Stockport, Cheshire SK3

Duration

Permanent

Date posted

19 April 2012

Pension details

Pension available

Description

Must have class 1 licence. Required for local and distance work. Duties include general haulage. Previous experience is essential. You will be given Driver CPC training if successful. Overtime may be available plus Saturday and Sunday and will be paid at £9.71 - £13.92 per hour.

How to apply

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0161 4398124 and asking for Transport Department.

Employer

David Bratt & Sons Haulage Ltd

they are always looking for drivers and you look at the wages there is no wonder

Not really worth it is it? Unless the government is subsidising a business thru tax credits like often happens

Here we go again! :unamused:

I went for a Class 2 job recently and the wage was £16000. No Weekends and no O/T. Take home about £230 P/W :unamused:

i am glad i have just been given £1040 a yr pay rise and i didn’t even have to ask !!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
oh and thats after tax as well

dinosteveus1:
I went for a Class 2 job recently and the wage was £16000. No Weekends and no O/T. Take home about £230 P/W :unamused:

Flippin eck, i was earning that back in 1992 FFS. :open_mouth:

“Must have class 1 licence. Required for local and distance work. Duties include general haulage. Previous experience is essential. You will be given Driver CPC training if successful. Overtime may be available plus Saturday and Sunday and will be paid at £9.71 - £13.92 per hour.”

This is the standard carrot-dangle (not dingle dangle!) that is made by firms trying to recruit which has even fooled me when I started out on agency. :blush:

You see the weekends & nights rates, think “Hey! - That’s for me, and you can stick your mon-fri days”…

Only the mon-fri days is all they’ve got, it’s all they ever had. They just wanted to get you on the books under false pretence. :angry:

With a full time job its more dangerous I would have thought, as you’ve got some explaining to do when you jack it in, and get in touch with HMRC & DWP to try and get your credits back, having had them stopped for the anticipated £500+pw wages which turned out to be less than £360 that magic number representing crap wages everywhere… :unamused:

This isn’t ADN Morrisons, Nisa, & Iceland is it?
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Umbrella alert! Be paying your employer’s stamp you will!
HmmhhhH!mm!

Gembo:

dinosteveus1:

Flippin eck, i was earning that back in 1992 FFS. :open_mouth:

You did well then, I finished in 2002 and didn’t get that for a class 2. I see these posts on here about low wages but surely it is better than surviving on handouts and sitting at at home? Maybe not? I dont think that any of us went driving for big money as, apart from certain own account companies, it has always been the poor relative compared to other types of work. We did it because we enjoyed doing it,though I imagine that with the working hours being less nowadays you do need a good hourly rate to make a decent wage compared to ‘my day’ when if you wanted more money you just asked for more work. Not knocking anybody, I suppose that the job has changed in the past few years and I am totally out of touch! :blush:

Pete.

If you don’t like how much they’re paying, look for another job and stop complaining for ■■■■ sake. What’s ■■■■ to you maybe good to someone else. I’m on £4.50 an hour (£6.28 after 7pm - 9pm) working in a warehouse 48+ hours a week , I’m due a rise next month of 25p and another 50p in another 3 months time. But I don’t complain because what I earn at the end of the month is more important to how much I earn per hour.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at near on £7 an hour but it also depends on the hours you do, there’s no use being on £10 an hour if you’re only working a 20-30 hours a week compared to 40 - 60 hours a week on £7 an hour. That’s before overtime & night out money. Like I said what doesn’t suit you may suit someone else, if you don’t like it. Move on and stop complaining. That’s my 2 bob anyway

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

£4.50 an hour , thats not legal :open_mouth:

Noworries:
£4.50 an hour , thats not legal :open_mouth:

Below minimum wage is it not?
My boy gets more than that at 16 year old serving mr bloody softies and chips to holiday makers :open_mouth:

I’m on an apprenticeship, the minimum wage for an apprentice is about £2.50 or something or other, I took the job because I couldn’t find anything else plus the company is a good one to work for…and offered more money too. So when people complain about low wages, I’m doing just fine. £200 a month goes to my parents and the rest goes on what I want to spend it on. So I’m not doing all bad.

Cheers

beer and mc donalds then, not mortgage,gas, electric,council tax, etc… :unamused: :unamused:

paullus:
beer and mc donalds then, not mortgage,gas, electric,council tax, etc… :unamused: :unamused:

Dont forget ■■■■ wrappers to :laughing:

paullus:

If you didn’t read what I wrote, £200 a month goes to my parents. Meaning council tax, fuel, rent, electric etc does get contributed towards. :unamused: The money that’s left over goes on anything I choose, Beer money when i’m out with mates, money for days out, money for a rainy day, driving lessons, shopping etc. For the record I can’t stomach McDonalds it makes me physically sick so that is out the window for a start. And with tomorrow being payday again for me I’m ordering myself a new computer that I wouldn’t have if I’d have been able to afford if i was unemployed or still at college. What makes me laugh is people slate those who are out of work and on the dole but if someone goes out to work for wages that they think is low they slate them for that too :unamused:

What’s funny is those that said I wouldn’t stick my job out are ones I’m proving wrong for the fact I still enjoy my job for what it is and I’ve nothing to complain about :wink:

Cheers

now then i can go down two routes with this

one is what would you like to know about said company ?

and the other is when are you lot gonna wake up and smell the coffee ffs seriously now have you lot not noticed there is a recession on and said company is doing what countless others are failing to do keep lads and lasses in work earning a wage now he’s not the best payer in the country but they are keeping roughly 70 people off the dole he is a fair employer and more tolerant than most and overtime is available more often than not and he is always willing to give newbies a chance so get off your high horses and give them a break

Sorry Jonny, I don’t and can’t agree.

Taking a job on crap pay nowdays means you’ll still be on that crap pay 10-20 years from now.
Those who say that won’t happen are just preaching their faith in the power of inflation to act on wages, which as we know hasn’t been the case for some time.

I won’t take a FT job BECAUSE they are being offered at 1992 money as some have already pointed out.
Indeed, you’re even worse off that 1992 money, because the deductions on £18k+ are a lot higher now than they were back then - in order to subsidise those earning below £18k that then have their money topped up to this kind of level.

50 hours @ £7ph compared to 25 hours @ £10ph means you get firstly a £350 gross wage, less all the deductions and just high enough for there to be NO top ups worth speaking of.
I’m the guy on 25 hours @ £10 - and I get to take home MORE rather than less thanks to all those top-ups.
I’m working 100+ hours a month instead of 200+ hours a month that’s all.
You get half your life back, you still get to do the 50 hour weeks when you are in, but you’ll pay hardly any deductions, and have over £100pw added from tax credits. There’s even your fuel costs getting to work halved right?

I’m married with one kid, not loads, so there’s no reason why more drivers can’t find a way to do the same as I do - One could almost call it “job share” since by working only half the time, someone else gets to work the other half, meaning two of us get paid £18k net quite possibly, rather than one guy merely doing it all, just to gross £18k less all the deductions, and depriving a second driver of some hours altogether! :open_mouth:

Once you’ve lost time out of your life chasing low pay for all the hours you draw breath, you’ll never get that time back again. Business relys on “self respect” workers to line their pockets, for without them we would see a return to workers being paid in accordance with supply and demand as per the true capitalist system. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the meantime, you don’t hold your breath waiting for the system to improve - you learn to use it as it stands, lest it use you instead! :slight_smile:

It’s very simple. If you don’t want to do it, don’t apply for it. Why give them a free advert if you don’t like it? :confused: