Another assessment thread!

Alright chaps, got my first assessment on Friday. Now then I have searched the forum already for specific advice but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with Martin bower in Basingstoke? It’s basically class one multi drop job I believe, it’s good pay and it’s a foot in the door so I don’t want to mess the assessment up. I feel confident as have been a class 2 driver for 6 years but only recently done class 1, I am very used to driving with trailers and never really had any problems with my reverse so I hope that’s alright, and from what I understand they aren’t so bothered about shunts (within reason) anyway if anyone has any experience I would love too hear it. Many thanks Jamie

Not specific to the place you are going, but most assessors just want a quiet competent drive with no alarm bells going off in their heads, they don’t want to feel themselves instinctively trying to push their hoof through the floor because the vehicle is jammed up the arse of everyone else and pushing to get out of junctions or flying round wet slippery corners like your arse is on fire, you aint going to impress one that way is for certain.

They want to see tyres of the car in front when you pull up behind them at junctions, good observation, no aggression but that doesn’t mean a timid drive.

It might be as well to ask the assessor outright what sort of walk around check they want and what they want to see on the drive, some will want every box ticked (but i doubt this will be the case at a pallet operation) these box tickers are rare but usually found at pedantic operations anyway and the assessor if he’s an arse will have it writ large all over his face and be enjoying their two minutes of power, some others won’t bother with a walk around at all.

I always ask if they want a test standard drive, whether crossing the hands on the wheel is ok and if its ok to lean out of the door for the on side reverse (its my way and it works for me), never yet had one with any objections to any of these.
Some will want to see a reverse in, but they won’t be expecting perfection on a fresh to you combination, so long as you can demonstrate overall competence they’re normally right as rain.

It pays to be friendly with these people, nine times out of ten if you have a chat with them they will advise the best and worse points about the job, obviously this is between the two of you and stays that way.

Good luck with it, be yourself take your time you’ll walk it.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, that’s really helpful! The chap I spoke to on the phone is the assessor and he seems spot on so hopefully should be good. I will ask him the type of drive he wants like crossing hands etc. I’m really excited about it but also a bit nervous as haven’t driven class 1 since my test!

Prepare for it like a driving test, but don’t panic that it is a driving test.

It is an assessment of your competence and safety as a driver. Will you bring the wagon back in one piece at the end of each tour of duty, are you likely to kill anyone on the road, how much damage might you do to the reputation of the company whose name is on the side of the wagon they’re giving you the keys to…that kind of thing.

Be sensible, be safe, be alert, be courteous, and be competent. That doesn’t mean Mr Perfect, just demonstrate that you’re a safe fair of hands. Remember, they’re clearly looking for drivers because they’re assessing you. The job is yours to lose with a poor assessment, or it’s in the bag with a decent drive. They won’t be trying to catch you out, or find fault with minor little things like a driving test examiner might, they want you to be good because that is one less driver they have to go hunting for.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the advice I will look at like a driving test and drive in that manor, I drive safely and carefully anyway but I wouldn’t count myself as timid that’s for certain. I have a few other offers as well (which I’m really surprised at being a newbie maybe this time of year?) but this is my main choice.

Another question as I haven’t used my tacho card in over a year or two (previous jobs were exempt) would I need to do a manual entry once I put the card in? Or nothing? It’s been over a year at least. Many thanks guys stupid question I know :confused:

I wouldn’t worry abut manual entry this time, possible the tacho will be different to what you’ve previously used and it’ll take you ten minutes of getting flustered trying to make head or tail of the bloody thing and then still ■■■■■■■■ it up, course if the assessor wants to see you do one and is prepared to talk you though it then by all means do so.

Juddian:
It might be as well to ask the assessor outright what sort of walk around check they want.

A complete one please? :open_mouth:
As I know if I asked that question, i’d be concerned that the assessor might think i’m really asking if a half-arsed one is acceptable! :laughing:
Think I’d rather check all I can think of, and ask if there are any specifics relating to the work I should take special care over…
i.e. Play the Newbie card showing willing and eagerness to learn…

MB will obviously be box trailers delivering to McDonalds, so hope you like the general public! :smiley:
Ash 001 did an assessment for them last year, so you could PM him: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=126664

But I think the advice you’ve already had sums up what I’d do…

I only passed my class 2 in July and my class 1 in August the only place I could get a drive being a complete newbie made me do an assessment shift so I had the assessor come out for a full shift as stated in the previous posts I just treated it as a long test to be fair the bloke was absolutely spot on and if I m honest as a new guy I found the shift so valuable if I m honest that one shift taught me more about all concepts of the job than the 4 days of lessons (in no way am I slating the company I did my test with I just feel what you have to learn for your test and the test it’s self is of very little relevance to the actual job your going to do)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:
It might be as well to ask the assessor outright what sort of walk around check they want.

As I know if I asked that question, i’d be concerned that the assessor might think i’m really asking if a half-arsed one is acceptable! :laughing:
Think I’d rather check all I can think of, and ask if there are any specifics relating to the work I should take special care over…

Thats fair comment Evil, it all depends on the type of operation and i suppose with the experience of the applicant at the time.

I’ve had in depth box ticking ops at places like Ar**s (where my mate of 25+ years of car transporter driving after 15 years of general driving failed his assessment because he didn’t tick a bloody box for something so trivial as to be laughable, better driver than they deserve to robotise anyway) to where i am now where there was no vehicle inspection at all.

Stanny_1985:
I just feel what you have to learn for your test and the test it’s self is of very little relevance to the actual job your going to do)

Isn’t that the bloody truth.

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:

MB will obviously be box trailers delivering to McDonalds, so hope you like the general public! :smiley:
Ash 001 did an assessment for them last year, so you could PM him: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=126664

I will indeed do a complete check (il ask first of course) good advice with specifics as it is a fridge which I have never used. I am not a newbie to lorry driving but to haulage yes. I have done recovery for 3/4 years and plant machinery when I was a tree surgeon (our own kit). General public really don’t bother me (recovery you meet all sorts) I did do some google earth research and I will take a ride down to their depot before hand as I like to be prepared. It looks like they use almost the same kit I passed my class one in which was a daf cf with a twin axle trailer so that’s a help, but I’m happy to drive whatever as that’s is one of the reasons I got the license in the first place… just hopefully not on the dreaded rigids (vans!)

Arborist:

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:

I will indeed do a complete check (il ask first of course) good advice with specifics as it is a fridge which I have never used. I am not a newbie to lorry driving but to haulage yes. I have done recovery for 3/4 years and plant machinery when I was a tree surgeon (our own kit). General public really don’t bother me (recovery you meet all sorts) I did do some google earth research and I will take a ride down to their depot before hand as I like to be prepared. It looks like they use almost the same kit I passed my class one in which was a daf cf with a twin axle trailer so that’s a help, but I’m happy to drive whatever as that’s is one of the reasons I got the license in the first place… just hopefully not on the dreaded rigids (vans!)

I assume you’ll be on class 1 for the assessment if that’s what they are looking for…
But I wouldn’t be surprised if I got placed in a Rigid to learn the job for a little while at the start.
Ask em mate and good look! :smiley:

When or if reversing onto a bay or somewhere tight in your assessment if you’re not happy about something don’t plough on just stop hand brake on and get out and have a look at the situation better that way rather than the assessor screaming STOP at you, good luck.

Thank you guys I will let you know about my outcome either way on Friday. Got my mod 4 tomorrow which i need to pass just to do the assessment however, hopefully should be fine (no pressure!)

Good luck. Smash it* :sunglasses:

• Figuratively, of course :laughing:

bald bloke:
When or if reversing onto a bay or somewhere tight in your assessment if you’re not happy about something don’t plough on just stop hand brake on and get out and have a look at the situation better that way rather than the assessor screaming STOP at you, good luck.

Definitely this! :smiley:

Passed mod 4 today 100% so that’s at least that out of the way with until tomorrow now :slight_smile:

Arborist:
Passed mod 4 today 100% so that’s at least that out of the way with until tomorrow now :slight_smile:

Good luck fella and congrats on the mod 4

Assessment day!

Arrived at the depot about 45 mins early (I like to be prepared). Found myself getting lost as it’s a reasonable size rdc and was told to get a card to let me in. Anyway got to the reception desk met the assessor who’s a great bloke gave him my cards and pass certificates and then told to take a seat to do a short driver hours test and road sign test. A bit harder then the cpc questions but only got 2 wrong so that’s all good. He was very happy with it and then outside to the truck.

So have to do a full walk round check of the truck… standard stuff you all know the drill lights indicators horn blah blah…

On to the drive, after getting very bloody close to the gate on the exit :blush: I was out on the drive in a wonderful daf cf. now then my assesor took me round the tightest places around Basingstoke… some seriously tight roads and I brushed a curb on one junction but he said it’s fine as it’s seriously tight. Driving about for a hour I’m trying not to stress myself out too much as I really want the job, after about 45 mins job done back to the yard! Way back was uneventful, then he says right it’s reverse time! Now I count myself as not awful for a new driver but holy ■■■■ the place was rammed and I had some seriously tight 90 degree reverse with trucks abandoned bloody everywhere… harsh real world slap right there, after about a 3 mins of very nearly doing it he said we would move to the back as yard as the bay needed to be used, was nearly in it at this point… he did say it was seriously tight and a bit harsh but don’t stress. Went to the back of the depot and had some more bays, went in with only one shunt was sweet as a nut this time.

The chap said overall my driving my good and my reversing was good for a new pass so I was happy. He said if I pass the interview they will put me on class 2 for 3 months then move me onto class 1. I find this to be fine and I’m happy with it.

Had a interview afterwards which was more of a formality and offered a job (which is v good money in my opinion) so went from a fresh pass and straight into a full time job which I start in January. No agency (except I will try get a few shifts over xmas for some cashola) I’m just soooooo happy right now… off out to celebrate now :slight_smile:

Well done :slight_smile:

Sent from my phone.