Anglo Greek

Colonel:
I would join in on the Middle East thread as I started earlier than most on this forum, being 72 now, in fact I thought the Middle East was dead after 1980, Shah deposed in Iran, Sadaam taking over in Iraq put a different complex on the operation.

Hi John,
I have been following some of your post’s with great interest and I am sure that like myself, there are lot’s of people on this site who would love to know about your Middle East memories. I would be really interested to hear about trips to Iran and Pakistan so if you can find the time then please share them with us.
As you mentioned Pucklechurch in one of your post’s, perhaps you can answer a question that was asked on another thread some month’s ago and never received a proper answer.
Somebody asked did Eric Vick ever do Middle East as their trucks still have Middle East and North Africa on the front.
I would say that they did, as I vaguely remember seeing two of their trucks in Turkey in 1980 but I am certain that I saw them a few times travelling through Greece.
Regards Steve.

Hi Mushroomman.

Eric Vick certainly did the Middle East in the early seventies, certainly to Tehran, as this was the destination I started my owner driver career on. If you did this run yourself, then you will know how tough it could be in the Winter, just getting through Eastern Turkey. No surfaced road past Yozgat to the Iran Border (Bazargan). Minus 50 at Agri and every day was the same ritual of trying to keep the engine running. The Turkish Tamyak was useless and I think the majority of us used to run with 25% petrol in with the diesel in an attempt to keep the motor going, but we all know that at about 2 0’clock in the morning you would be awakened by the sudden stopping of the engine.

This meant getting out of bed with all your clothes on, lighting the fires(Rags soaked in diesel in 1 gallon cans) under the sump and the diesel tank, not forgetting to take the cap off the tank, and then painfully and hopefully get the thing running again. It was the small pipes which went throught he sight glas/water trap and the filter, which had to be changed as I never ever successfully managed to de gel one of those. I had a Scania 110 Super which I purchased from Unit Commercials, Salisbury in 1974 for £8000 brand new.

Not many people realise that although one appears to be on the flat, that in actual fact one is on the great central Turkish plateau which, in itself, was 9000 above sea level and that is why the conditions were harsh in that part of the world. You will remember turning right at Horosan and starting the climb up Tahir, with all those tight hairpins and then the problem of getting 32 ton down the other side in one piece. How those villagers on Tahir survived in those conditions used to amaze me.

As you know waiting at the border in the normal queue, one had plenty of time to gaze upon Mout Ararat ,which did not look that high at sixteen thousand feet and that is because of being 9000 feet at the border. The Turkish side only held about four trucks in the fort like customs. so queues were inevitable.This was fine all the while it was single track from Dogubayazit, but then they widened the Turkish side in late 75 and then all the pushing and mirror breaking started.

Once through the border for the first time in days my back used to touch the back of the seat as the roads in Iran were so smooth in comparison. Once the control point/weighbridge at Maku was safely negotiated (Problems could usually be solved with a nice “Men Only” magazine) the problems were not over as there are some pretty steep hills, Marand being one. I used to stop at the bath house at Marand and for a small amount of money have a nice bath and rub down followed by the usual cup of chi.

Tehran had two customs, The South customs was where we all seemed to end up, the parking area was a dustbowl and the wait to tip could be anything up to two weeks, so what most of us used to do was grab a trailer that was lying around (There were so many as the Shah was buying like mad at that time) and I used to pop down to Bandar Abbas and load with bags of grain, straight off the sand. I could get 29 ton on my trailer and this was taken back to Tehran and weighed off and then payment was made in Rials. In fact after my first trip down, whicxh was turning into a disaster because of running on paperwork that was pretty mickey mouse, I stayed there for six months working internally, not only Bandar Abbas, but Korramshah as well where I loaded steel.

On returning to the UK I decided that it was essential that every bit of paperwork was in my own name, so I joined the FTA to enable me to have my own Carnet TIR’s and was fortunate that my bank put up the guarantee for this, as well as guaranteeing the Carnet de Passages for the Tractor and Trailer which I got from the AA in Bristol. Permits as you know were issued by IRFO in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and the only way round getting them when you wanted them was to have an arrangement with a local Taxi driver, who would pick them up and put them on Red Star to Kings Cross and myself, and later on, my drivers ,could call in and collect them on their way to the Ferry Ports.

The Middle East was a business to me, not an adventure and that is why I never ran in convoy. Yes of course I stopped at places met some nice guys, also met some braindead idiots who had no bottle whatsoever, even frightened to cross from Europe into Asia. Stuck at the Londra getting drunk on Efes. If a truck was dumped one could guarantee that it was English. When we crossed by the ferry from Eminonou to Hyderpasha the Harem Hotel was the magnet, but for me it was straight on with the job. When the bridge opened as you will know there was not even a road up to it, we had to go via the stadium to get to it.

I could ramble on for hours about my experiences, I am glad that I did not become a legend, that would have bored me to death. I know who could do the job, I also know who talked a good job.

Hi john, we met a few times at Bryan Bros when I bought my Transcon, thats where I also met Leo the first time. I was about to post on the Astran site to ask if anyone remembered your company but I couldn’t remember the name.Whether we met after that I don’t know, I subbed for Jeffery Bromilow on tippers for about a year then when he started M/E I subbed from 1975 until Xmas (I think) 1980 . Then I found my own work running all over until I packed in international work at Xmas 1976 or 7.
Mushroomman Eric Vick did do M/E I met his drivers in Baghdad in 77/78/79,he also did North Africa back in the 70’s I think.
A&D Forsey from Weston-super-Mare had the contract to supply all the American basses from North Devon meat they used to do Algeria (and Incerlic Adana) I remember a good friend of mine ( Buck Harding RIP ) telling me they used the same ferry.
Gavin

I bought my Transcons at Bryan Bros, the first two were S plate and I bought three new ones on a T plate the following year.My drivers were, Alan Hill, Graham McKenna, Gerry Holmes and Leo for three trips. I still used to drive my 110 Scania and I also hired in from Gullivers truck hire when I needed extra trucks.

Hi John, a photo of the mediterranean sky with the side loading door waiting to load at Ancona.I still remember the ship’s officer who would guide you back in the hold, how he would push your mirrors in and tell you to watch him and do as he said or else. You alway’s ended up exactly where he wanted you and could not fault his instructions. By the time you had parked in the hold the sweat would be running off you.

We must of met up at one time or another as i also worked out of John Bones yard in Braintree, where as you know Steve Grey done Brians repairs.
Regards Jamie.

A Scot lost in the Valley’s.

Hi M&C Jamie,
What a good photo of that Ferry, we were always on that either the Sea or the Sky. Have you any more please. That bloke that you rember backing you down the wings the ship, if he had a tash and looked a bit like Omar Sharif, then that was George he was the 1st Mate, and yes he was absolutely spot on wasnt he. But you still had to be careful, stay in the cab until the next one gets backed down, because the guys at the back end werent too careful, they were looking at the trailer at eye level and never looking up, a couple of times I´ve had to holler at them to stop them backing into my Sun visor. As you will remember we were always packed right up tight. Great though eh?

Hi Archie, that was the one, alway’s very smart . He was often outside the little bar in front of where the ship is docked, before he started loading the trucks and was pleasant to speak to, until he was loading you on board and then he was the boss and woe betide you if you lifted your eyes off him or didnt do what he told you. I could loose more sweat parking on board than on the whole trip. I often wonder what the temperature was in that hold in the summertime especially with a full load of paint and thinners in the trailer. How did we get away with it with all those passengers on board and nobody seemed to care. So much for Health and Safety. Regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.

Hi John, thanks for another interesting post and for clarifying the Eric Vick enquiry.
Unfortunately, I never had the chance of going to Iran as the Ayatollah had closed the border the year before and confiscated most of the British trucks that were delivering there at the time. Sivas east of Ankara was the furthest place east that I drove but I was lucky enough to work with two guys who had driven to Pakistan two years before and I was fascinated by what they told me about driving through The Khyber Pass.
Apparently the regimental badges of all The British Regiment’s that were stationed there are carved into the sandstone cliff’s. It was something that I always wanted to see for myself but you dont get everything that you want in life and it makes you appreciate what you have got and what you have had.
As regards the cold, I dont think that I have ever experienced temperatures so low as you but I do remember buying diesel additive in West Germany and Austria and saving it for places that were much colder. When the diesel started to turn to jelly then I seem to remember putting in 10% petrol on a few occasions. As you mentioned John, lighting a fire underneath the fuel tanks and changing the fuel filters were the only solution to the problem and hopefully your trailer brakes hadn’t frozen on while you were parked up or you had to get your blow lamp out if you had one.
I do remember seeing an English driver who had been parked on The National Hotel in Belgrade for two day’s. His diesel had gelled up, he lit a fire underneath his fuel tanks as somebody had told him but had forgotten to mention about taking the fuel cap off. The result being that the tank split along the welded seam, he was quick enough to kick the fire away from under the tank before the fuel had spilt on to the fire.
We all did the job differently John for one reason or another, so my way to some people may not of seemed the best. As you said, Middle East to you was your business not an adventure.
To me it was a job and the adventure was a bonus and my only regret was not taking the time to see places like Troy, Ephesus, The Parthanon and some more of Istanbul while I had the chance.
Regards Steve.

Mushroomman,

We must all have regrets about wht we did and didn’t do at the time, but as you say, there is nothing we can do about it at all now.

I am just pleased that I was driving at a time when the Midle East work began as it was an experience that will always be in my memory. Everyoine seemed to jump on the bandwagon but many found to their cost that good drivers were the most important part. Unfortunately the English were pretty poor when it came to fulfilling an obligation to get the load to the destination and get it home in one piece.

It seems to me, reading this forum, that there are so many so called legends, some of the names bandied about are people who would never have driven for me as I know different.

The Middle East work was full of half a trip Johns.

It looks as though you have found a nice little place to retire to and I wish you well.

GDay Mushroomman, Steve talking about unfreezing a Motor reminds me of the one and only trip that I was ever in trouble like that. I had reloaded in Volos with Cotton and was in Yugo on my way home. I had filled up at Evzoni, obviously with crap fuel, all went well for a few kilometers then just as night was falling it started to really snow, and then about ten kilometers short of Vranje it started, the old girl began missing and ■■■■■■■ then stopped. I was able to pull off the road a bit, I changed all the filters, they were well waxed up, then with it back together again I tried to start it, it was no good the fuel was by this time semi solid. Dave Hogg on his first trip abroad with his dads forman driver showing him the ropes stopped, but only to ask if I was OK, they said sorry but they could^nt stop as they werer in a hurry. Great. Then I started a fire underneath the main tank, took the cap off and waited for the fuel to warm up and flow, it was a slow process so I added a bit more fuel to the tin with the fire in it, Ooops! too much, there was a sudden great flame, I jumped out of the way OK but all the plastic pipes didnt, they all melted in the heat. Fantastic, I was now nearly frozen to death, dirty, tired and hungry. Then along came old Vick (The Colonel : sorry not you John, but another one) in one of Lister Carters(CJE) trucks, I got a lift with him up to the Motel in Vranje and got a good nights sleep. I managed to find a local mechanic by the name of Korky? He was able to get me some more plastic tubing of various sizes, and some joiners and olives, off we went to my truck. More problems, some bas***d had smashed the passenger and stolen all my tools from the footwell where Id left them ( why didnt I put them back in the trailer box?) . Anyway we managed to put together all the different pipes, changed all the filters again and gave it a go, Great it fired up after about twenty five goes, we then moved it up to the Motel in Vranje. About an hour later after paying him and having a coffee we went outside, I got in tried to start it, Nothing, Korky got in tried to start it Nothing. The Starter Motor had jammed, bashed it with the hammer, checked the wiring, no good, so took it off, Oh dear! (or words to that effect) the blasted thing was burned out. Korky took it away and reappeared the next day with half of the DAF started motor and added and modified bits from a Maggie Deutch Starter. Great, I was then on my way, by this time although snowy it was pretty nice weather, up all through Nis, Belgrade, and the rest of Yugo was fine, into Austria all troubles forgotten it was good to be rolling along. Just before Paulines as I came out of the tunnel, I lost a gear, I managed to get down the slope , rolling freewheel , and get parked up in front of the cafe, my Clutch had split. Pauline was able to put me in touch with a one man Garage just up the road, he came and towed me in. Next door to the Garage was a really fantastic Gasthus, so I was at least comfortable. Two days later, after a sizable bill was paid, I was on my way home, I got the new passenger window from a scrap yard at home. Good old memories of good old days.
Cheers, Archie.

great tale archie - thanks for posting

Archie Paice:
Dave Hogg on his first trip abroad with his dad`s forman driver showing him the ropes stopped, but only to ask if I was OK, they said sorry but they could^nt stop as they werer in a hurry. Great.

good to know he don’t change :unamused:

Hi John,
I just wondered when you went back to the U.K. in 1983, you mentioned that you did a trip down to Izmir for O.H.S. would that by any chance have been in the winter ?.
The reason why I ask is that I met an O.H.S. driver north of Zagreb one snowy winters night as the road had been blocked for about four hours. He had been stopped earlier that evening by the Yugo police for allegedly “ speedink ” .
One of the policemen climbed into the passenger side of the cab and after a fine of 100 Yugo Dinar and no factura and one pakky cigerreten he was allowed to go on his way.
It was only after he stopped a couple of hours later that he discovered that the policeman had left his torch on the floor of the passenger side. I remember that he was feeling really pleased with himself when he was showing it to me and it was the best torch that I had ever seen at the time. It was the size of a small car battery with a small sized headlamp at the front, it was fairly heavy but very effective. If you remember at the time most drivers had one of those ex army torches with the right angle lens, this ex Yugo police torch was the mother of all torches and I think that this driver may have been back loading in Nova Gorica or in Italy.
I mentioned this John because if you were by any chance that driver then I think that you might recall the incident. For some reason I think he had a Volvo F12 but it may have been a Mack.
He did tell me and hopefully you can set the record straight, that Sooty ( Mr Surtel ) was married to the daughter of one of the Mack Trucks directors and that was one of the reasons why they had a fleet of Mack’s.
Was Sooty Turkish John ? And what was the connection between O.H.S. and United Transport, if any ?.
Please let us hear more of your experiences about the early day’s of Middle East transport particularly memories about Iran, like I have already mentioned a lot of people on this site are really interested.
Regards Steve.

Hi Archie, thanks for sharing that story with us, that road between Nis and Evzoni was bad enough in the rain never mind the snow :open_mouth: .
I remember at least two drivers who had their plastic pipes melted after lighting a fire under the fuel tank. It always facinated me for some reason that when you poured methanol down the air suzies that they used to go beserk once you turned the airtaps back on :laughing: .
Regards Steve.

Mushroomman, No it wasn’t me you bumped into I went to Izmir with the BMC parts in the summer of that year, the route then was pretty longway round as we were not allowed to use the military road to Bursa, so it was out to Adapazari, turn right over the mountain to Afyon and then turn right again and run straght to Izmir.

Sooty was indeed married to the daughter of Mack trucks and that is probably why he bought them in the fist place, although he did have a few Seddon/Atkinsons when I iwas there.
I had one of the Macks for that trip and it hade this fancy two stick gearbox, but it did run well and, as you know, they have a very nice bed.

Sooty was turkish through and through but educated at Harvard in the USA. His live in Girlfriend was named Frederika. United S was his company also and the office was in Munich.

When he made me opewrations manager I quickly found out that the company was a shambles, mnost down to the way he rean it. All the tractors were on private card road fund licences, so all export loads had to be atken to Dover, by the three small mack bulldog trucks that he had taxed for this purpose and of course to tip and load trailers in the UK.

Drivers ran solo to Dover, picked up their trailer and shipped out. The problem was that as he would not service in Rainham the Turkish drivers could always be found at Van Hoves, in Belgium waiting to get repairs done. Once done they would make their way to Munich, usually cvia the Train, where they would fill up, collect enough money to get them to Istanbul, then go out and buy all sorts of goodies that they could trade with on the way down.

Once a turk hit Istanbul they would park the trucks in Erciyes yard which was just before the Londra, switch the fridges of and go home for a few days. No matter that chocolate was almost certainly going to melt as they would do a quick cool down at the border to firm it up again. I am sure that the Kuwaiti’s think that Maltezers are white and come in bunches. How we never got a claim I shall never know.

This level of performance meant that each truck was ponly doing six middle east loads a year, which is disgraceful, but if he paid them then perhaps they might have performed better. The English drivers were no better, because they were always waiting for either money or diesel.

OHS is a book on its own and I could go on and on and on about the shables that it was. It was only their size that kept them the contracts that thery had with Mars and Rowntrees.

Every morning at 1100hrs all the managers had to be in his office to give him the position with their department. I had a sheet of paper with all 75 tractors and 135 trailers and he wanted to know where every bit of the equipment was. I used to call it the daily liar as i knew ■■■■ well that there were probabl;y six trucks in the yard, another dozen waiting for rrpairs in Belgium, probably another twenty waiting for money and diesel in Munich, at least a dozen parked upin Istanbul and if we really lucky probably about ten trucks actually moving.

At one of these meetings, the phone rings and he puts the call on speakerphone as it is one of the English drivers, Reg Cook, phoning from Istanbul:

Sertel - Good morning Reg, you have a problem.

Reg- Yes MrSertel, I need diesel.

Sertel - What do you need diesel for Reg.

Reg - Truck runs on diesel, Mr Sertel.

Sertel - Reg, I don’t know why you don’t use your initiative.

Reg - Mr Sertel, truck runs on diesel, not initiative.

This should give you an insight as to how the man carried on.

Like I said I have so many stories I could relate in respect of working for Sooty.

Colonel
Your little saga brings back a few memories of when I did a stint on OHS (back in 1977/78) ! I didn’t have a Mack but a left ■■■■■■ Seddon Atki which to be honest was a fair truck for its day !!
I don’t ever recall sailing out of Dover but always an East Coast port (usually to Bremenhaven or Hamburg) and after West Germany it was full commie bloc !
New Year (1978) I went for the train & on return I trained it back from Munich to Koln as I was really short on ££’s & derv and that was the only option the guy in the Munich office gave me – what was his name ■■
Anyone know what appened to the agent at Kapikular – Youngturk ■■ Who was the young guy/agent at Agri Doguubayazit (I think he was a Kurd) spoke good English (again cannot recall his name) ■■

youngturk has a few trucks of his own now, he has the name he was given emblazoned along the side of the tilt in rather large letters, i have seen his trucks over here, does anybody know what his real name is?

HI Big Leggy, you were at OHS before me as at the time you were there I was busy doing the Middler East with my own trucks. Young Turks name was Suleyman Aksu, just for interests sake and he used to do all the paperwork at Kapicule. I too cannot remember the name of the agent at the Bazargan but I can still picture the face.
I too also used Hamburg on a short German transit permit. I used the border art Lauenburg/Holst and across DDR to Zinnwald. CZ. I used to enjoy that run down the Eastern Bloc, nice and quiet, eat cheaply and never too much hassle. I used the Komarno border(Sharp right hand turn up onto the bridge) into Humgary although I have used Raika. The new border at Medvedov came many years later. Stop at the Windmill for a meal and shower and then through the border at Zseged and on to Belgrade.

Colonel
After I posted my last missive it suddenly dawned on me that I must have gone Dover to Zeebugge (I said I didn’t recall shipping Dover) or how else would I have used the train ex Koln ■■ Senility setting in (or ouzo & raki) !!
I’m trying to think who was in the office (beside Sertel) if it was before your time – I cannot recall the name but I think he went to Hammonds at Dover !!
Windmill ? I’d forgotten that one !! Trees was later turned into Stumps & an OHS driver took his sump out there in the snow if stories are to be believed !
Last time I saw Youngturk (I was doing some insurance recovery work in 1982) and he looked badly scarred but I didn’t like to ask what had happened to him, the Kurdish guy I seem to think Mindisi rings some sort of bell. Mind you my Turkish never was very good so that could mean anything !!

The Trees was south of Zagreb but as you say they cut down the trees and then they built a motorway.

Hi Big Leggy and The Colonel, as you are driving down memory lane and going through Szeged, do you intend to turn left and go through Nadlac into Rumania ?, or will you be turning right ?, through Subotica into Yugoslavia, and if you are not going to have a mixed grill at The National in Belgrade are you hoping to make The A Frames for a leg over :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .