ANIMAL FEED COMPANIES 70/80/90s

IVECODRIVER:
Hi Dave, look forward to receiving info on how to load pics on here.

Did you know Duncan , Kevin and Mick who were set up as “Teme Valley Transport” , would love to get any info or where they are , you might not know them but any info would be welcome, cheers Bryan

Here,s one of the Harris family wagons Bryan.
Cheers Dave.

pimmer73:

IVECODRIVER:
Hi Dave, many thanks for the info on Mick , Kevin and Duncan, if you see him let him know I am still about delivering Animal feed for Mole Valley feed Solutions at Bridgwater, would love to have a chat with him sometime. Cheers Bryan

Hey bryan i just worked out who u r !! I am steve who drives KRO bag lorry will av a chat when i c u !!

Hi Steve, not sure which driver you are cos don’t know all the drivers names at Huntworth, but will certainly have a chat when we meet up again whenever that will be cos work gone a bit quiet for me out of Huntworth as the moment . Me and my dad used to do a lot of work out of Dalgetys at Avonmouth.

IVECODRIVER:

pimmer73:

IVECODRIVER:
Hi Dave, many thanks for the info on Mick , Kevin and Duncan, if you see him let him know I am still about delivering Animal feed for Mole Valley feed Solutions at Bridgwater, would love to have a chat with him sometime. Cheers Bryan

Hey bryan i just worked out who u r !! I am steve who drives KRO bag lorry will av a chat when i c u !!

Hi Steve, not sure which driver you are cos don’t know all the drivers names at Huntworth, but will certainly have a chat when we meet up again whenever that will be cos work gone a bit quiet for me out of Huntworth as the moment . Me and my dad used to do a lot of work out of Dalgetys at Avonmouth.

hi bryan nice to have a chat with you the other afternoon sorry i was in a rush but had alot to do !! see you again for a chat

steve

while on about corn merchants does any one remember south shropshire farmers or known as farmore their head office was craven arms they operated some of the first commer ts3 two stokes and also 2 foden 2 strokes one 8 wheeler and one 4 wheeler.the 8 wheeler foden was driven by birt lane i think and he went to liverpool african oil mills every day and loaded 18 tons on his own you could put a straight edge up the side of the load he loaded two bags upright and then 3 layers on their side,another driver bryan from marstons of ludlow with a aec artic did the same every day.what drivers they were i dont think there is any drivers now that could do that.
good old times.

swain:
while on about corn merchants does any one remember south shropshire farmers or known as farmore their head office was craven arms they operated some of the first commer ts3 two stokes and also 2 foden 2 strokes one 8 wheeler and one 4 wheeler.the 8 wheeler foden was driven by birt lane i think and he went to liverpool african oil mills every day and loaded 18 tons on his own you could put a straight edge up the side of the load he loaded two bags upright and then 3 layers on their side,another driver bryan from marstons of ludlow with a aec artic did the same every day.what drivers they were i dont think there is any drivers now that could do that.
good old times.

I remember South Shropshire Farmers,then Farmore at Craven Arms.Haven’t Wynnstay got a depot in part of the yard there now.I know Jim Price machinery have part of it and the lorry park have some.I go past there regularly.
I also remember Marstons next to where Tesco is now in Ludlow.
As for handling the sacks,handling and lifting wouldn’t allow those two cwt sacks to be lifted nowadays.
Cheers Dave.

Here’s a couple from Norfolk.

North%20Elmham%20RJ%20Seaman%20lorry%20Apr1968.jpg

favor%20parker%20erf.jpg

Bud143:
When i drove for LTC we used to load at avonmouth quite often for wynnstay farmers in llansandffraid near oswestry.We used to got to hj leas at aston and congleton.NWF aswell near crewe.There was a place in crewe aswell but i forget the name.Then there was a company with light green trucks that had mills at holmes chapel and walton-le-dale near preston.

I do a lot of work for HjLea from aston , congleton and Wheelock(Sandbach) The Group is part of Morning Foods in Crewe now. HJLea is also now HJLeaOakes Ltd.
This incorporates Oakes Millars who were originally at the Congleton Mill. HJLea were started originally in 1675 :open_mouth: at a mil in Swettenham, there is a photo of it somewhere online taken very early around the 1900 i think and also one of the trucks loaded with bags in late50s early 60s…buggered if I can find them though.They occupy the old Dalgety Mill at Aston

The one you remember in Crewe was probably HST Feeds still going strong, their mill backs onto our yard.
The light green trucks from Holmes Chapel will be Massey Feeds also still going strong.

Yeah thats them toowise lol! Hated Aston you spent more time shovelling if you werent carefull!Did alot of oats across to morning foods aswell from New Holland.

gunnerheskey:
Does anyone remember Chas Draper Grain in Bulk from Leicester. Yellow with black writing red chassis, they used to run Leyland buffalo 8 leggers and T45 roadtrain artics .

Triaxle trailer on eBay at them min .

I worked for J.N Miller’s in Wolverhampton till they went bump in 1991,then others i remember were,
Staffordshire farmers had plenty depots, Barker Hickman at Upton Mill Shifnal, Griffiths and Simpson at Newport and Market Drayton, H+P Williamson at Endon Stoke on Trent, S.E Johnson at Darley Dale ( 2 mills ), as Mentioned earlier in thread Oakes’s at Congleton only short weighbridge so you had to drop your trailer to weigh, Farmore at Craven Arms and Wrexham, Smith and Morris at Standon Mill Nr Eccleshall and finally a mill at Little Haywood that was bought out by Massey’s ( welco feeds ) that i cannot remember their name but I’m pretty sure Rastone knows it!, Cheer’s Pete

heres a pic of my dads old F7 he had from brand new in 1979 working out of avonmouth mill it was his first bulker after nearly 20 years on bags ! semi retired was his saying ! anyone got any more posts or know of anyone who worked out of avonmouth or crossfields in bridgwater be good to here from you ?

Hiya …i did quite a few loads from avonmouth to aston cheshire. it was bags on pallets but we broke the top 4 pallets down.
i was working for a stoke company (in 76) there was a arrangement that if we was in the avon area we could load for aston.
i remember they had pallets that was about 5ft long.there are a few drivers on hear that have mentioned avonmouth,
i think you,ll hear more from them.
John

Hi Folks,
Bibbys of Ingleton used to have a couple on contract
to PYE FARM FEEDS of Lancaster until pyes went under

Cheers Malc

Two that spring to mind North Nott’s Farmers & Argo Feeds, Argo are still going strong at Penistone Nr Sheffield & another i recall BOCM or was it BOMC

Barker and Lee-Smith was another,from Lincoln.They ran Commers and the firm’s name on the headboard was in the shape of a cow.
Another piece of useless information… :smiley:
Silcocks and BOCM (British Oil and Cake Mills) were big concerns and the cattle feed sacks were ideal for putting over the engine cover of an AEC MK3s and 5s in an attempt to drown a bit of the noise. :laughing:

Hi Folks,

Cheers Malc

Used to go down to Calne on many an evening in the late 70s to fit/repair the tyres for Oldacres.
They ran mainly 6 wheel Mercs +8 wheel ERFs in those days.
They went on to have a Merc garage in Swindon- dunno what happened to them after that :confused:

I used to deliver molasses and tallow ( when I couldn’t get out of it ) to Pyes Lancaster,Preston Farmers and somebody at Langwathby Penrith and somebody in Silloth I always preferred to be on chemicals and solvents but everything was done in general purpose tanks then. I think there was two firms in Lancaster but memory is blank.
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
I used to deliver molasses and tallow ( when I couldn’t get out of it ) to Pyes Lancaster,Preston Farmers and somebody at Langwathby Penrith and somebody in Silloth I always preferred to be on chemicals and solvents but everything was done in general purpose tanks then. I think there was two firms in Lancaster but memory is blank.
cheers Johnnie

Aye so you don’t mind handballing 10 stone bags then!!! Dennis.

Should bring back a few memories, an old BOCM bag originally from the long gone Leominster Mill near Hereford, they used to be bigger than me nearly when i first started joyriding :laughing: