Another cyclist

Stubz:

jakethesnake:

steviespain:
Jeez, that IS awful news.
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, and when you think you´ve checked em enough, check em again.
I know, I´m preaching to the choir, and I´m certainly not saying it was the HGV fault.
But ■■■■! We have a duty of care to look after people like this. The ones who come up on the nearside.

Well said that man! Its just a pity there were not more with the same attitude. Far too many haters these days that go out of their way to be awkward and aggressive.
Yes we have plenty of knobs on bikes but some drivers are just as bad and its the cyclists that are the vulnerable ones!
OBSERVATION works wonders.

I drive in London every day, i’m polite courtesy and never ever aggressive. I see idiot drivers, i’m not just talking about drivers making mistakes I’m talking about idiots being idiots BUT What i see more of every single day is cyclists choosing to break all the rules and have no regard for there own safety and the safety of others around them.

Its all well and good saying OBSERVATION works wonders but we only have one set of eyes, when you have 10 cyclists on your near side and another throng on the off side not to mention the ones pulling off the pavement then back onto the pavement, the ones behind your vehicle waiting for the opportunity to over/undertake the ones going through red lights the ones in your blind spot the ones cutting in from 2 lanes over the weavers and dogers, it becomes a little sketchy to say the least, places where cycle lanes exist seem to be largely ignored by them, they constantly choose the most dangerous routes through traffic.

This goes on day in day out, i am truly astonished that there are not more deaths on London roads and that fact has nothing to do with the cyclists it has to do with the 99% of our drivers doing a professional job in the face of the mindless fool on 2 wheels. But go ahead blame the drivers, everyone else does!

I know exactly what it’s like and better observation from some drivers would help a lot. 99% professional drivers? Where? Stand and watch one day.

Twoninety88:

jakethesnake:
why should we be the ones to be 'aware’ of these cretins

Now you have the wrong attitude :unamused:

Do you drive much in London?? If you do you must go about with your eyes closed if you think my statement was arrogant.

Driven in London on and off since the 70’s and yes cyclists are a complete nightmare but I still think your attitude stinks and not one of a professional driver.
Drivers with your attitude add to the war in my book.

Twoninety88:
these cretins

They’ve recently got this completed.

road.cc/content/news/210781-kin … y-complete

No surprise loads of them don’t use it and prefer to use the now reduced road space that they’ve created meaning that traffic by default can only pass them closer than it did before or if not they ‘prefer’ to use this road instead.

google.co.uk/maps/@51.3933011,- … 312!8i6656

While the new ‘cycle way’ is being increasingly used as a skate boarding park. :unamused:

Which seems to confirm that their agenda is to deliberately put themselves in harm’s way as part of a weird reclaim the streets from motorised traffic agenda. :imp: :imp:

jakethesnake:

steviespain:
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, and when you think you´ve checked em enough, check em again.
I know, I´m preaching to the choir, and I´m certainly not saying it was the HGV fault.
But ■■■■! We have a duty of care to look after people like this. The ones who come up on the nearside.

Well said that man! Its just a pity there were not more with the same attitude. Far too many haters these days that go out of their way to be awkward and aggressive.
Yes we have plenty of knobs on bikes but some drivers are just as bad and its the cyclists that are the vulnerable ones!

I agree that there are too many people being awkward for the sake of it and that observation works wonders, however… You can’t look in every mirror at the same time and it’s pretty simple. One of the vehicles is 55-60’ long, by 8’ wide, 15’ tall; the other vehicle is 5’ long, 2’ wide and 5’ tall. I know which one I find the easier to spot.

You can think what you like Jake. I know different. I am ALWAYS aware of what others are doing around me. I, along with most other drivers of large vehicles are constantly reviewing the situation around us as we drive., to the point of actually ‘driving’ for those around us that are not so ‘aware’. Sometimes it’s our way of driving that stops others having accidents in the first place.

When I am driving through central London, every other week, sometimes every day in the truck, I always seem to be making allowances for our two wheeled friends to keep them safe. What I am saying is that it is about time those two wheeled road users actually started to consider us for a change, and by us I mean every other road user not just the trucks.

But they wont will they? they have NO consideration for others,and you must be able to see that being a driver yourself, not even consideration to other two wheeled users of their own ilk. Constantly jumping lights, riding through pedestrian crossings and sometimes colliding with people legitimately crossing on a green light or having the right to cross like a zebra crossing is rational safe riding?. When you do make a polite observation as to their behaviour you get flipped the bird or told to eff off, is that not the wrong attitude as a road user to take? I dont hang out of the window and shout abuse at them, even other car , truck, or van drivers cutting me up or driving stupidly dont get that. I just curse inwardly and get on with the job in hand, because to get wound up in that sort of situation does cause accidents and /or aggression.

Do they sound like professional riders to you? I have remained accident free for 44 years of driving articulated trucks so far, why do you think that is? is it because I drive to the road conditions and traffic around me, or because I have the wrong attitude to be a professional driver?

So please dont tell me I have the wrong attitude for this job.

I reckon we should bring back more of this…

IMG_0463.JPG

albion:

jakethesnake:

steviespain:

I agree that there are too many people being awkward for the sake of it and that observation works wonders, however… You can’t look in every mirror at the same time and it’s pretty simple. One of the vehicles is 55-60’ long, by 8’ wide, 15’ tall; the other vehicle is 5’ long, 2’ wide and 5’ tall. I know which one I find the easier to spot.

I hear exactly what you are saying and I totally agree. I just think some drivers act totally unprofessional and some could not care less about watching out for cyclists. I despise them as well the way they ride but I certainly do not want to kill or injure one.

Twoninety88:
You can think what you like Jake. I know different. I am ALWAYS aware of what others are doing around me. I, along with most other drivers of large vehicles are constantly reviewing the situation around us as we drive., to the point of actually ‘driving’ for those around us that are not so ‘aware’. Sometimes it’s our way of driving that stops others having accidents in the first place.

When I am driving through central London, every other week, sometimes every day in the truck, I always seem to be making allowances for our two wheeled friends to keep them safe. What I am saying is that it is about time those two wheeled road users actually started to consider us for a change, and by us I mean every other road user not just the trucks.

But they wont will they? they have NO consideration for others,and you must be able to see that being a driver yourself, not even consideration to other two wheeled users of their own ilk. Constantly jumping lights, riding through pedestrian crossings and sometimes colliding with people legitimately crossing on a green light or having the right to cross like a zebra crossing is rational safe riding?. When you do make a polite observation as to their behaviour you get flipped the bird or told to eff off, is that not the wrong attitude as a road user to take? I dont hang out of the window and shout abuse at them, even other car , truck, or van drivers cutting me up or driving stupidly dont get that. I just curse inwardly and get on with the job in hand, because to get wound up in that sort of situation does cause accidents and /or aggression.

Do they sound like professional riders to you? I have remained accident free for 44 years of driving articulated trucks so far, why do you think that is? is it because I drive to the road conditions and traffic around me, or because I have the wrong attitude to be a professional driver?

I have never said the cyclists were professional. I probably hate them as much as you but I did not like your phrase saying…‘why should we watch out for these cretins’
As I am sure you are aware that is part of your job as a professional driver and like I say there are far too many that drive unprofessionally especially towards cyclists.
They are CRETINS but so are some truck drivers but it seems sometimes on this forum they can do no wrong. :laughing:

I always seem to be making allowances for our two wheeled friends ( and so you should be ) We all have to make allowances for other drivers even some poor wagon drivers at times.

And by the way you talk as if I have never driven a truck. I can beat your 45 years!

Nature does what nature does, refines the breed, whatever the animal.

As fast as you can bring in safety measures to prevent those destined for an early demise from fulfilling their destiny, they’ll find a away to beat them and off we go again.
Darwinism in all its glory.

This isn’t just cyclists, there are people, some are idiots, destined and seemingly determined to be removed from the gene pool in all sections of society, playing with the equivalent of fire can kill but it never stops people so playing, some of them suffering as a result cannot be prevented.

rip to that cyclist…but looking at the picture of the scene…there seems to be an awful lot of room,the hgv wasnt over any lines…so maybe she just lost her balance…no amount of mirrors…no amount of redesign of cabs,its not going to stop cyclist being killed in this way…it can only be minimised…unless khan brings in a no traffic allowed between 0800 and 0900…and 1600 and 1800…or something on those lines…a cyclist only movement…and a no cyclist movement…or vehicle movements…yeah…that ought to do it.

jakethesnake:

Twoninety88:

I have never said the cyclists were professional. I probably hate them as much as you but I did not like your phrase saying…‘why should we watch out for these cretins’
As I am sure you are aware that is part of your job as a professional driver and like I say there are far too many that drive unprofessionally especially towards cyclists.
They are CRETINS but so are some truck drivers but it seems sometimes on this forum they can do no wrong. :laughing:

I always seem to be making allowances for our two wheeled friends ( and so you should be ) We all have to make allowances for other drivers even some poor wagon drivers at times.

And by the way you talk as if I have never driven a truck. I can beat your 45 years!

whatever, you will find a reference in there to you, that was the line ‘and you must be able to see that being a driver yourself’ I know you are a driver,of that I have no doubts. I have read all of your posts. In many you allure to possessing a better than average situational awareness zone when it comes to remarking on other peoples observations. That must be down to your extensive, better than mine career. You must have higher state of mental prowess that that of many posters you ridicule because of the way they put things across. Fair play to you Jake, you probably are the original driving god. This ends my part in this thread, you will probably want the last word though.

Twoninety88:

jakethesnake:

Twoninety88:

whatever, you will find a reference in there to you, that was the line ‘and you must be able to see that being a driver yourself’ I know you are a driver,of that I have no doubts. I have read all of your posts. In many you allure to possessing a better than average situational awareness zone when it comes to remarking on other peoples observations. That must be down to your extensive, better than mine career. You must have higher state of mental prowess that that of many posters you ridicule because of the way they put things across. Fair play to you Jake, you probably are the original driving god. This ends my part in this thread, you will probably want the last word though.

No,not really but I have learned a lot about you as a person along with your attitude because I never noticed you before on here. And just to put you straight, I am no driving god, or anything like that but yes I am far better than some of my fellow truckers that I see everyday breaking every rule in the book and driving like complete morons. There are good and bad drivers in all categories but sadly the good ones are becoming harder to find in my humble opinion.

When you two have finished arguing over bugger all :smiling_imp: i’ll chuck my tuppence in if i may.

I too have been at the game a few years now, when i started we had fairly low cabs with windows all around, though flat mirrors ruined the field of view somewhat but because the cabs were lowish (certainly compared to now) you could see more all around.

Then cabs started to get higher, i had British motors mainly which still had windows all around, the highest of which would probably have been Scammell Crusaders, but had good convex mirrors and decent sized windows.
One of the worse lorries i ever drove for blind spots was the Volvo 88, really high cab with tiny side windows narrow high set windscreen and no down mirrors, these were a nightmare to reverse let alone hope to see any cyclists up the inside, but they did have decent convex normal mirrors.
As times went by the rear windows vanished, but mirrors improved (sometimes too much because reached wardrobe door mirror jobbies on Volvos and MAN’s) and we gained universal down mirrors front and side.

However i think we might have reached the stage of having too many mirrors to keep track of the ever elusive cyclist who is determined to put themselves in harms way (and yes i know too many drivers haven’t a clue how to set mirrors up, using them for bird or plane spotting :unamused: ), and in the cut and thrust of the city traffic especially where you need eyes up your arse, it simply isn’t humanly possible to watch every mirror all the time especially at junctions as you start to move away because the second you check all the 4 nearside mirrors and the floor level NS window you can be sure someone will try to take your lane or cut in front from the offside, possible another bloody cyclist on a death wish or an Audi driver most of whom seem incapable of driving in one lane.

The big differences between now and back in the day:

Lorries looked and sounded like lorries, they looked and sounded lethal so anyone sensible didn’t want to get hit by one, the front bumper was a steel bar often with towing eyes, not designed to look soft and pretty but there to do a job, no side guards or smooth edges so you kept away from the bloody thing…for comparsion now look at a low loader, all steel girders and hard corners, they don’t seem to attract the cyclist because the look as dangerous as they are.

Cyclists were generally far more sensible, maybe because common sense was still allowed,and there were a lot less of them just as there were a lot less of all vehicle because the population was at a manageable level.
Cyclists didn’t have this sense of entitlement which seems to have been encouraged by various politicians pandering to their every wish for kudos and votes, down to the new think that in the event of an accident the cyclist is entirely innocent, not as this helps because in the real world an argument between a lorry and anything smaller the lorry always wins, the cemetary is full of innocent people and people who were deemed right.

Drivers have changed too, many should not be at the wheel of lorries and if lorries were like they once were they wouldn’t be driving them anyway, many drivers don’t respect what they are driving nor realise that the vehicle is basically a moving block of steel weighing up to and over 44 tons and anything that gets in the way isn’t going to survive.
Many don’t take any pride in it, and the worse examples (we all work with these) take no care at all and damage of one sort or another is a regular thing, usually unreported, they wouldn’t dream of cleaning the vehicle even the windows and mirrors, nor have the faintest idea of how to or why to set mirrors for maximum vision all around nor care less anyway, we see them every day out there, things so filthy you can’t actually see into the cab so what chance of them seeing the cyclist or pedestrian.

The big issue though is that we simply have too many people moving about on roads that were never designed to service the massive population growth of the country, and that population is going to need far more lorries and buses to service its needs as it continues to grow.
In places like hell, sorry, london, they ain’t going to demolish buildings to make the roads suitable to cope, because the economy (pause for snigger whilst thinking of the £1.7 Trillion national debt) is based on increasing property values and population increase for growth, the two obviously inextricably linked despite what they insist on telling us.

So were are where we are, cramming more and more vehicles onto already bursting roads, public transport wholly inadequate and bus traffic ever slower just as all traffic is sharing the same roads, so ever more people going to cycle to get about.

Whilst cycles and vehicles mix there are going to be accidents and many of them will be lethal, there isn’t the room to segregate and still service the needs of all the people or the city.

Absolutely spot on and well put Juddian.

The roundabout isn’t designed great for trucks though. One of those in which you have to take two lanes early if you happen to know it and you still sometimes get people cutting you up.

As of last news reports the lady did not die although some online activity in rather poor taste suggested she was

Serious but stable was the last report I saw and after one day it was out of the news!

The operator was FORS Gold

eastlondonlines.co.uk/2018/0 … eet-crash/