be warned, play nice folks or to use my now infamous catch phrase - sod off else where :wink:

Next year we have a few plans- Truckfest will be happening, the charity do is still under discussion but hopefully is on the time table- and there may be a few more surprises …IF I had more details I would let you know- but I don’t (I really should go into the office more often- but the social clubs much closer and more inviting) but some things are happening. :unamused:

As for the parent company its been a couple years now since the management bought all the titles of RBI and we became a small independent company- some folks here said that was the end, that Trucknet would become a paysite… well just the opposite has happened, TruckNet will remain free to use, the adverts on here for subs for the magazines will be our cheapest offering and for now we will be continuing to give you all free access to over 100 years of the commercial motor archives.

Now some folks expect a rant on News Years Eve from me… and for the last couple of years I have failed miserably- guess what, this year you will get no rant from me either, simply because if its going well why knock it- although I have no doubt the usual few suspects will- so in order to give them some thing to moan about

NO your not coming off pre-mod- this isn’t the United Nations and theres no new year amnesty this year
I don’t care how important you think you are, if you cant read the rules then your post will get edited
It may make sense to you- but to the mod is looked ilke garbage- so they disposed of it- live with it.
What interests you ■■■■■■■■ is your affair- we don’t want or need to hear about it- post deleted

That should just about cover the usual muppets complaints- next :wink:

and finally dear 2013- the admin team have had enough, the doors~~~> thataway so long been nice knowing ya :grimacing:

OH I nearly forgot, while the volunteer team ensure the forum is on track, its is actually all of you who provide the discussion and content - so if you thinks the forums crap then look in the mirror, if you think its great do the same cos its you all who make it :wink: so thanks for yet another successful year- best wishes to you all

surprised you didn’t lock this before someone calls you a :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :grimacing:
u 2 Rikki be good

Keep it up mate all the best TN

Happy New Year RIkki and mods and all.

All the best and looking at the online members you can see how busy it is here.
Myself running a popular forum for a number of years live by the “You can please some of the members some of the time but not all of the members all of the time” moto.

It keeps ya on ya toes :wink:

Happy New Year :sunglasses:

Happy new Julember you miserable ■■■■■ :smiley:

If you need a troll troller, I volunteer :laughing:

All the very best, a great forum Thank you

Happy New Year ! More Pay & less imigrants amen !

i like how you say the content has improved. compared to what, exactly? i think that most of the old timers would beg to differ. your claims to increased viewing figures are in fact just an illusion as they are just banned/premod members signing up under new monikers and carrying on where they left off.

0a.:
i like how you say the content has improved. compared to what, exactly? i think that most of the old timers would beg to differ. your claims to increased viewing figures are in fact just an illusion as they are just banned/premod members signing up under new monikers and carrying on where they left off.

That would also include you then, would it?? :wink: :unamused: :smiley:

Happy New Year to all the mods and Admin

Bit of a tame speech in comparison to other years Rikki - more alcohol required next time… :smiley:

Happy New Year to everyone :smiley:

“Happy New Year” to “Rikki-UK” and all the mods/staff who have put up with us during 2013. :smiley:

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Good job you called that a ‘NON’ rant :confused:

More beer needed I think :stuck_out_tongue:

as for the Aston Martin, cleverly disguised as a series 2 Land Rover :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I personally wouldn’t lower myself to an Aston Martin or a yacht in Monaco, but I’m sure if your that desperate Rikki, I’ll have a word with my mate Bernie Ecclestone. :laughing:

All in all I don’t think it’s been too bad on here in 2013, but what ■■■■■■ me off is the amount of people who can’t be arsed to use the search facility before posting. 2 examples are threads on cb and sat navs. FFS use the search button and let’s have less of the same repeated over and over again. :imp: Or perhaps these repetitive threads could be moved to the relevant forums to stop filling up the general forum? (The Technology forum perhaps, and incorporate sat navs AND cb’s.) That would of course mean the mods being more on the ball to move stuff, or more mods as you current lot can’t be there all of the time.

Maybe a shake up of the forums themselves to remove some of the old stuff contained therin? Lately there seems to be a plethera of old thread revival, so delete stuff that’s over a certain age. This could perhaps stimulate new conversation instead of raking up old stuff.

There has been some good advice on here, even some things have surprised me as someone who’s been around a long time, but there has also been some drivel, or should that be dribble, but in the main, it’s a good source of fun and information, well to me personally, and I wish it’s continued success in 2014.

Happy New Year to you all.

Ken.

Ahappy New Year to all of the people who keep the forum going.

I agree with removing duplicate and ancient/inactive threads.

Best wishes to all who keep it going

Muckaway:
I agree with removing duplicate and ancient/inactive threads.

but there are some on here who like to resurrect really old threads for some reason!

0a.:

which banned/premod member are you then?

Why do people start so any “Happy New Year” threads? Why not post under one already started? I can’t be arsed reading them anyway…

^^^ I thought the same thing ^^^*