Another disappointment :-(

So…

First disappointment was with Eddie Stobart/Tesco-Donny. HR said they’ve got day shift but when i got to the site, waited for 40 mins for someone to see me and the guy said sorry no day shifts, Only night shift available. 1 hour of fuel and time wasted which is fine.

Today, at 3:15pm got a call from agency asking if i can start in 45 mins at Green Group - Rham. Extremely short notice but i got ready and went as it was urgent by the sounds of it and it was a chance. Agency said they take on new passes and he’s placed them there as well so i’m like yes buzzing.

Got there, answered questions on road signs and was half way through tacho and wtd questions and the guy said how long have you been driving for? i said i passed last month. He then was surprised. Went to manager and started acting/talking funny like i was an incompetent alien (even though they take on new passes). 2 guys then came up and said “Pass the papers over mate. You need 2 years experience to work here. Agency should’ve told you that”. Another hour of fuel and time wasted which is fine.

Rang agency and he said this is weird. He’s placed new passes there and they take them on. He’s going to speak to them and see whats up. He then said he’ll get me an induction there on Monday but i said no its fine. They rejected me and i’m a man of honor and dignity. Agency said he’ll send over a bit of money as i went on short notice as he was kind of desperate but i said its fine. I’m just happy he called me with the opportunity.

If they take on new passes and manager even said to me agency insurance covers them so its fine…why then say they need 2 years experience?

Only thing i’m going to say is, i hope they’re an equal opportunities company/branch.

So far not having a good experience but i aint giving up. I’m just happy i’ve got a class 1 license. Even if it never gets used.

Anyone selling any experience? how much for 2 years?

If they are offering to pay you for your time, never refuse!

You helped them out, turned up, at the least you should get paid for your time.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It’s not fine it’s typical agency ball bags! You want paying for the last place at least or agency are gonna walk all over you, set your stall out early [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Just tell em, you’ve got two years experience if you get asked again,…

Also if your in the Wakefield triangle, go and try Gee’s in Wakefield…

ibby730d:
So…

First disappointment was with Eddie Stobart/Tesco-Donny. HR said they’ve got day shift but when i got to the site, waited for 40 mins for someone to see me and the guy said sorry no day shifts, Only night shift available. 1 hour of fuel and time wasted which is fine.

Today, at 3:15pm got a call from agency asking if i can start in 45 mins at Green Group - Rham. Extremely short notice but i got ready and went as it was urgent by the sounds of it and it was a chance. Agency said they take on new passes and he’s placed them there as well so i’m like yes buzzing.

Got there, answered questions on road signs and was half way through tacho and wtd questions and the guy said how long have you been driving for? i said i passed last month. He then was surprised. Went to manager and started acting/talking funny like i was an incompetent alien (even though they take on new passes). 2 guys then came up and said “Pass the papers over mate. You need 2 years experience to work here. Agency should’ve told you that”. Another hour of fuel and time wasted which is fine.

Rang agency and he said this is weird. He’s placed new passes there and they take them on. He’s going to speak to them and see whats up. He then said he’ll get me an induction there on Monday but i said no its fine. They rejected me and i’m a man of honor and dignity. Agency said he’ll send over a bit of money as i went on short notice as he was kind of desperate but i said its fine. I’m just happy he called me with the opportunity.

If they take on new passes and manager even said to me agency insurance covers them so its fine…why then say they need 2 years experience?

Only thing i’m going to say is, i hope they’re an equal opportunities company/branch.

So far not having a good experience but i aint giving up. I’m just happy i’ve got a class 1 license. Even if it never gets used.

I did tell you on the other thread to tell the ■■■■.s what they want to hear, it sounds as if they were half way to handing you the keys as they wanted the truck away there and then,.and they maybe would not have checked your card anyway…you should have fronted it out, nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Even if they’d found out when you got back, you would have (hopefully) proved your ability,.and if they were stuck maybe used you again.
Agencies are the Anti Christ of road transport mate, don’t have any scruples, when it comes to them…because they sure as hell haven’t . :bulb:

biggriffin:

:open_mouth:
Do you not think the poor lad has suffered enough?

R420:

biggriffin:

:open_mouth:
Do you not think the poor lad has suffered enough?

Jobs a job. If you get a start,

You’ve been unlucky…

In the year and a half I’ve been driving (class 2 mind you) the most I’ve ever been asked to hand over my cards/license for them to make copies of. Half the places I get sent to don’t even ask to see these (I’ve been to maybe 20 different clients/companies). I’ve only been to 1 assessment, the rest has been ‘keys are in the truck, truck is over there somewhere’. As for ES - not surprising and somewhat correlates with my recent experience with them.

You should’ve taken the offer for induction imo. There is very little room for ‘honor and dignity’ in this industry and even less room for pride and ego, I’ve found, especially when working with agencies.

If you had your location in your profile, then you may get more help…I know of firms that take on newbies, but if you cant be arsed to put your location on your profile, I cant be arsed to help.
Simple really.

Tude:
If you had your location in your profile, then you may get more help…I know of firms that take on newbies, but if you cant be arsed to put your location on your profile, I cant be arsed to help.
Simple really.

Is location mandatory though? I note you’ve not got yours showing?

toonsy:

Tude:
Simple really.

Indeed, I don`t need a job though.

Tude:

toonsy:

Tude:
Simple really.

Indeed, I don`t need a job though.

True, but on the other side of it this is one of a number of threads where the OP has stated areas they’ll work/travel to so it’s not like theres no indication at all.

biggriffin:
Just tell em, you’ve got two years experience if you get asked again,…

What if they then turn my license over and check dates passed? the guy asked for my cards so i’m guessing he’s checking info and photocopying.

robroy:

ibby730d:
So…

I did tell you on the other thread to tell the [zb].s what they want to hear, it sounds as if they were half way to handing you the keys as they wanted the truck away there and then,.and they maybe would not have checked your card anyway…you should have fronted it out, nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Even if they’d found out when you got back, you would have (hopefully) proved your ability,.and if they were stuck maybe used you again.
Agencies are the Anti Christ of road transport mate, don’t have any scruples, when it comes to them…because they sure as hell haven’t . :bulb:

I know rob. The manager/guy on front desk asked if ive had my assessment and induction and i said no. Quesions then started from there. I got 3/4 questions wrong on signs out of 20 so may be that’s why he asked how long ive driven for thinking “as a hgv driver, how does he not know these signs?”

ETS:
You’ve been unlucky…

In the year and a half I’ve been driving (class 2 mind you) the most I’ve ever been asked to hand over my cards/license for them to make copies of. Half the places I get sent to don’t even ask to see these (I’ve been to maybe 20 different clients/companies). I’ve only been to 1 assessment, the rest has been ‘keys are in the truck, truck is over there somewhere’. As for ES - not surprising and somewhat correlates with my recent experience with them.

You should’ve taken the offer for induction imo. There is very little room for ‘honor and dignity’ in this industry and even less room for pride and ego, I’ve found, especially when working with agencies.

I’m praying things turn out like that for me man “Hi… keys in truck over there… goodbye” lol

If you was in my position you’d understand. They accept new passes but didn’t accept me. Agency has worked with them and has said hes never heard of them wanting 2 years. So i feet like they just don’t want me hence not wanting to go back.

Tude:
Simple really.

Location added

ibby730d:
If you was in my position you’d understand. They accept new passes but didn’t accept me. Agency has worked with them and has said hes never heard of them wanting 2 years. So i feet like they just don’t want me hence not wanting to go back.

Well, if you flunked the road signs/tacho test I can kind of see their point tbh.

ETS:

ibby730d:

Well, if you flunked the road signs/tacho test I can kind of see their point tbh.

I passed the signs test. Just got 3 wrong. Was half way through completing tacho test until i got told i needed 2 years

ibby730d:

ETS:

ibby730d:

I passed the signs test. Just got 3 wrong. Was half way through completing tacho test until i got told i needed 2 years

I think what has happened here is you have turned up after they have managed to get the work covered, so they have just used this as an excuse not to use you. Don’t rule out working for them in the future, just mention to the agency if you get sent there again that they have already messed you around once, so this is their last chance, before they can say the same about you

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ibby730d:
I’m praying things turn out like that for me man “Hi… keys in truck over there… goodbye” lol

The lucky ones say there is no arbitrary face fits recruitment regime in the industry.Who’d have thought it.No problem let us know when you’ve managed to just walk into an international job no need for any international let alone uk experience. :wink: