Another cyclist

Old Ford rounderabout,cement mixer and biker,reading the artical the girls dead,

google.com/amp/s/www.aol.co … in-london/

Jeez, that IS awful news.
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, and when you think you´ve checked em enough, check em again.
I know, I´m preaching to the choir, and I´m certainly not saying it was the HGV fault.
But ■■■■! We have a duty of care to look after people like this. The ones who come up on the nearside.

steviespain:
But ■■■■! We have a duty of care to look after people like this. The ones who come up on the nearside.

Agree to a point but I’d say they have more of a duty of care to look after themselves. It really is time that it was made illegal to go up the inside of a stationary vehicle. That was a general comment, not related to this incident since we don’t have any facts.

Oh I agree with you, Albion. Cyclists, especially in London, and ESPECIALLY in the City itself, are the most dangerous (To themselves) people in the world. If they followed the rules of the road, like we do, then some of these deaths just would not happen. If they thought about the consequences, just for a second, they wouldn´t do dumb, life threatening ■■■■.
Trouble is, they´d obey that new law, no pulling alongside the left of a stationary veh, the same as they would the one that says they must stop at red lights, stop at ped crossings, no cycling on pavements, on and on ad nauseam.

I´m sure that it happens every single day, hundreds of times, where the driver checks his nearside blind spot (with his nifty little blindspot mirror) and sees an idiot has pulled up alongside. Driver then calls cyclist an effin idiot but doesn´t run em over. We never get to hear about these though.
Most drivers, esp in cities/towns, are very aware of cyclists. Some drivers need reminding. It´s these “Some” drivers that make the news because they´ve forgotten the most basic of basic basicness of driving an LGV/PCV…mirrors and blindspots.

Don´t get me wrong, though. I am absolutely NOT a fan of the idiot cyclists who own the road AND the pavement.
In the last three days I´ve had this happen…
Scenario 1. Tuesday 07:00, walking down CHurch St for the bus stop at the bottom. mebbe 30 people on the same side as me, all going the same way. No cars on the road, yep NO cars on the road at all.
What´s this coming over the hill, is it a scary monster, scary monster.
No, it´s a ■■■■■■■ cyclist, full spandex, helmet, gloves, expensive bike. Riding on the pavement against the flow of people! I sad “hey, get on the road” He said “Eff off”
Wy the F he was on the pavement beats me, it really does.

1. Yesterday I was crossing the road, light controlled crossing, halfway across and I see a young woman still riding towards me, not even slowing down.
    Had I not stopped she would have skimmed past my back, just missing me.
    I stopped :smiley:
    SHe had to jam on her brakes to not hit me. She called me a jerk. I smiled and walked on. Bloke next to said well done.
    At least she was on the road.

Having to drive in London more and more these days convinces me that city Motorcyclists and pedal cyclists are complete and utter ■■■■■■

No regard for others let alone themselves, and why should we be the ones to be 'aware’ of these cretins when they cannot be aware of the anti social way they ride. Any of us that have to drive in this countries cities can reel off stories regarding incident after incident of cyclists running multiple red lights at junctions and pedestrian crossings,and yet nothing gets done about it.

From the most ardent of lycra clad road racing types to the short wearing bearded hippy type who ply their trade as despatch riders, food delivery, and cycle borne couriers, right down to joe bloggs who is riding to work in his shop/factory ect. They are all without doubt downright dangerous. if you point out to them that ‘red means stop mate’ all you get is a finger or a few swear words tossed your way.

Yet it is this industry that has to show all the care under the sun to these people who seemingly are intent on bringing their probably miserable lives to an end. Our companies have to take time to adapt vehicles to suit them, and we as drivers seem to be guided towards cyclist aware courses to understand their needs. The only thing they need is ■■■■■■■ educating!

Until these people are made to realise that riding like utter pricks can get them killed, then the death toll will keep rising. You can fit all the technology under the Sun to spot, warn and bring attention to the fact that despite the white noise buzzers, the illuminated and flashing ‘dont pass on the nearside’ warning signs, the proximity warning going off in the cab and the bright indicator lights with taped ‘this vehicle is turning left’ voice, the halfwit on the bike will still keep going straight at that junction as the vehicle displaying all of these warnings turns left and crushes them.

Sigh…

steviespain:
Oh I agree with you, Albion. Cyclists, especially in London, and ESPECIALLY in the City itself, are the most dangerous (To themselves) people in the world. If they followed the rules of the road, like we do, then some of these deaths just would not happen. If they thought about the consequences, just for a second, they wouldn´t do dumb, life threatening [zb].
Trouble is, they´d obey that new law, no pulling alongside the left of a stationary veh, the same as they would the one that says they must stop at red lights, stop at ped crossings, no cycling on pavements, on and on ad nauseam.

I´m sure that it happens every single day, hundreds of times, where the driver checks his nearside blind spot (with his nifty little blindspot mirror) and sees an idiot has pulled up alongside. Driver then calls cyclist an effin idiot but doesn´t run em over. We never get to hear about these though.
Most drivers, esp in cities/towns, are very aware of cyclists. Some drivers need reminding. It´s these “Some” drivers that make the news because they´ve forgotten the most basic of basic basicness of driving an LGV/PCV…mirrors and blindspots.

Don´t get me wrong, though. I am absolutely NOT a fan of the idiot cyclists who own the road AND the pavement.
In the last three days I´ve had this happen…
Scenario 1. Tuesday 07:00, walking down CHurch St for the bus stop at the bottom. mebbe 30 people on the same side as me, all going the same way. No cars on the road, yep NO cars on the road at all.
What´s this coming over the hill, is it a scary monster, scary monster.
No, it´s a [zb] cyclist, full spandex, helmet, gloves, expensive bike. Riding on the pavement against the flow of people! I sad “hey, get on the road” He said “Eff off”
Wy the F he was on the pavement beats me, it really does.

1. Yesterday I was crossing the road, light controlled crossing, halfway across and I see a young woman still riding towards me, not even slowing down.
    Had I not stopped she would have skimmed past my back, just missing me.
    I stopped :smiley:
    SHe had to jam on her brakes to not hit me. She called me a jerk. I smiled and walked on. Bloke next to said well done.
    At least she was on the road.

You should have casually pushed her off as you smiled and then walked away.

Having driven through London just yesterday I can tell you that no cyclist has obviously read the news on this girl.
They are an absolute joke on road safety, it seems they are in their own wee bubble. Yes you pass them giving them a wide berth then low and behold they are up beside you at the lights with their hand on the trailer inching long. Even at the lights they will come and pull into the front of you and wait for the green light. MIRRORS MIRRORS MIRRORS and eyes front back and sides with cyclist down there.
It should work both ways when travelling on the roads in london. Both looking out for each other and staying well clear etc. But no not for them, it’s just me me me. It will keep happening until something drastic is done like the dedicated cycle lanes with the small kerb segregation between it and the road in some parts. Totally separate both road users.
O the joys of the Big Smoke.

as soon as they put up the small kerb for the cycle lanes,then the ambulance and other emergency mobs complain to have them removed as they cant get through the traffic and cars and such cant pull over to clear a path.
the reality of your cyclist responsibility nowadays is that you cant polish a turd,except for the attitude problem brigade with their lubed up manginas and helmet cams.
they have no training,no licences,no registration,and no insurance.
they do nothing other than cause delay and irritation to other road users who pay plenty for the privilege or being held up by them somewhat similar to horses.
theres no need for them on the roads nowadays.
you can put under rn bars,and cameras everywhere,but theres no accounting for retards in your vicinity.

I drove past this about 30 mins after the incident, you would have thought that the cyclists seeing the carnage would have calmed down a tad but no, it was absolute mayhem cyclists everywhere without what seems a care in the world, it staggers me that they seem to have so little regard for there own safety and others!

At a standstill at the incident, i shouted over to one of the coppers that we haven’t got a chance against this kind of behaviour, with a look of “i know mate” he shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

Maybe the Major Mr kHan should remove his finger from his posterior and do something about the deadly street of London as it not only cyclists getting killed. Naw to much hard work then. I shouted at one numpty saying riding like that you’ll get killed. Made no difference what so ever.
Somethings got too give doon there.

steviespain:
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, and when you think you´ve checked em enough, check em again.
I know, I´m preaching to the choir, and I´m certainly not saying it was the HGV fault.

Well said that man! Its just a pity there were not more with the same attitude. Far too many haters these days that go out of their way to be awkward and aggressive.
Yes we have plenty of knobs on bikes but some drivers are just as bad and its the cyclists that are the vulnerable ones!
OBSERVATION works wonders.

Twoninety88:
Having to drive in London more and more these days convinces me that city Motorcyclists and pedal cyclists are complete and utter [zb].

No regard for others let alone themselves, and why should we be the ones to be 'aware’ of these cretins when they cannot be aware of the anti social way they ride. Any of us that have to drive in this countries cities can reel off stories regarding incident after incident of cyclists running multiple red lights at junctions and pedestrian crossings,and yet nothing gets done about it.

From the most ardent of lycra clad road racing types to the short wearing bearded hippy type who ply their trade as despatch riders, food delivery, and cycle borne couriers, right down to joe bloggs who is riding to work in his shop/factory ect. They are all without doubt downright dangerous. if you point out to them that ‘red means stop mate’ all you get is a finger or a few swear words tossed your way.

Yet it is this industry that has to show all the care under the sun to these people who seemingly are intent on bringing their probably miserable lives to an end. Our companies have to take time to adapt vehicles to suit them, and we as drivers seem to be guided towards cyclist aware courses to understand their needs. The only thing they need is [zb] educating!

Until these people are made to realise that riding like utter pricks can get them killed, then the death toll will keep rising. You can fit all the technology under the Sun to spot, warn and bring attention to the fact that despite the white noise buzzers, the illuminated and flashing ‘dont pass on the nearside’ warning signs, the proximity warning going off in the cab and the bright indicator lights with taped ‘this vehicle is turning left’ voice, the halfwit on the bike will still keep going straight at that junction as the vehicle displaying all of these warnings turns left and crushes them.

Sigh…

why should we be the ones to be 'aware’ of these cretins

Now you have the wrong attitude :unamused:

jakethesnake:

steviespain:

Well said that man! Its just a pity there were not more with the same attitude. Far too many haters these days that go out of their way to be awkward and aggressive.
Yes we have plenty of knobs on bikes but some drivers are just as bad and its the cyclists that are the vulnerable ones!
OBSERVATION works wonders.

I drive in London every day, i’m polite courtesy and never ever aggressive. I see idiot drivers, i’m not just talking about drivers making mistakes I’m talking about idiots being idiots BUT What i see more of every single day is cyclists choosing to break all the rules and have no regard for there own safety and the safety of others around them.

Its all well and good saying OBSERVATION works wonders but we only have one set of eyes, when you have 10 cyclists on your near side and another throng on the off side not to mention the ones pulling off the pavement then back onto the pavement, the ones behind your vehicle waiting for the opportunity to over/undertake the ones going through red lights the ones in your blind spot the ones cutting in from 2 lanes over the weavers and dogers, it becomes a little sketchy to say the least, places where cycle lanes exist seem to be largely ignored by them, they constantly choose the most dangerous routes through traffic.

This goes on day in day out, i am truly astonished that there are not more deaths on London roads and that fact has nothing to do with the cyclists it has to do with the 99% of our drivers doing a professional job in the face of the mindless fool on 2 wheels. But go ahead blame the drivers, everyone else does!

How many times have you been stopped at traffic lights close to the kerb and don’t see the idiot with a bike scooting up your nearside to be first away when the lights change. It happens a lot. Incidentally re another post on job adverts, I applied at a firm delivering wines and spirits to off licences. The first day ,the manager said get a mop from the cleaning lady and tidy up the mess by the tea and coffee machine. Half an hour later I gave the lady her new mop back minus any of the string at the bottom, she was very upset to say the least. Next day the manager told me to get a broom and have a bit of a tidy up in the warehouse. The broom was immediately given back and I was back home in under 30 mins.

Tragedy.

It should not be beyond our wits to resolve this problem.
Bikes used to have bells (I am very old)
Could they not be fitted with a short wave transponder and wagons fitted with receivers which could sound an alert to least advise a driver that a bike was nearby?

We have a warning voice outside that shouts “Caution, vehicle turning left. Stand well clear”

We have alarms in the cab that activate if someone comes up your nearside.

I went to York the other day, I had been sat at the lights for a few seconds with the warning voice playing as I had my indicators on. I checked my mirrors and set off forward when my cyclist alarm sounded. 3 cyclists had shot up my nearside and across the front corner of my lorry doing approx 20mph.

For the life of me I don’t know how they fitted past but it really got me wondering if they have a death wish.
I’ve seen loads of them whizzing through the traffic thinking they’re invincible because they’re wearing a helmet with a camera. One mistake by a car, van or lorry could quite easily kill any one of these cyclists.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Optimum:
Tragedy.

Could they not be fitted with a short wave transponder and wagons fitted with receivers which could sound an alert to least advise a driver that a bike was nearby?

Bellocks. Cyclists just need to stick to the rules, ride on the left, overtake on the right, do not pass on the left, don’t park in a blind spot or go through red or amber lights, stop signs and pedestrian crossings.

Wheel Nut:

Optimum:
Tragedy.

Bellocks. Cyclists just need to stick to the rules, ride on the left, overtake on the right, do not pass on the left, don’t park in a blind spot or go through red or amber lights, stop signs and pedestrian crossings.

Not just Cyclists,your also describing the average car driver

jakethesnake:
why should we be the ones to be 'aware’ of these cretins

Now you have the wrong attitude :unamused:

Do you drive much in London?? If you do you must go about with your eyes closed if you think my statement was arrogant.

Optimum:
Tragedy.

OR…
Mebbe we could adapt the idea into a kind of taser like effect on the cyclist, freezing em up for 30 seconds, like.
Make it so :smiley: