Another bad experience with agency

Did some work last week and a little this week for a different agency than I normally work for.

I agreed the rates before working, they’ve been on the phone to me today saying the rates were wrong, I was quoted the rates for ‘umbrella’ and not for ‘PAYE’ as I normally work, and I need to drop £1 / hr.
This is on work I’ve already done though, not on future work (which I obviously won’t be doing any of anyway)

Do I have any rights here? I’ve asked them to sort it so that all last weeks and this weeks hours are paid in 1 lump sum and only 1 payment to the ‘umbrella’ leach and then take me off their books, they said they’re not sure they can do that unless I don’t get paid this week for last weeks work - over £600 - and I’ve got a stag do at weekend, so that money is required.

Absolute thieving lying scum.

Not named the agency yet as I want people to read this before it’s removed by the mods.

I worked for an agency in batley a few years ago,worked a few days one week,was promised class 1 rate,when i worked it out they shorted me around £100 quid :open_mouth:
I put it down to experience,they rang me up a few times after that and they got a NO with a big smirk.
The thing with agencies is that if one stiff you there’s allways plenty more out there and if everybody did the same thing the really bad ones wouldn’t be able to get drivers for love nor money.

EAS - Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate.

big boots:
I worked for an agency in batley a few years ago,worked a few days one week,was promised class 1 rate,when i worked it out they shorted me around £100 quid :open_mouth:
I put it down to experience,they rang me up a few times after that and they got a NO with a big smirk.
The thing with agencies is that if one stiff you there’s allways plenty more out there and if everybody did the same thing the really bad ones wouldn’t be able to get drivers for love nor money.

I know mate, I’ve worked for quite a few agencies and am on a few at the moment - now one less.

I am very careful with them and always agree rates before doing any work etc since I’ve been stung in the past, but to have it changed AFTER I’ve done the work, I’m absolutely fuming.

The only other agency I’ve had this bad an experience with was 1 that arranged for me to go to Stobarts one morning, got there to find out I’d been cancelled, and the agency offered me £10 towards my fuel :open_mouth:
I got Stobarts to sign a timesheet to say I was there and it was cancelled and took the agency to small claims court and got my days money (8hrs) paid + costs

The haulage world would be a better place without these lying thieving ■■■■■■■■■ :unamused: when I started out I went on agency as it was the only way to get experience but that was 10 year ago and you was paid better and treated better by them then.
These days it seems from what I read on here is that they treat the driver with contempt and have the attitude towards them some haulage company’s have. It makes me laugh all the adverts you see in the papers and advertised in their windows, “due to a blue chip contract we require class 1 and 2 drivers with immediate starts and good rates of pay” blah, blah, blah when in fact it’s a load of old ■■■■■■■■.
All they’re interested in is having a large pool of drivers on the books so they can tell their clients how good an agency they are and that they can cover shifts at short notice. Also they charge their clients between £15-£20 an hour for them to have a driver for a shift but yet give the driver probably £8-£10 back and line their pockets with the rest.

From whats been stated you have a verbal contract in place, providing its worth your time you could write a letter / e-mail reminding the agency of this and give them 2 weeks to pay up or you will begin court proceedings. Costs although not always awarded on the small claims track can be awarded if the respondant (the agency in this case) rates high on ■■■■■■■-ometer.

If they refused to pay the agreed rate (even better if you have evidence of this but not essential) and you had made the effort to recover it then theres a good chance the claimed amount + costs would be awarded.

I’m only an armchair solicitor though… just sayin

The disputable agencies will go on the premise that there are Thousands of drivers out there who can be recruited, used for an unpopular shift, shafted on the pay rate not being the one agreed, and it’s OK if they don’t come back, as you just move on to the next one in the pool. The only ones that stay there and get all the work as those that are happy with crap rates, happy with being booked “only” for last minute jobs (which won’t get cancelled, because no one can undercut minimum wage!) and happy to be on umbrella, despite it being illegal below eight quid something an hour as well.

Interestingly, if you work for an agency and don’t have a mobile, they can’t lie to you that “OOh we confirmed the rate by text - didn’t you get it?” or “Ooh you’ve just turned up for that job we texted you to cancel - so we’re not obliged to pay you 8 hours” or "OOh you’re in the middle of something, can we ■■■■ in, and talk to you whilst you’re not really wanting to talk to us?"

If I’m at home, I’m available to be booked. If I’m out, I’m busy. If the job is for 24 hours or more away, then I’ll simply call in when I get home, but alas, that means it’s no point calling me for last minute work.

Ditch the damned mobile folks - They’re the devil’s instruments - make no mistake.

Look at everyone diddle the one held at the wrist, or walks around with one pressed up against their head all the time. Yup, one day too will come when it will be impossible to “buy or sell without the ‘mark’”. You can stick that banking text app thing right where the sun don’t shine - WHAT an instrument for stealing westerner’s money THAT is going to become!

Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, rthe name of the beast or sthe number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.
Rev 13 16-18

Not all agencies are bad. I’ve worked for the same one on and off since I got my HGV about 9 years ago, both part time and full time and have never had a problem with them. They are a small local indipendant agency in Exeter so I know who I’m dealing with. Yes the money could be better elsewhere but I’d rather work for someone I can trust than some faceless national agency that couldn’t give a toss if they dumped on you from a great height.

Maybe there should be a section on here where drivers could list agencies that have treated them right.

I just don’t get it, even if they have to lose £20 on your one gig or even a £100 in a week, then they can make £20 a week out of you for a year as you wouldn’t do one elsewhere. Thick as ■■■■■ some people.

My mate started working for GI in Hull a few weeks ago. He says they email you the rates and the job before you start so there’s no arguing.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
. Also they charge their clients between £15-£20 an hour for them to have a driver for a shift but yet give the driver probably £8-£10 back and line their pockets with the rest.

In addition to your hourly rate they have 12.7% holiday pay plus employers NI of 11%. If you’re paying an employee £10/hr it actually costs the employer roughly £12.50.

Out of that few quid an hour they make out of you, lets say £150 a week, they’ve got to pay for all the office costs - rent, business rates, phone, gas, electric, stationary, IT etc etc, the staff, the sales staff, their company cars and fuel for visiting clients, advertising, paying drivers wages when the client doesn’t pay and a load of other costs. The rent and business rates alone for a small 12ft x 40ft shop in my town is nearly £20k a year. They’re not making the money you think they are.

Conor:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
. Also they charge their clients between £15-£20 an hour for them to have a driver for a shift but yet give the driver probably £8-£10 back and line their pockets with the rest.

In addition to your hourly rate they have 12.7% holiday pay plus employers NI of 11%. If you’re paying an employee £10/hr it actually costs the employer roughly £12.50.

Out of that few quid an hour they make out of you, lets say £150 a week, they’ve got to pay for all the office costs - rent, business rates, phone, gas, electric, stationary, IT etc etc, the staff, the sales staff, their company cars and fuel for visiting clients, advertising, paying drivers wages when the client doesn’t pay and a load of other costs. The rent and business rates alone for a small 12ft x 40ft shop in my town is nearly £20k a year. They’re not making the money you think they are.

Really? Then why have so many appeared out of nowhere, and they all have audi’s and flashy suits - I know this is a requirement as they’re basically sales management types but is still bloody expensive.

As I’ve said previously, I’m not a fan of agencies and I’m not anti-agency either, when I walked out of my last job around xmas time, I went to an agency and had work the next day (and I’m still with that agency btw), but if they lie, steal and cheat from me, then I don’t work for them again and will do my best to make others aware of who it was and how I was treated.

I’m a very honest person, and tell things as they are, you can see this if you check any of the Maritime threads that I’ve contributed on.

induction 2day, i rang agy in question last night to ask if it is paid he said you be done in couple hours, so just bit my tongue and went 8am, anyway someone asked the bloke are we getting paid he said yes we are paying the agencies, so it goes on, at 1300 i got allocated to buddy up for a driver assessement so fine i thought so put card in, and got chatting and he says were going to oldham for a delivery, so i txt the agency to get back to me asap if im getting paid, they didnt get back while i did my walkround so took card out and went the guy was sound but was astonished that i didnt want to go any further, in my eyes they were holding back on saying i wasnt getting paid when i know full well that they were paid for the drivers na bud it was an ok job and wage but im not doing deliveries for free been conned too many times from agencies they made me think like this theyre rats

This country needs agencies…you need something to make the politicians ,the banks,and other assorted dross look honest.

as a driver who works in recruitment (awaits flack) i even when inductions are not paid by the client make it back up to my drivers by paying a little bit more for the first couple of weeks, i always try to be honest as i have been on the other side of the coin but too many drivers fall for the bad one patter!

iceman1:
induction 2day, i rang agy in question last night to ask if it is paid he said you be done in couple hours, so just bit my tongue and went 8am, anyway someone asked the bloke are we getting paid he said yes we are paying the agencies, so it goes on, at 1300 i got allocated to buddy up for a driver assessement so fine i thought so put card in, and got chatting and he says were going to oldham for a delivery, so i txt the agency to get back to me asap if im getting paid, they didnt get back while i did my walkround so took card out and went the guy was sound but was astonished that i didnt want to go any further, in my eyes they were holding back on saying i wasnt getting paid when i know full well that they were paid for the drivers na bud it was an ok job and wage but im not doing deliveries for free been conned too many times from agencies they made me think like this theyre rats

Yes, it’s bad enough that some assessments are unpaid when they just involve driving around the block, and maybe a blindside reverse, and couple/decouple in the yard, finished off by the official job interview.

If you are “going out on an everyday run” at said establishment, then if you are not going to be paid, chances are you’re not insured either!
Perhaps the yard thinks you are self-employed, and carry liability insurance that strangely, they never ask to see?
There’s more people trying it on here than just the agency I reckons. :open_mouth:

Every assessment I’ve gone out on actual duty on was paid throughout, often representing a nice long first-day shift at said yard. :wink:
Indeed, I find myself asking “Are we going to go out on an actual run on this “assessment”? - Because if we do, I know I’m going to get paid!” :stuck_out_tongue:

waynedl:

Conor:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Really? Then why have so many appeared out of nowhere, and they all have audi’s and flashy suits - I know this is a requirement as they’re basically sales management types but is still bloody expensive.

As I’ve said previously, I’m not a fan of agencies and I’m not anti-agency either, when I walked out of my last job around xmas time, I went to an agency and had work the next day (and I’m still with that agency btw), but if they lie, steal and cheat from me, then I don’t work for them again and will do my best to make others aware of who it was and how I was treated.

I’m a very honest person, and tell things as they are, you can see this if you check any of the Maritime threads that I’ve contributed on.

^^^^^^^^^^^
+1 This.

Well they aren’t going away anytime soon. Nobody is forced to use them after all. I’ve been at a few, some good, some bad, some downright useless. They are made even worse by their use of the umbrella companies but you can see that will be hitting the fan soon. The one I’m using at the moment has given me no problems so far, that doesn’t mean to say it won’t in the future though.

Their not all bad. I joined with 6 months experiance. Worked hard an it got noticed, been there a year now

On about 30k PAYE have garanteed income. Holiday and sick pay. Put me through hiab. Forklift and adr before end of year. And the jobs i get sent on are decent enough. Travel gets paid if its over 30mins away.

So dont knock them all

It’s quite baffling why drivers everywhere have not already filtered through to the few good agencies out there, leaving all the bent ones with no drivers on their books… Perhaps they might be able to fool everyone when the driver is first starting out with agency work, but over a year in? - I went through 8 in my first year, before settling with the 9th that I now exclusively work for.

Once the dodgy agencies start folding up, and don’t get replaced, there should be fewer agencies everywhere, and they’ll have to compete WITH us rather than lie to us if we are to adorn their books in future. Who’s going to believe things like “There’s crappy pay and conditions with us pal, or nowt elsewhere - cos the others are all like us” bull that might be used by a banker rather than an essential industry like transport. :question:

Why will there be less agencies? - Because not all of them have the infrastructure already in place to deal with getting everyone on PAYE for a start, that old Self-Employed scam via umbrella con being stamped on by HMRC and all that. :exclamation: