Anglo Greek

Although I have come back through Nadlac after loading in Rumo, it was never my choice on the way down. A country that was full of thieves at the time, not that Yugo was any better.

I never pursued leg-overs as a lot of drivers did, I had no trouble in waiting till I got home. All the better for the wait IMO.

Hi all YoungTurks name was Suleman something or other. Between my first stint doing M/E and then later doing Turkey for DT’s I heard that he had been involved in a car crash and that was how he got his scars. He was our agent on Bromilows and was good as gold IMHO.
Gavin

I didn’t think that Youngturk from Leicester was anything to do with the Young Turk at Kapik. just a nice idea.

I asked this question on my first trip and was told there was no connection, although by that time the young turk had disappeared from Kapik and you had to queue at the correct windows with the briefcases :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I didn’t think that Youngturk from Leicester was anything to do with the Young Turk at Kapik. just a nice idea.

I asked this question on my first trip and was told there was no connection, although by that time the young turk had disappeared from Kapik and you had to queue at the correct windows with the briefcases :laughing:

HI IIRC you always did have to queue at the windows yourself for most of the paper work (not like at Syria or Jordan) I cant remember what we went to Youngturk for normally when transiting ( some one will tell us!) probably paying taxes, he also open an office at Cilvegouzou(?) on the Syrian border but the service was not very good.
I always understood ( I’m prepared to be corrected)it was the same Youngturk with the transport company, (someone on here has said it was run by his brother in Leicester) don’t forget that the transport company was running a long time in Turkey before they opened up in the UK.
Now stand back and wait for the ‘flack’ :laughing:

Hi all, found some piccies which some of you may enjoy and remember.
outside one of the hotels in Glyfada on weekend R & R pity Mr McIver can’t afford a shirt

from the left Chinky Neville, Tiny Lee (RIP), Davy Johnson, Dave Boyce ACH (RIP) and I think the guy on the end was called Mickey, maybe somebody can corroborate this in a bar near Patras during Greek truckers strike in I think 1982

Micky Dunston, Georgie Ginn and myself in Calais
this says it all

myself (third from left), chap in front was called Mark, Eddie Nixon, Big Steve from Mondial, Rita Haywood and a load of ‘‘waitresses’’ from the bars in Glyfada.

as posted elsewhere on this topic by Gavin McArdle a similar view of the sinking bridge before it sank
view from sinking bridge up the canal

my transcon near the factory by the end of the corinth canal waiting to load in the morning

at the shell truckwash near evzoni
first time I’ve tried putting pictures on, I had to scan them on the printer all in one and I have’nt worked out how to lose the wasted space in between each and Lost is coming on in a minute so I can’t be arsed
Chazzer

chazzer:
Hi all, found some piccies which some of you may enjoy and remember.
outside one of the hotels in Glyfada on weekend R & R pity Mr McIver can’t afford a shirt

from the left Chinky Neville, Tiny Lee (RIP), Davy Johnson, Dave Boyce ACH (RIP) and I think the guy on the end was called Mickey, maybe somebody can corroborate this in a bar near Patras during Greek truckers strike in I think 1982

Micky Dunston, Georgie Ginn and myself in view of the sinking bridge before it sank!(http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/chazzer_phoCalais![](http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/chazzer_photos/006.jpg)
this says it all

myself (third from left), chap in front was called Mark, Eddie Nixon, Big Steve from Mondial, Rita Haywood and a load of ‘‘waitresses’’ from the bars in Glyfada.

as posted elsewhere on this topic by Gavin McArdle a similar tos/013.jpg)
view from sinking bridge up the canal

my transcon near the factory by the end of the corinth canal waiting to load in the morning

at the shell truckwash near evzoni
first time I’ve tried putting pictures on, I had to scan them on the printer all in one and I have’nt worked out how to lose the wasted space in between each and Lost is coming on in a minute so I can’t be arsed
Chazzer

Hullo Charlie,
Some good pictures there mate, wow! who are all those young guys ? Chinky, Dave Johnson, and Tiny Lee, Roger, and even you I wonder what we all look like now. That photo in Calais, both you and George are as I last remember, but Micky Dunston, grey haired old bugger, I never knew he was on ACH, I think last time I heard of him he was on Radclives. On a different note, I`m glad you are still here with us instead of galloping off to the States. You know it makes sense,ha ha.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:
Some good pictures there mate, wow! who are all those young guys ? Chinky, Dave Johnson, and Tiny Lee, Roger, and even you I wonder what we all look like now. That photo in Calais, both you and George are as I last remember, but Micky Dunston, grey haired old bugger, I never knew he was on ACH, I think last time I heard of him he was on Radclives.
Cheers, Archie.

Hi Archie, Micky Dunston :smiley: I never knew he was on for A.C.H., I do know that when he finished at Radclives he drove for Dow Freight, that’s when I took this photo :slight_smile: .
Orr Bless Him.

Regards Steve.

Mick Dunstan was on ACH for many a year – in fact he was one of the last ACH/Norbert drivers to leave !! Spoke to him just after Christmas & emailed him yesterday (no reply yet) !! He’s still on “Continental” & has just renewed is HGV licence — one of the old school is Micky, a great bloke !!
He came to ACH from Dow & before that he was on Radclives – in fact there were a few ex Dow/Radclive drivers on ACH…
Nice to see a photo of one of my old bosses – Des (Tiny) Lee, also a good mate I did many a trip to Greece with Dave Boyce !! At least in a photo they’re forever young RIP !!

Hi guys

Blimey that pic in the bar with the lads and the girls take notice who’s got the girls god I’m handsome wish I was the same now anyone know where Big Steve is now would’nt mind getting in touch

Roger(Rita)Haywood

sinbin31:
Hi guys

Blimey that pic in the bar with the lads and the girls take notice who’s got the girls god I’m handsome.
Roger(Rita)Haywood

Middle East ?. Believe a quarter of what you hear and half of what you see !. The rest is bull (zb). :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Roger, can you or anybody else remember meeting two English sisters who were barmaids in any of the pubs in Glyfada about 1986 ?. They came from Much Hoole near Preston and I gave them a lift from the National in Belgrade down to Athens.
Regards Steve.

Hi Steve , when you look at the rest of the reprobates sitting at the table the girls probably thought they were safer sitting next to an old codger called Rita :unamused: :wink:
Wasn’t the chap next to Rita the Steve that lived in Cyprus IIRC he put his truck on Cypriot plates to get permits. For some time I have been trying to recall his name but no luck?
Gavin

PS Steve I’ll let you use my signature---- it’s well justyfied :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Gavin

Hi Steve,
I can just remember those two sisters from Preston, they were working for Audrey in the Forge at Glyfada, two nice lasses but I just cant think of their names right now. One of them, the smallest one, was very fond of Bobby Marino, who subbed for George (Mondial). In fact the last I ever heard was that she came back to England with Bobby and they set up home together in East London together. Im sure somebody else will know more though.

Gavin, Steve did live in Cyprus at one time but I when his wife was killed in a RTA I have a feeling he came back home. I too cannot remember his surname, old age is no good, is it.

old age is no good, is it.

Colonel – when you consider the alternative it’s not so bad !! :laughing:

You are so right, Big Leggy. I find that my memory gets jogged when someone says something that gets me thinking of those days. We all viewed them differently, of course, as we all did the job differently. The Glyfada days disappeared when the loads out of Greece dried up and everyone either chased back to Italy or up into Rumo.

Colonel:
Gavin, Steve did live in Cyprus at one time but I when his wife was killed in a RTA I have a feeling he came back home. I too cannot remember his surname, old age is no good, is it.

Steve Partridge.
Dave.

hi Giuys

Yes Steve Partridge beat me to it ,and Gavin what a good looking old codger he was and still is :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sorry cant remember the girls names I think the one sitting next to me took me back to her flat and had her wicked way with me dont recall much about it to much vino ,just remember when I woke up thought where did I park my truck :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Happy days

Roger(Rita) Haywood

Roger, I think that might have been wishfull thinking and the vino affecting your memory!
chazzer

Hi Chazzer

OK then who’s flat did I go to, blimey and who did I sleep with :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: the mind boggles ,retzina does things to your brain along with the oozo better take another look at the Wife and make sure she is real :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Roger(Rita)Haywood