Another 40mph debate

Yep - that old chestnut.

But I am actually asking for an answer to a question I’ve often asked myself.

It’s aimed at the guys that travel at 40 on a single carriageway, regardless of the “standard” of the road/circumstance/distance/weather/etc/etc.

On another forum I use, it’s considered good etiquette that when asking other’s opinions, you should give yours first. So . . . . . . . .

Me personally . . . . . . . .

I’ll drive at a speed I feel comfortable and safe. Taking in consideration of the “standard” of the road/circumstance/distance/weather/etc/etc - pretty much ignoring the actual speed restriction, dropping my speed for (all) cameras/reduced limits.

That is; until someone has a look at me somewhere that I (in my arrogance) decide is an “unsafe place/condition” At which point, I’ll drop to 40 until they’ve either gone, or decided against it.

Reasons ?

1. Well, I’ve found that (in general) they’ll stay behind me, and not try a dangerous overtake, more readily at 50 than they will at 40. At 40, I usually find they’ll try some very dodgy overtakes.

2. I drop to 40 when I see a possible “bad overtake” because I don’t want the authoritaaays use the “If you’d only being doing 40, he’d have made it” when someone comes into my trailer wheels, or under the trailer as a result of trying to pass me on the brow of a hill, or blind bend. You get the picture ?

As result of my own ethos, I very rarely become “annoyed” if I’m held up by a truck in front doing 40.

That’s the limit, and they are sticking to it. I don’t have the right to ask them to move out of my way, or ask them to brake the law so I can do my own thing.

But . . . . . . . . . . . .

And here’s the question.

If you’ve driven along a single carriageway at 40 - because that’s the speed limit, why then do you, at the next dual section, floor it up to 56/54 etc ■■?

Answers on a postcard.

It frustrates me greatly. Personally. Mainly because my firm’s motors are limited to 52 :unamused:

I stick at 40 on a S/C, 50 on a D/C and whatever she’ll do on a motorway.

Sorry if I inconvenience anyone by doing 40, please send your letter of complaint to your MP, as I will willingly do 50 if the road conditions allow and the law is changed.

dambuster:
And here’s the question.

If you’ve driven along a single carriageway at 40 - because that’s the speed limit, why then do you, at the next dual section, floor it up to 56/54 etc ■■?

As I’m paid by the hour I’ll stick to the limit on the single and the dual but maybe you have already answered your own question. It could be they are just doing what you do and are driving at a speed they feel comfortable and safe. Taking in consideration of the “standard” of the road/circumstance/distance/weather/etc/etc - pretty much ignoring the actual speed restriction. It could be they feel 40 on the single is the max but 56 on the dual is safe.

On the other hand it could be they are just being arses.

as i get paid by the hour… i stick to the law.

i dont want to upset other road users, but the law is the law…

i get paid by the shift :frowning: but still dont speed on any road less than 50mph. truck only does 52 so tend to sit at limter on dc, as for motorways i cant even do the speed limit of 56 lol

ST3:
as for motorways i cant even do the speed limit of 56 lol

When did the speed limit on a motorway change to 56 then? :wink:

ST3:
i get paid by the shift :frowning: but still dont speed on any road less than 50mph. truck only does 52 so tend to sit at limter on dc, as for motorways i cant even do the speed limit of 56 lol

None of us can as the speed limit is 60mph

ah now thats the bit that confuses me. i was always thought 56mph for uk domestic trucks and 60mph european. now uk is europe im confused. if thats the case why limit trucks to such slow speed making trucks work that little bit harder at lower revs. only time ive drove a truck that done 60mph was back in army driving seddon atkinson

40 mph on single carriageway.

50 mph on dual carriageway.

53 mph on motorway.

For stretches of dual carriageway between two bits of single, I tend to cruise at between 40 and 45 mph to allow people to pass me.

The truck I currently drive will, according to GPS, do 89km/h or 55 mph flat out.

I now stick to 40 on a single as I have three points on my licence for not doing so in the past. :angry:
Does it only happen to me, but when I’m doing 40 on a single on a nice long straight with nothing coming in opposit direction there will be a car behind who keeps having a look but will not overtake until I get within 150 yards of a corner will then over take blindly. Happened twice last thursday :confused: :confused:

When i get a few motors behind me i pull in a lay by if i can…

I am a bit sick of drivers in here saying " sod em behind" i think its a bit childish.

I am also a firm believer that one of the car, van or whatever drivers behind me might be on the hurry up to a hospital or somekind of family emergency. I know thats not always probably the case .!
And i would bet that some of the law abiding citizens on this forum, if they where on the hurry up to get to the hospital to see there mum dad wife etc they would hope that the driver of that slow moving lorry would just pull over for a second they could get past…

I hope i have made some of you think ■■

dambuster:
Yep - that old chestnut.

But I am actually asking for an answer to a question I’ve often asked myself.

It’s aimed at the guys that travel at 40 on a single carriageway, regardless of the “standard” of the road/circumstance/distance/weather/etc/etc.

On another forum I use, it’s considered good etiquette that when asking other’s opinions, you should give yours first. So . . . . . . . .

Me personally . . . . . . . .

I’ll drive at a speed I feel comfortable and safe. Taking in consideration of the “standard” of the road/circumstance/distance/weather/etc/etc - pretty much ignoring the actual speed restriction, dropping my speed for (all) cameras/reduced limits.

That is; until someone has a look at me somewhere that I (in my arrogance) decide is an “unsafe place/condition” At which point, I’ll drop to 40 until they’ve either gone, or decided against it.

Reasons ?

1. Well, I’ve found that (in general) they’ll stay behind me, and not try a dangerous overtake, more readily at 50 than they will at 40. At 40, I usually find they’ll try some very dodgy overtakes.

2. I drop to 40 when I see a possible “bad overtake” because I don’t want the authoritaaays use the “If you’d only being doing 40, he’d have made it” when someone comes into my trailer wheels, or under the trailer as a result of trying to pass me on the brow of a hill, or blind bend. You get the picture ?

As result of my own ethos, I very rarely become “annoyed” if I’m held up by a truck in front doing 40.

That’s the limit, and they are sticking to it. I don’t have the right to ask them to move out of my way, or ask them to brake the law so I can do my own thing.

But . . . . . . . . . . . .

And here’s the question.

Answers on a postcard.

It frustrates me greatly. Personally. Mainly because my firm’s motors are limited to 52 :unamused:

It certainly is an old chestnut. I reckon i can sum it up in one sentence, it happens to all of us at sometime or other, and that is…“why is everyone in my way?”
I don’t know the answer though, but i’ll bet you do?!

Mike-C:

Actually . . . . . . . . no.

It’s a genuine question.

jimboy124:

I am a bit sick of drivers in here saying " sod em behind" i think its a bit childish.

Oh you made me think alright Jim. I’m thinking why did you typethis

I’m not sure what advice i’m gonna take from drivers here Jim, some think i should slow down and let them overtake, you think we should pull in laybys, I say yank on the anchors when you get tailgated, someone else says its dangerous and the tailgater is actually just trying to get on. Some people think a truck sticking to the limits is dangerous. You couldn’t really make it all all up.
I still think its hilarious to watch a truck behind me straddling the white line to see whats going on ahead of me whilst he’s two feet of my rear end!! Simple things i know !!! And yet whilst we al have this desire to ‘push on’ we all still complain about waiting to be tipped !! Maybe we’re all chasing our own arses?
No, hang on that came out wrong i meant all the arses are chasing…oh, i can’t remeber what it is now but it sounded good when i thought of it !!

dambuster:

Mike-C:

It’s a genuine question.

Oh, ok then. Well its a conflict between you , who wants to drive on the constraints of his limiter and a guy in front who wants to drive within the constraints of the law, and, in the case of dual carriageways where he will most likely get away with being a bit over the limit. Its not hard to fathom out. Everyone just wants to get on, just like you do.

Mike-C:

dambuster:

Mike-C:

It’s a genuine question.

Oh, ok then. Well its a conflict between you , who wants to drive on the constraints of his limiter and a guy in front who wants to drive within the constraints of the law, and, in the case of dual carriageways where he will most likely get away with being a bit over the limit. Its not hard to fathom out. Everyone just wants to get on, just like you do.

I don’t think I said anything about conflict. Nor did I say I wanted to “drive on the constaints” of my limiter.

I had thought of the difference between the “amount” of overspeed, but dismissed it, otherwise they’d be driving at 46 ish. I would have thought.

Or is it just a question of being prosecuted “just a bit” for 54/56 on a d/c ?

dambuster:
I had thought of the difference between the “amount” of overspeed, but dismissed it, otherwise they’d be driving at 46 ish. I would have thought.

Or is it just a question of being prosecuted “just a bit” for 54/56 on a d/c ?

Well i’m prepared for anyone to tell us different but i know for fact coppers in camera vans target hgv’s on single carriageways, take for example the A5, if you do 42/43 then you are done. No leeway, forget what guidelines you think they have you get done. I cant think of, don’t know, never seen the same scenario on a dual carriageway? Maybe some one knows a dual carriageway whereby they have camera vans and will prosecute you for exceeding 50mph? I certainly never seen or experienced it.

jimboy124:

I am also a firm believer that one of the car, van or whatever drivers behind me might be on the hurry up to a hospital or somekind of family emergency. I know thats not always probably the case .!
And i would bet that some of the law abiding citizens on this forum, if they where on the hurry up to get to the hospital to see there mum dad wife etc they would hope that the driver of that slow moving lorry would just pull over for a second they could get past…

well done jim my words exactly.

I stick to the limits on whatever road, mainly 'cos the boss has software on his computer that tracks each vehicle and its speed.
Over the limit gets me a verbal!

Mike-C:
Well i’m prepared for anyone to tell us different but i know for fact coppers in camera vans target hgv’s on single carriageways, take for example the A5, if you do 42/43 then you are done. No leeway, forget what guidelines you think they have you get done. I cant think of, don’t know, never seen the same scenario on a dual carriageway? Maybe some one knows a dual carriageway whereby they have camera vans and will prosecute you for exceeding 50mph? I certainly never seen or experienced it.

I’ve not heard that, but don’t dispute that you have. It’s an interesting concept.

I’m more of the view that if “they” are targeting HGVs, then they’re targeting HGVs

But - in the hope there’s not a misunderstanding going on, allow me to reiterate . . .