And another one

Is a signal necessary when passing parked cars when driving an artic.

Or is Mirrors ,position, mirrors overtake when safe ok?

The trainer on Sunday says I should always signal in the situ above even if there is a minor road on the right. He says a couple of clicks is fine. I say a couple of clicks means nothing and I may aswell not bother.

Even an artic can have a predictive position to oncomoing and following traffic.
The signal could confuse other drivers and pedestrians.

Anyway any takers?

Most of the time yes, I do 3 clicks, however you get the odd ■■■■ in a BMW that thinks your turning right and looks up the inside and gets a bit of a surprise, better that though than leaving someone who isn’t paying a great deal of attention buried in the parked vehicle! I’m guessing here but I’m surprised you have to ask didn’t you do this in a rigid?

edit ps i’m only a rigid driver,but i do see the majority of artic drivers doing the same as i

chippy:
Is a signal necessary when passing parked cars when driving an artic.

Or is Mirrors ,position, mirrors overtake when safe ok?

The trainer on Sunday says I should always signal in the situ above even if there is a minor road on the right. He says a couple of clicks is fine. I say a couple of clicks means nothing and I may aswell not bother.

Even an artic can have a predictive position to oncomoing and following traffic.
The signal could confuse other drivers and pedestrians.

Anyway any takers?

If not already in an early road position (lined up very early to pass) then yes, 3 flicks (Alert, Direct, Inform - ADI) are required - why - because you are going to change position on the road and all others behind you can see is a brick wall in front of them plus, what if a motorcycle that is hidden behind you was thinking about doing an overtake or a person in one of the parked cars was thinking about opening an o/s door :slight_smile:

More than 3 flicks in the situation you describe could be misleading to other road users.

This is the same for DSA and advanced driving - blimey :exclamation: - they agree :open_mouth:

If someone will benifit from the signal then the answer is do it. A signal is an intention to change direction so folks behind may benefit or on coming traffic may benefit from your actions.

Ever wondered why they make some modern vehicles where the indicator will click 3 times with a slight touch :exclamation: :exclamation:

Signals used when overtaking parked vehicles is not used in car driver training anymore. And indeed may result in a fail.

I just wanted to clarify the position with large vehicles. I feel three clicks is a waste of time but I will go along with the theory at least :confused:

The makers of cars as far as signal engineering are concerned leave alot to be desired.

chippy:
Signals used when overtaking parked vehicles is not used in car driver training anymore. And indeed may result in a fail.

Advanced driving puts this simply - if someone will benefit from a signal then use it - I would imagine that this is the same for the DSA (cars) but I stand to be corrected

chippy:
I just wanted to clarify the position with large vehicles. I feel three clicks is a waste of time but I will go along with the theory at least :confused:

The makers of cars as far as signal engineering are concerned leave alot to be desired.

I use the 3 clicks control a lot but in the appropriate situations -
Example - going road ahead at a roundabout where an exit signal is required - touch indicator for 3 clicks when front wheels cannot steer into the turn before the one I want and by the time that the last click has finished, my front wheels are starting to go into the exit I want.
This is for a standard sized roundabout - I use full longer indicator (if someone to receive it) on larger ones

On my recent car test ('06), indicating to overtake a parked car is frowned upon even when cars are following you (over use of indicators), on my rigid training not signalling is frowned upon even when you may think no-one will benefit (apparently there could be someone hidden behind you).

Personally it makes sense to me :open_mouth: :confused:

i failed my c+e test because i indicated to pass parked cars.

gogzy:

Hard to make a comment on that unless the EXACT situation at the time is known :slight_smile:

basically passing through browburn, smallish town but always parked cars on both sides.

indicated to go out, then indicated to pull back in,

now i know it could confuse folk into thinkin im pulling over but if the folk behind had any common sense they wouldnt pull round a truck thats overtaking cars and just sit back and wait to see what he does.

then indicated to pull back in,

OUCH :exclamation: - that’s the bit that was incorrect.

Look at it this way - if you were following a vehicle that had to pull out for a hazard on a single carriageway into the oncoming traffic flow lane, what would you EXPECT them to do once the hazard had been passed :question:

I, and I believe most on here would say, ‘move back to the left’ which would be correct.

Unless you are changing from one forward lane to another in this type of situation, then there is no need to signal left - in fact it is likely to give false information to other road users.

Ouch indeed Rog. The Poles and others from Europe have this habit. Very dangerous one at that.

I think the signal issue needs some sort of answer.

If you signal to pass what are you saying to opposing traffic/ other road users?

I am coming through? I am not going to wait. I am turning right.

If you have no signal on and have not given a left signal and are not close to the kerb then following traffic think you’re doing what?

Also would it not be obvious to the opposing traffic that your intension is to wait for a suitable gap. :arrow_right:

chippy:
If you signal to pass what are you saying to opposing traffic/ other road users?

I am coming through? I am not going to wait. I am turning right.

answer = “I intend to” - why - because once you are ‘doing it’ then the signal is no longer of any use - your vehicle position now says it all

Therefore mirrors , position , rolling holdback, mirrors and pass

The opposing traffic may be unsure of the intension with the signal therefore causing unnessary inconvienience to other road users.

Just a thought :wink:

chippy:
Therefore mirrors , position , rolling holdback, mirrors and pass

Mirrors, Signal, Mirrors, Position, Mirrors, Speed, Mirrors, Gear, Mirrors, Acceleration

chippy:
The opposing traffic may be unsure of the intension with the signal therefore causing unnessary inconvienience to other road users.

Just a thought :wink:

The Position and Speed will give opposing traffic information

gogzy:

Gogzy. Do you remember why you failed for this and what the circumstances were at the time?

chippy:

gogzy:

Gogzy. Do you remember why you failed for this and what the circumstances were at the time?

Look 4 posts above :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

chippy:

gogzy:

Look 4 posts above :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Rog I misread the post thinking this is what Gogzy normally does. :cry:

It seems everone is agreed that the 3 clicks is the way to go. I like yourself being in the advanced mode have to look at all possibilities to whether a signal is used or not.

There is one point I would like to mention, when doing my advanced training ect I was always told by those concerned that for a signal to be of any use it must click 4 to 6 times to be of benefit and in some cases longer. This is why the 3 clicks seem odd.

I suppose the question is who will these three clicks benefit if noticed at all?

I am sure you may have heard the phrase ’ Splash and dash’. :wink:

chippy:
I suppose the question is who will these three clicks benefit if noticed at all?

I am sure you may have heard the phrase ’ Splash and dash’. :wink:

As explained before - the 3 ckicks is the minimum for someone else to notice - more needed if you fell the circumstances warrant it.

’ Splash and dash’ - never heard of it :exclamation: or seen it written in any driving book that I have read.