An open note to truck manufacturers

Alright, modern trucks are very nice, but there’s still room for improvement. Let’s make a few points for the manufacturer’s consideration.

1: If your biggest, premium cab, needs a spoiler on the roof to economically haul a standard 4m tall euro trailer, it’s not big enough.
2: If your cab has no easily accessible cup holders in reach of the driver, put some in please?
3: I know you make one cab shell for both left hand, and right hand drive models, can you PLEASE use some of the empty spots you didnt fill with gear for storage?
4: If you’re not DAF, why don’t you have the lengthened cab as at least an option? Daf has had a 6" longer cab for… what is it? 10 years or more■■?
5: This may annoy some 3rd party companies, but PLEASE offer the second bunk in long haul trucks as a no-cost option, with a set of cupboards as the alternative? All my second bunk gets used for is a shelf.
6: Please choose plastics that aren’t dust magnets for your dashes.
7: Heater controls below your kneecap aren’t good, nor are useful controls you have to stretch to reach.
8: Can someone please design a new type of truck headlight that can easily switch from continental driving to UK work without buying a new pack of stickers every time you cross the water?
9: You wouldn’t make a house with only 2 sockets in it, any long distance tramping truck should have 4 or more scattered about the cab please, preferably some of them 12v with a decently powerful voltage dropper. And all marked with their voltage please.
10: Electronic oil guages are all very well, but if you fit them, please make sure they won’t go wrong ever, if you can’t do that, then a full length dipstick that means I won’t have to check the oil by tipping the cab because the electronics only stop complaining about high oil levels when it’s so low the dipstick is in no danger of getting wet.
11: There is no need for any control to be mounted on the floor any more unless its a gear lever for a manual.
12: Please provide a space for us to mount sat-navs and hour guards and their sucker mountings that lets us past VOSA checkpoints without getting whined at?

Thank you for reading my list of points, suggestions, and plain whines about current truck designs. I hope it will do some good.

That should do for now. If anyone has any more hints and tips, please add them below?

Can’t argue with that

1. Mirror wipers pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. My arms are only long enough to reach the drivers side when mobile. and it would be nice to see what’s happening around me and when going backwards.

2. Sun visors that don’t leave gaps between the front and side windows.

3. What Alikat said.

You forgot to say what type of digi tacho you prefer :slight_smile:

ROG:

Trying to make it generic ROG mate. I personally liked the stoneridge in Scanias, but I have a DAF with a VDO. They both eat your hours though.

all the above plus…

Built in air gun for dusting clothes (or at very least a connection for it as volvo USED to fit)

remote controls for radio on steering wheel (Volvo have em not sure about the rest)

Built in satnav (with bridge and weight info)

get rid of that stupid clutch pedal in a scania auto, no one else needs one so why do you, or just stick in a gear lever and be done with it :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’m with you on the air connector Toowise, but the satnav is a personal thing, could be an option though. I don’t need remote controls for my stereo, since it’s under a foot away in my Daf 105, but in wagons where it’s above your head, or tucked away a bit, I can see the need for them.
The clutch pedal in the scania is great when coupling up or manouvering, but utterly pointless otherwise, so I’m halfway with you on that one Ady1.

I would suggest not mounting the radios above the windscreen, this may be okay for taller people but if you are short like me then it can be a real distraction having to stand up to change stations.

you forgot the cassette toilet under the passenger seat?

what about the ability to completey remove/fold away the passenger seat to allow a bit more room for a fridge/bin/bag storage.

That’s why I let you lot add to the list Glibsa mate, I’m a driver of very little brain, and forget stuff :stuck_out_tongue: I like both your suggestions Glibsa, though they seem to contradict each other. Sure I’ve seen some Actros models with a foldup passenger seat, could be an option for others to look at, or the loo instead.

allikat:
That’s why I let you lot add to the list Glibsa mate, I’m a driver of very little brain, and forget stuff :stuck_out_tongue: I like both your suggestions Glibsa, though they seem to contradict each other. Sure I’ve seen some Actros models with a foldup passenger seat, could be an option for others to look at, or the loo instead.

i was actually joking about the loo but i guess it might be possible to put it under the chair chassis but have the ability to remove the seat and back of the chair (or completely fold it down behind the chair chassis or under the bunk).

i totally agree with the solid flat panel for the sat nav/DHG, i have often wondered about getting a piece of toughened glass cut to size and drilled and screwed to the dash somewhere (but lack of open space gives this a problem with placing it)

A seating/tabelearea similar to the Volvo office pack/Stralis.

I don’t particularly like sitting on the bunk to cook/eat especially when the silly little pull out table doesn’t come back far enough

(Daf 95 driver)

Additional reverse lights behind the driver and pasenger doors directed 30 to 45 degree on the side to show you where your front wheels are going when reversing in the dark would also be a usefull thing.

And what about headlights following the wheels when turning like in Citroen DS?

not directly aimed at truck manufacturers but trailer builders.

a more to add to orys’ post…

what about a row of powerful reversing lights instead a single poxy light on the bar that is about as bright as a shaving mirror light■■?

Giblsa:
not directly aimed at truck manufacturers but trailer builders.

a more to add to orys’ post…

what about a row of powerful reversing lights instead a single poxy light on the bar that is about as bright as a shaving mirror light■■?

That also may apply to the rigid lorries!

ROG:

Now that’s an easy one ROG…

NONE :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1. An extenable arm to wipe a bum.
  2. Red wallpaper to give the cab a womb like feel.
  3. A hanging trinket which plays lullaby when wound up.
  4. A thought controlled steering wheel as it is too much effort to actually steer nowadays don’t you know?
  5. Independant air vents to blow warm air to the left side of my face, moderately warm air onto my feet and cold air onto my brow would be nice.
  6. A conversation pod where the passenger seat is
  7. An extendable arm to feed me which also makes a noise similar to an aeroplane when going into your mouth
    8, A milk bottle to pee into but fixed onto a chain so it cannot be thrown onto the hard shoulder
  8. A tachograph rules chart laminated and fixed to within no more than 45 degrees at any one time from the field of vision
  9. Did I mention a mechanical bum wiping arm? Yes, I think I did.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

In fifty years time we’ll still be moaning.

A dash display that shows, at the very least, your current days driving hours, driving time used / left etc. Even better if it could calculate three weeks worth, it can then work out any compensation needed etc. Its high time the truck was capable of working out and showing you either constantly of at a touch of a button what you’ve done and what you’ve got left etc.

Compulsory large tilt and slide electronic roof hatch, not made of clear glass either.

Double glazed windows all round for better, sound, hot and cold insulation, as well as extra insulation all round the cab.

All mirrors to be heated and electronically adjusted from the drivers seat. Only one does this so far, but their controls don’t last long.

Auto boxes banned, only sissies need them and they’re rubbish anyway. :smiling_imp:

Secondary full controls for interior lights, roof hatch, night heater, windows and radio to be put in the centre of the back wall above the main bunk, which can be raised or transplanted to the upper bunk area for those that sleep up there.

Diff lock to be compulsory, having TC does not make up for it.

Electronic nearside sun blind needed.

1/ If possible think about driv ers that happen to be over 6’2" most lorries seem to be made for dwarfs.