Another 40mph debate

dambuster:

Mike-C:
Well i’m prepared for anyone to tell us different but i know for fact coppers in camera vans target hgv’s on single carriageways, take for example the A5, if you do 42/43 then you are done. No leeway, forget what guidelines you think they have you get done. I cant think of, don’t know, never seen the same scenario on a dual carriageway? Maybe some one knows a dual carriageway whereby they have camera vans and will prosecute you for exceeding 50mph? I certainly never seen or experienced it.

I’ve not heard that, but don’t dispute that you have. It’s an interesting concept.

I’m more of the view that if “they” are targeting HGVs, then they’re targeting HGVs

But - in the hope there’s not a misunderstanding going on, allow me to reiterate . . .

As result of my own ethos, I very rarely become “annoyed” if I’m held up by a truck in front doing 40.

That’s the limit, and they are sticking to it. I don’t have the right to ask them to move out of my way, or ask them to brake the law so I can do my own thing.

Right, rewind to the beginning. You understand why they stick to 40 in a 40limit, but you don’t understand why they do 54/56 in a 50, i.e a dual carriageway? And you are somewhat exaserbated why you can’t get past them on a dual carriageway when you do 52mph?
I’l tell you again, police do target HGV’s exceeding 40mph on single carriageways. I know of now where that they target HGV’s exceeding 50mph on any dual carriageway. I know of no where they target any HGV’s for exceeding 60 mph on any motorway. Maybe someone else does, i’ve never come across it. So its should come as no suprise that they stick to 40 when neccesary and then speed up when they can. Thats it.

You’re right Mike-C.

I do understand why they drive at 40.

I don’t understand why they then drive at 54/56.

Speed limit on s/c - 40mph.

Speed limit on d/c - 50mph.

I’ve read your opinion. More than once. And I thank you for it. It’s one possible answer.

Mike-C:
Well i’m prepared for anyone to tell us different but i know for fact coppers in camera vans target hgv’s on single carriageways…

They sure do Mike - and I have no problem with that.

We have these stuck in our cabs: -

Contrary to what many people believe, the majority of Police Officers do know the limits. If you don’t obey them - don’t complain if you get done. Simple.

Personally I stick to what the law says is my maximum speed limit or just below, I will pull in to a lay by occasionally to let traffic past if im on a very long single cariageway but the downfall can be that you are stuck there waiting to get back out again luckilly
I dont drive on very long single cariageway’s. I there is a short duel cariageway approaching & i mean a short one I stay at 40 to let the vehicles behind pass.
I rarley do over 50 & that is because 99% of those orange trucks I drive are limited to 50 & that makes me the scurge of the motorway & I personally think this limiting trucks to 50 is dangerous & I can save more fuel by not driving aggresivly than a max limit can.

But the latest stories of hgv’s being prosecuted for speeding whilst sticking to or below the speed limit has got me thinking well should i keep at least 3mph below all speed limits to avoid prossecution due to a faulty camera, it did happen to me once but the camera went the other way showing me doing less than i really was.

Mike-C:

jimboy124:
I

Oh you made me think alright Jim. I’m thinking why did you typethis

I was drunk !

flying_fenman:

Mike-C:
Well i’m prepared for anyone to tell us different but i know for fact coppers in camera vans target hgv’s on single carriageways…

They sure do Mike - and I have no problem with that.

We have these stuck in our cabs: -

OR where any other higher limit is posted - I have had trainees who think that a 50 on a single carriageway means that is their limit instead of 40 :open_mouth:

I stick to the limits on SC and DC ,motorways are a different matter as the truck I ve just been give today is limited to a wonderful 50 mph ,thankyou very much network rail I dont think so

Andydisco:
I stick to the limits on SC and DC ,motorways are a different matter as the truck I ve just been give today is limited to a wonderful 50 mph ,thankyou very much network rail I dont think so

Saw a rigid co-op lorry today in Leicester which had ‘limited to 50mph’ on the back of it.

I’m struggling to get my head around this debate.

Limits are limits. Any time you over-speed you might be caught.

Every road is different, and every driver you share that road with is different.
And every truck has a different max speed set in it’s limiter.
And every driver will use his/her own methods to ‘make haste’.

Your answer is in one word: Judgement.

Use your judgement every 2 seconds to decide ‘what next’ and 'what if '.

Another phrase: Situational awareness. Your best judgement will determine
what you do next, and the consequences of those actions.

Remember, we never stop learning!

It may be to do with the ‘beliefs’ that each person holds - for a detailed look into this I suggest a new book called ‘Mind Driving’ by Stephen Haley. I’m about half way through it - fascinating stuff :slight_smile:

Out of interest, those of you who will go a little faster on a single carriageway road, i.e. space from you to oncoming traffic is not a lot, to minimal… Do you appreciate the effect on oncoming road users that a speeding truck has? Especially the more vulnerable road users?

I was nearly blown from my first (relatively small) motorbike by a truck clearly speeding, on the A15. I’d even tucked down to minimise the wind blast and “carriage sway”. It’s easier now on a fully faired heavier bike but still sometimes it’s bordering on dangerous. You can tell when a truck is at a behaving-himself speed though, not only from visual judgement but there’s very little pull or effect on the bike.

It’s noticeable in small cars too, and I’ve seen my trailer when empty lean in and get a weave on when the truck has gone, when on the A15 and ‘meeting’ and passing an oncoming truck.

And despite the death toll on that road, drivers still ‘use their judgement’ and go way too fast.

Too many drivers massaging their time sheets at the expense of their own and others safety these days IMO.

You have spoken perfectly Jimboy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

el gordo 78:
Out of interest, those of you who will go a little faster on a single carriageway road, i.e. space from you to oncoming traffic is not a lot, to minimal… Do you appreciate the effect on oncoming road users that a speeding truck has? Especially the more vulnerable road users?

I was nearly blown from my first (relatively small) motorbike by a truck clearly speeding, on the A15.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Aww diddums!

That’s it !! We should ban all trucks because the poor bikers are getting blown into the hedgerows !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No No, we’ll just clear the hedgerows and place foam rubber down to give the crashing bikes a nice soft landing…

Hat, Coat, Door…

You mean we don’t have to drive our trucks flat out?

Why did nobody inform me of this information?

206doorman:

Me too.

I was looking for someone to say why they stick religiously to 40 on a single carriageway because “that’s the speed limit” then increase their speed to 56 on dual carriageways where the speed limit is 50

dambuster:

206doorman:

Me too.

I was looking for someone to say why they stick religiously to 40 on a single carriageway because “that’s the speed limit” then increase their speed to 56 on dual carriageways where the speed limit is 50

EXACTLY
Most of the reason is because most of the 'sticky to 40s’have a small ■■■■■ and cause no one really takes them seriously in life and because possibly they were bullied at school,it gives them a overwhelming sense of power holding everybody up watching the queue build up and possibly sniggering to themselves in a deranged fashion.
then when it comes to the dual they then speed to 56 hoping that they can hold everybody up again.
its just a small minded game :wink:
but whatever floats your boat :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Rob K:

el gordo 78:

I was nearly blown from my first (relatively small) motorbike by a truck clearly speeding, on the A15.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Aww diddums!

That’s it !! We should ban all trucks because the poor bikers are getting blown into the hedgerows !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know there are some who don’t give a hoot, and they’d rather run ANYONE off the road than lift off - encountered them in all size vehicles… But I didn’t have you down as one such member of the dinky winky club :wink: :laughing:

So, joking aside, you feel no responsibility toward the safety of other road users, and don’t consider the effect that either illegal, excessive, or inappropriate speed may have when you encounter them?

bikemonkey:

dambuster:

206doorman:

Me too.

EXACTLY
Most of the reason is because most of the 'sticky to 40s’have a small ■■■■■ and cause no one really takes them seriously in life and because possibly they were bullied at school,it gives them a overwhelming sense of power holding everybody up watching the queue build up and possibly sniggering to themselves in a deranged fashion.
then when it comes to the dual they then speed to 56 hoping that they can hold everybody up again.
its just a small minded game :wink:
but whatever floats your boat :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

From my perspective I stick to 40, and maybe 1 or 2 mph more for good measure to allow a bit for speedo error - because not only is it the limit, but it’s safer for oncoming traffic, I get paid by the hour, and I refuse to needlessly risk the license from which I make my livelihood.
However, if for example I have a queue behind me I’ll pull over if reasonable to do so, or if I encounter a roundabout I’ll give it a few steady laps to get some people past.
When I get to a dual carriageway I’ll stick to 50 or a shade under, let the people get past. Life’s too short to faff about holding people up longer than necessary or to get any kicks from it… I’m doing a job, and people have places to go. What’s the point in making things worse than they have to be? I’ll do my job within the law and do my best to help other people along when I can. Fair enough deal aint it?

Thats fair enough.I think you’ll find your in the minority of possible considerate people on the planet.
That was’nt what I was having a pop at though.Its the majority of ■■■■ wits who just LUUUURVE the power it brings. :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: