And so it begins...........Class 1 Learning Curve

Well,Ive just got back from my first lesson and I have to say - IT WAS AN ACE EXPERIENCE - I was a bit dubious at first cos im used to being able to watch the back of the vehicle go round every corner in the usual mirror - but not in the artic !!! Got the hang of using different mirrors for vision and guiding the trailer around corners(finding your pivot point I believe is the technical term,Im sure ROG will be along to tell me if im wrong :smiley: ).Had 3 gos at the reverse and managed it every time with assistance from my instructor who said hed had pupils who after 3 or 4 lessons were only at the same level I was capable of - so that was a real positive :slight_smile:

Anyway,to cut a long story a bit shorter :open_mouth: I really enjoyed it,avoided all the kerbs and have begun to understand the way the trailer moves when going backwards - next lesson,next thursday - will keep you posted :wink:

PIVOT POINT - yep, the foremost axle of a tandem or the middle axle of a tri-axle trailer - WELL DONE :smiley:

REVERSING - it must have “clicked” early for you - GREAT :smiley:
You must have figured out early on as to how to make the trailer go in the direction you want it to by a certain amount of “backward” thinking on the steering wheel and finding out that the only way you know where you are is to bring the unit back into an exact straight line with the trailer so that both mirrors show the same amount of trailer in each - BRILL :slight_smile:

best of luck russjp with the training and test but by sounds of your first lesson you wont need much luck, just stay cool and you’ll ace it. keep us posted anyway!

best of luck with your training mate :sunglasses:

Update - Had my second lesson today and was complimented on my driving by my instructor :open_mouth: My test date is set for the 12th of February :confused: as this is about 6 weeks away,my instructor has told me to take a couple of weeks off before i have another lesson as he feels i dont need to take more than i need,just need to concentrate on my reverse and he reckons if i fit another 4 lessons in before my test i should have no problems - so all is good with the training :laughing:

Good luck with it all

russjp:
Update - Had my second lesson today and was complimented on my driving by my instructor :open_mouth: My test date is set for the 12th of February :confused: as this is about 6 weeks away,my instructor has told me to take a couple of weeks off before i have another lesson as he feels i dont need to take more than i need,just need to concentrate on my reverse and he reckons if i fit another 4 lessons in before my test i should have no problems - so all is good with the training :laughing:

good luck m8 im just waiting till feb to take my class 2 so good luck on your class 1 m8

Good luck russip.

I envy all you “first time clickers,”

I have 7 ‘O’ levels, 2 ‘A’ levels and could i bugger make that trailer do what I wanted it to do!!!

Wish I’d known about that pivot point!

Whereabouts are you in Durham?

I am Peterlee, used Tyne and Wear LGV for my class 1 and 2.

matchbox:

There is also TTS at kinston Park which have a good rep round here

animal:

matchbox:

I Live in Shildon near Bishop Auckland :slight_smile: Someone has to :open_mouth:

AH, know it well, I work at Coundon Ind Est at Freightroute!

Anyway, good luck with the CE mate, Im still trying to get on at DHL in Stockton.

Still waiting.

matchbox:
I have 7 ‘O’ levels, 2 ‘A’ levels and could i bugger make that trailer do what I wanted it to do!!!
Wish I’d known about that pivot point!

Thought that info was given by all LGV instructors :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nope ROG, not at all. :blush:

The first I heard of a pivot point was in one of your posts! :slight_smile:

And, after reading it, after the fact so to speak, I’ve ‘clicked!’

good luck mate… it will be okay [up] :smiley:

matchbox:

Anyway, good luck with the CE mate, Im still trying to get on at DHL in Stockton.

Still waiting.

I`m doing my training with a bloke from Coundon :smiley:

Good luck with DHL mate - should i scratch your place off my list of perspective employers then ■■ :laughing:

matchbox:

Still waiting.

Know where that is not far from me

[/quote]

I Live in Shildon near Bishop Auckland :slight_smile: Someone has to :open_mouth:
[/quote]

Been through there a few time

russjp:

matchbox:

Still waiting.

I`m doing my training with a bloke from Coundon :smiley:

Good luck with DHL mate - should i scratch your place off my list of perspective employers then ■■ :laughing:

Thanks for the good wishes.

As for my current place, each to their own I’d say.

This is my first job in haulage, so I’ve nothing to compare it to, but i’ve seen in go downhill since I started.

The others seem to enjoy it cos it’s job and knock.

Well, job and knock for everyone but me and our other artic driver, who HAVE to stay behind till all the pallets are marked up and trailers tipped, but I’m on the verge of going off on a rant here, (but if anyone would like to know just what I think is wrong with my current place please askl!)

so I’ll go back to my opening comment,

Each to their own.

matchbox:
I have 7 ‘O’ levels, 2 ‘A’ levels

Perfect,somebody who can explain how to use the Scientific Calculator I got at Christmas. :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: