Another bridge hit for stobarts

AndrewG:

caledoniandream:
You wonder why foreign vehicles have no height indicator in the cab■■?
It’s something called standardisation, makes life easy.
No vehicle on the continent should be higher than 4.00 mtr or 13 feet 1.48 inches (for the ancient Brits still some excist)

^
This

Standardisation is what its about. 4m maximum on the continent and no one has to worry. My FH has its fifth wheel set extremely low and with the old Gronewegan and VanHool tilts we pull can get the height down to 3.85m. Will never understand why the UK govt allows such tall trailers on its roads, set it to 4m and bridge strikes would be history…

We need different size trailers for different jobs that ain’t going to happen is it.
Maybe if drivers took notice of their vehicle heights and the heights of bridges it wouldn’t happen.
Looks like even more training is required DCPC isn’t working :unamused:

dieseldog999:
Standardisation is what its about. 4m maximum on the continent and no one has to worry. My FH has its fifth wheel set extremely low and with the old Gronewegan and VanHool tilts we pull can get the height down to 3.85m. Will never understand why the UK govt allows such tall trailers on its roads, set it to 4m and bridge strikes would be history…

unless your the flipflop that whacked the one at 4.1 meters… :smiley:
[/quote]
As us brits can’t measure bridge heights right in metric :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So…what about car transporters,in euro land?
What are they like?

commonrail2:
What are they like?

rabouin.com/uploads/images/G … icules.jpg

I’ll get you some more pics if you want

commonrail2:
What are they like?

Generally 8/9 car 2 deck carriers, rather like our older designs with full length prime mover, the trailer often has a sliding lower rear deck so with larger cars they can extend the arse end out a bloody long way, lot simpler than our 3 decker 11/12 car carriers.

Carryfast:

muckles:
I doubt a foreign truck is required to have a vehicle height in imperial measurements in the cab, the same as a UK truck doesn’t have to have a separate registration plate for the trailer or various marking with empty weight and payload when they go to other European countries.

The issue of how much margin isn’t exactly the same thing as trying to put a 4m truck under a 13 foot bridge.

As for cross border compliance while I’d agree with the principle of vehicles complying with the requirements in their place of registration.That obviously doesn’t apply in the case of safety issues like complying with local bridge measuring systems.On that note a Brit driver won’t get away with hitting a Continental bridge because he doesn’t know the height of the vehicle in metric.In just the same way that a foreign driver shouldn’t get away with hitting a bridge measured in imperial here because he doesn’t know the height of the vehicle measured in imperial.

Alternatively mark up bridge with dual heights and get it right.

It’s all the EU’s fault really.
They say that International transport should run at 4m high, even if the domestic legislation allows higher vehicles. but I’ve never seen the regs state that in the Imperial equivalent.
so I abide by those rules in metric, when going under a bridge abroad, as does somebody driving a Foreign truck when they come here. So no wonder they ignore the Imperial and go under a sign that states 4.1m just abiding by the regs, should get rewarded for sticking to the regs.

Of course when I’m driving in the UK, I’m on domestic transport, so I abide by the imperial measurements, that is unless of course I’ve just got off the boat and I’m heading home or I’m heading to the boat, then I think that’s part of an International journey. So I then work in Metric and hope some council numpty can use a Imperial/Metric conversion program. I also change my sat nav from Miles to KM, so much to do, so much to think of.

Its the UK transport industry not willing to adapt, that car transporter is a prime example of what can be achieved. We dont have or need anything taller in Europe so why in the UK does anyone need a 5m tall plus trailer?? The taller they are the weaker they are and are far more prone to blowing over. Fuel economy is also vastly affected for the worse with trailers that even roof deflectors cant clear. Ive done general haulage for years on the continent and a 4m tilt is one of the most versatile trailers out there, top/ side/ rear loading and plenty tall enough for virtually any load…

AndrewG:
Its the UK transport industry not willing to adapt, that car transporter is a prime example of what can be achieved. We dont have or need anything taller in Europe so why in the UK does anyone need a 5m tall plus trailer?? The taller they are the weaker they are and are far more prone to blowing over. Fuel economy is also vastly affected for the worse with trailers that even roof deflectors cant clear. Ive done general haulage for years on the continent and a 4m tilt is one of the most versatile trailers out there, top/ side/ rear loading and plenty tall enough for virtually any load…

That car transporter is carrying 10 shoe boxes, try fitting 10 Mondeos or other footballers Bentley ized things on, it’ll be about 90 ft long, but it won’t cos they’ll only get 7 or 8 on and still get the height down.

AndrewG:

caledoniandream:
No vehicle on the continent should be higher than 4.00 mtr or 13 feet 1.48 inches (for the ancient Brits still some excist)

^
This

Are you seriously suggesting that there are no under 4 m bridges on the continent or here. :unamused: It isn’t an issue of bs ‘standardisation’ it’s a question of ignorance of the prevailing measurement standards here v there.That standard being imperial here. :unamused:

While yes reducing the height ‘limit’ for trucks here would obviously reduce the issue of over height trucks regarding 4m + bridges.

muckles:
Of course when I’m driving in the UK, I’m on domestic transport, so I abide by the imperial measurements, that is unless of course I’ve just got off the boat and I’m heading home or I’m heading to the boat, then I think that’s part of an International journey. So I then work in Metric and hope some council numpty can use a Imperial/Metric conversion program. I also change my sat nav from Miles to KM, so much to do, so much to think of.

^ It’s that type of bs thinking which is the problem not councils predictably getting the metric figures wrong.An international journey doesn’t/shouldn’t trump the requirement for complying with local bridge height standards.Here that means knowing the vehicle height in imperial and using it no ifs no buts.

Yes of course there are lower bridges in Euroland.
But the driver knows with a blink of any eye if it fits or not.
Because his truck is maximum 4 metre, so no need to question, if the bridge is under 4 meter it’s marked and the truck won’t fit.
If the bridge is not marked a 4 metre vehicle fit under it.

Years ago a British football supporter found out that there is no much leeway under motorway bridges.
On the A16 Rotterdam to Arnhem, he thought it was a good idea to stick his head out of the roof of a coach.
The car behind the coach got a nasty surprise as his head got chopped clean of his shoulders.

Most drivers use to dive in their seats when going under these bridges at full speed.

Carryfast:

muckles:

^ It’s that type of bs thinking which is the problem not councils predictably getting the metric figures wrong.An international journey doesn’t/shouldn’t trump the requirement for complying with local bridge height standards.Here that means knowing the vehicle height in imperial and using it no ifs no buts.

Don’t get me wrong coming from Norfolk I’m all for a measurement system based on more than 10 and bushels of corn, give many of my County folk an advantage over you lot with less digits. but Rules is Rules and the regs state International journeys run at or below 4m.

PS thanks for the BS, gets me another £5 to add to the £10 I got for guessing the other thread would get to 5 pages.
If you throw in a few more of your trademark words and phrases, I might not need to go to work tomorrow. :smiley:

Carryfast:

AndrewG:

caledoniandream:

^
This

Are you seriously suggesting that there are no under 4 m bridges on the continent or here. :unamused: It isn’t an issue of bs ‘standardisation’ it’s a question of ignorance of the prevailing measurement standards here v there.That standard being imperial here. :unamused:

While yes reducing the height ‘limit’ for trucks here would obviously reduce the issue of over height trucks regarding 4m + bridges.

Never mind any ignorance of the prevailing measurement standards, if the UK adopted the 4m rule there would be far less bridge strikes. Maybe not as i said ‘history’ but the numbers would be drastically reduced, certainly not on the scale the UK sees at the moment. Tbh i really dont see the need for 5m plus trailers, its a ridiculous height…

God yes, lets dumb the job down more, right to the very bottom of the barrel.

The more the job gets dumbed, the more dummies work in the industry, its ever decreasing circles.

caledoniandream:
Yes of course there are lower bridges in Euroland.
But the driver knows with a blink of any eye if it fits or not.
Because his truck is maximum 4 metre, so no need to question, if the bridge is under 4 meter it’s marked and the truck won’t fit.
If the bridge is not marked a 4 metre vehicle fit under it.

Great so we know that there are under 4m bridges on the continent and drivers know that a 4m truck won’t fit under them.So they’ll also obviously know that a 4m truck won’t go under a 13 foot bridge here.

pierrot 14:

commonrail2:
What are they like?

rabouin.com/uploads/images/G … icules.jpg

I’ll get you some more pics if you want

No…it’s fine.
I get the idea.they can’t carry much.

AndrewG:
Never mind any ignorance of the prevailing measurement standards, if the UK adopted the 4m rule there would be far less bridge strikes. Maybe not as i said ‘history’ but the numbers would be drastically reduced, certainly not on the scale the UK sees at the moment. Tbh i really dont see the need for 5m plus trailers, its a ridiculous height…

The issue of excessive height standards regards vehicle construction here isn’t the same thing as any driver possibly taking a 4m truck under an accurately marked 13 foot bridge because they don’t want to understand/respect imperial measurements.

IE the latter is all about bleedin ignorance.

While yes lower domestic vehicle height limits and heavy chains hanging in front of bridges would obviously help in all cases.

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:
Did he hit it Metric or Imperial■■?

By law you can only possibly hit a Brit bridge in imperial not metric. :smiling_imp: :bulb:

This won’t happen after Brexit!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

:laughing:

Munchkin:

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:
Did he hit it Metric or Imperial■■?

By law you can only possibly hit a Brit bridge in imperial not metric. :smiling_imp: :bulb:

This won’t happen after Brexit!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

No we’ll convert to metric so its easier to trade with China and India, a market of around 2billion (that’s US billion not UK.) instead of a little club on 500 million, that’ll show those remainers whose forward thinking.:laughing: