Another one down

Quinny:
I personally wouldn’t lower myself to an Aston Martin or a yacht in Monaco, but I’m sure if your that desperate Rikki, I’ll have a word with my mate Bernie Ecclestone. :laughing:

All in all I don’t think it’s been too bad on here in 2013, but what ■■■■■■ me off is the amount of people who can’t be arsed to use the search facility before posting. 2 examples are threads on cb and sat navs. FFS use the search button and let’s have less of the same repeated over and over again. :imp: Or perhaps these repetitive threads could be moved to the relevant forums to stop filling up the general forum? (The Technology forum perhaps, and incorporate sat navs AND cb’s.) That would of course mean the mods being more on the ball to move stuff, or more mods as you current lot can’t be there all of the time.

Maybe a shake up of the forums themselves to remove some of the old stuff contained therin? Lately there seems to be a plethera of old thread revival, so delete stuff that’s over a certain age. This could perhaps stimulate new conversation instead of raking up old stuff.

There has been some good advice on here, even some things have surprised me as someone who’s been around a long time, but there has also been some drivel, or should that be dribble, but in the main, it’s a good source of fun and information, well to me personally, and I wish it’s continued success in 2014.

Happy New Year to you all.

Ken.

But what you call advice others may call drivel or dribble but all in all ok

Hope we all have a good 2014

Rikki you getting soft in your old age :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Liked reading your rants defo more alcohol next time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m not a fan off social media I have no Facebook and have no interest in declaring what I’m eating for tea on twitter but stumbled across this site when I was googling some info on something. I’m glad I joined and enjoy reading through the"drivel" on here. Thanks for supplying a good forum and for free.

Alexa seems to suggest that TruckNet is in very serious decline, with a bounce rate figure up by 42.9% and a daily page view figure down by 10.89%.

alexa.com/siteinfo/trucknetuk.com

Luckily we don’t rely on Alexa-as that requires users of the website to have the Alexa tool bar added to collate stats- ( a system that web users are getting wise to - and rejecting- because of the tracking that the toolbar does) instead we use the accepted industry standard Google analytics backed up by recording the impressions shown via Adtech, both of which come out very similar

As flawed as Alexa is- it still puts us in the top 25,000 UK websites given the niche area we are in that’s not bad going :slight_smile:

Every week the stats for TruckNet are put into a marketing report to the board, including page views and unique users, trust me if they were in “serious decline” I would have been called in for a chat with no tea or biscuits provided long before now

Still the beat forum on the web for lorry/truck drivers etc. Happy New year to everyone, and keep TNUK running.
Cheers Dave.

Rikki-UK:
Luckily we don’t rely on Alexa-as that requires users of the website to have the Alexa tool bar added to collate stats- ( a system that web users are getting wise to - and rejecting- because of the tracking that the toolbar does)

Nonsense, Alexa doesn’t require TruckNet users to add anything at all. Alexa simply counts internet traffic.

alexa.com/

Not nonsense at all

Alexa could not exist without the participation of the Alexa Toolbar community. Each member of the community, in addition to getting a useful tool, gives back. By using the Firefox, Chrome and IE toolbars, every member contributes valuable information about the web, how it’s used, what’s important and what isn’t. Alexa returns this information to the community as Traffic Ranks, Related Links, and more.

alexa.com/toolbar?utm_source … gn=toolbar

Alexa Traffic Rank is traffic rank of a site. The traffic rank will be based upon 3 months of historical traffic data collected from the users of Alexa Toolbar.

dailyever.com/how-does-alexa-rankings-work/

Alexa was acquired by Amazon in 1999. Its toolbar collects data on browsing behavior and transmits it to the Alexa website, where it is stored and analyzed, forming the basis for the company’s web traffic reporting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Internet

To put this in much-easier-to-understand terms, the Alexa ranking system bases its ranking schema on the level of traffic each website receives from the number of people who visit a website with the Alexa toolbar installed.

businessopportunity.com/Blog … ng-system/

BIG QUESTION: But where does Alexa get their data from and is it reliable?
Alexa gets their rankings from the Alexa Toolbar, which people install into their browsers and it basically tracks their activity around the Internet, the websites they visit, and how often they visit.

but based on my first point there are very few data triggers that Alexa has to work off of that are not publicly available. They have no access to ACTUAL website data (only the owner of a website has access to actual traffic stats).
The traffic data they use is based on their toolbar, so naturally the more people that visit your site that have the toolbar installed will improve your Alexa rank (hint, hint).

waystoavoidscamsonline.com/how-d … ur-traffic

Harry Monk:
Alexa simply counts internet traffic.

How would it do that without access to every ISP/Router/server and PC/laptop in the world?

Rikki - 1
Harry - 0
:laughing:

The Sarge:
Rikki - 1
Harry - 0
:laughing:

That was quite a takedown!